topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In need of a "system startup manager"  (Read 12198 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In need of a "system startup manager"
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:55 PM »
That is about as good of a name I can think of for it.
I am looking for a program that will run at startup, and that is the only thing that runs at startup.
This program would then open a window and show all the programs that are supposed to run at startup, and let me manually open them.
The reason I want this, is so that I can let all the programs that start quickly to open, and then I can open the other programs that take for ever to open.
The closest program I can find is r2 Studio's startup delayer, because I can make the programs that take forever to load start several seconds after my system starts, that way the other programs have time to load.
[Insert really cool signature here]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In need of a "system startup manager"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Just curious. Why would you want to start them manually as opposed to using a delayed start-up?

If you actually do want to go manual, you could disable your CPU hogs from autostarting in any one of several startup manager applications. Glary Utilites free edition has a basic startup manager that works quite well for that.  It also can give you the full path to each startup item. Using that information, you could then create shortcuts to each disabled item and place them in a folder that opens when you start Windows. You could then invoke them from there.

One suggestion. If you're running an Nvidia based graphic card, try disabling nwiz if you don't need it. You only need it if you are running nView under WinXP. If you do need it, take a look at this article for a possible fix: http://winhlp.com/node/188

Another app that seems to cause startup delays is SpywareTerminator. You can avoid the delay by disabling the real time shield option before you do a shutdown. ST won't automatically re-enable it after a restart. Just don't forget to turn it back on prior to going out to the web!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:24 PM by 40hz »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:28 PM »
I guess I could put them in a folder and start them that way.
I wanted to start them manually, because delaying them doesn't always work, because everything else that starts up might take longer to start than normally, and then delaying the cpu hogs would start up at the same time as the other programs.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58 PM »
I'd just use a combination of the following: create folder of links to your CPU intensive programs on your desktop and disable them from starting and use startup delayer to stagger everything else (I suspect this is what you're meaning in your post above).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:46 AM »
there are some long threads on startup managers on the forum:
https://www.donation...arch=startup+manager

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Delay and delay might not always be the same... I mean, you could just create a much longer delay. I have a little crowd starting without any delay, and the rest are delayed for several minutes (in fact up to ten minutes!) with the first of them being delayed for more than two minutes, to make sure antivirus etcetera all have ended their updates.

I use r2 Startup Delayer.

plutchok

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Sorry I'm jumping in so late here, but if anyone's still listening...

<a href="http://www.winpatrol.com">WinPatrol</a> is an excellent task manager utility that, among its numerous useful functions, lets you choose the delay intervals for startup applications.

I now prefer <a href="http://www.anvir.com">AnVir Task Manager</a>, with similar functionality. However, AnVir's main drawback, in my opinion, is that the startup delay is not configurable -- it's 1 minute for all startup apps you choose to delay.

Both come in free and paid versions. I  briefly reviewed WinPatrol in post <a href="http://jonathanstool...l-your-startups.html">#11</a> of my utilites blog, and AnVir in post <a href="http://jonathanstool...love-in-my-life.html">#57</a>.

I hope this is helpful.

jojo99

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:30 AM »
I use Startup Delayer.  However the author isn't responsive with new releases very frequently.  I sent a list of suggestions to him and he said he would consider them for the next release.  That was back in January.  His last refresh was Dec 2007.

However, the reason I use SD is that it has proven to be a a good solution for a problem that some people seem to experience with WinXP - which is after booting, there are tray icons missing for apps that are actually running.  Previously, the only way I could find to fix this issue was to do a logoff/on again after a fresh system restart (which was a pain and more time consuming).  Now with SD, I don't have that problem anymore.   BTW: I have 32 apps showing in my tray right now.  I am also running WinXP SP3.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:23 AM »
hi jojo, thanks for that tip

btw, you could also be posting here - What Programs Run In Your System Tray?
or here -
Must-have apps in the System tray?
 :D
Tom