ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox 3 annoyance: Keying-in disabled in file upload control

(1/3) > >>

lanux128:
those who have been using Firefox 3 may have noticed this change. Firefox 3 now by default blocks any input on the file upload edit field, instead a file-browse dialog is opened. >:( This makes the text field un-editable and to make matters worse, the devs are proclaiming that this behaviour is to prevent 'exploits'.

there hasn't been much news on this - i did find a blog entry, though.

• http://codangaems.blogspot.com/2008/06/firefox-3s-file-upload-box.html

mouser:
this is totally unacceptable to me -- i need to be able to paste screenshot paths in the file upload box!

beermatt:
this is totally unacceptable to me -- i need to be able to paste screenshot paths in the file upload box!
-mouser (July 04, 2008, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not convinced this is a big issue - previously you could click on the field and then paste, now you click the field and a file requester opens - but you can still paste the full path of the file you want to upload into the requester (works for me anyway)..

lanux128:
to each his own but previously i'd just right-click and paste the filename in a single action. now this new behaviour is seriously hindering me since i do a lot of copy-pasting, hence this post.

justice:
There's bigger things to worry about, but if it's an input box then you should be able to input text, any other input box does. Basic usability. Couldn't find any explanation from the devs though so whether it's a legitimate reasoning or quick hack it's impossible to judge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version