ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Network cable unplugged" - except it isn't!

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Nonplussed ... I have a Windows XP computer that constantly says 'Network Cable Unplugged'. Occasionally it tries to connect (and there are flashes of activity on the router) but then fails. It was working fine until recently.

I have checked the following:

* The cable is fine (I have tried replacing it with a cable that works fine on another PC),
    * the device manager reports the adapter as working properly and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers
    * I tried disabling mobo network interface and installing a new network card (one I know works) - it installed fine with drivers etc. but gave the same error "cable unplugged"
    * I have moved the cables around the router including to a port that works on another computer

Now I'm stuck - I have looked at the MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389/en-us and none of the troubleshooting steps offer a working solution.

Anyone got any ideas where to go next?

I assume something in Windows XP networking must have got corrupted. Anyone have an idea how to remove and reinstall the networking stuff without a full reinstall of Windows (or having to go through activation again)?

TIA

40hz:
You might want to try WinSock XP Fix.

Write up and download link can be found at:
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_XP_Fix/winsockxpfix.html

This little gem cures a lot of oddball issues.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Thanks I'll take a look.

Been searching the web on this and there seems to be a lot of hassles with this problem. Solutions seem to range from turning off power management, choosing a specific connection speed to attacking connectors with alcohol soaked 'buddies' ! There doesn't seem to be any consistency!

I wonder whether it could be adware/malware related - the computer has been used by two teenagers that have 'promiscuous' browsing habits! In which case the winsock fix may do the trick.

manimatters:
is it a usb router by any chance?

Carol Haynes:
No it is a LinkSys WAP 54g type (sorry can't remember the exact number). Can't help wondering if it isn't the router-of-all-evil (I had one and had lots of issues). The connection is from a motherboard ethernet connector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version