ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

McAfee SiteAdvisor

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
SiteAdvisor WAS a decent site at the start.  I became a reviewer there early on and the developer was actually a very nice guy who was both accessible and amenable to correct any false positives that users and/or site owners pointed out to him - as long as they did have a reasonable and provable explanation.  I corresponded with him on a number of occasions about various web site ratings.  However I knew it couldn't last.

After it picked up steam and became so popular, (It actually was very popular at one point, even among the techie communities) of course a select handful of big companies - including Google and McAfee, as I understand it - started contacting him left and right looking to make a deal.  McAfee's offer, from what I understand, was not necessarily the most lucrative but they somehow managed to convince him (brainwashing perhaps?) that they could do the most good with SiteAdvisor based on their "vast and respected" computer security experience and history.  Ha!  What was he thinking?  (Me? I'm convinced that McAfee probably DID offer the most moolah and that the deal was made based purely on the dollar signs in his eyes).

Anyway McAfee f****d it up about as bad as most of us expected them to do.  And now it has become more popular in some quarters, but not by more knowledgeable techies.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version