topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TodoPaper  (Read 16934 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TodoPaper
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:12 AM »
A while back, I wrote a review of TaskPaper over on MacSpark.net (http://www.macspark....-win-a-free-license/).  The truth is that since then I've fallen once again into my old habit of tweaking the tool and not doing the necessary.  I played for a few months with RTM, again, and then settled to paper and my trusty, familiar old Moleskine pocket notebook (the same one I've carried everywhere for the past three years).  But now and then I have opened TaskPaper, updated my lists, downloaded the latest development version, and every time I've done this I've breathed a sigh of pleasure and relief.  There's something about plain text that I find so appealing.

But since I work on a Mac at home and on PCs during the day, I've searched for the best way to carry my lists.  What I've done in the past is to use the portable version of Notepad++, which is a fine solution and does the job perfectly well, but really only to a minimum of usability when you compare with what's possible in TaskPaper.

And then along came TodoPaper ($29.99, http://widefido.com/products/todopaper/), which bills itself as inspired by TaskPaper.  The two programs are, in fact very similar, especially when you compare TodoPaper to the recent development versions of TaskPaper.

Both are really sophisticated envelopes for plain text files.  Type in

a test project:
- one task @computer
- another task @errand
- yet another task @call

and TodoPaper turns your text into the following list:

todopaper1.jpg

The @tags are clickable - so clicking @computer brings up a list of all my tasks with that tag, across all of my projects.  Click in the checkbox to the left of an item and TodoPaper adds @done and the date, and makes the font strikeout:

todopaper2.jpg

Of course, you might prefer to simply delete done tasks, but I like seeing what I've completed - and by clicking anwhere in the line and then using ctrl+down, you can move the completed task to the bottom of the list.

There are a few other keyboard shortcuts: ctrl+up to move an item up; ctrl+y to add the @today tag; ctrl+[1-9] to add an @priority tag; and if you prefer keyboard shortcuts to ':' at a line end, ctrl+p to start a new project; and ctrl+t instead of '-' at the start of a new line to add a new task.

Alt+o brings up a document outline, showing a list of all your projects or your tags (you choose which from a pull-down menu) down the left side of the window:

todopaper3.jpg

Another brilliant feature: you can tap ctrl+space from anywhere in Windows to bring up a quick entry box, from which you can add items to any of your projects.

todopaper4.jpg

That's about it.

Remember that I was looking for a way to use TaskPaper when I'm away from my Mac (never a happy time of the day for me).  Of course, I could have continued to use Notepad++, since the files saved by TaskPaper are ordinary text files, but TodoPaper adds so much functionality and elegance, and it works just like TaskPaper does.  Both offer a brilliantly simple and elegant to do list solution, and with TodoPaper on my USB drive I can now access my lists from just about any machine I find myself on.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:15 AM by m_s »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TodoPaper
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47 PM »
looks pretty neat m_s  :up:  thanks for the review
Tom

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:27 AM »
ToDoPaper is coming up on Bits du Jour on July 13th for 51% off ($14.70 instead of $29.99)

http://www.bitsdujou.../software/todopaper/

Carl

Jarius Elliott

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19 PM »
I hate to be negative, but $30 for what is essentially a raw beta product? Can't get the ctrl+space function to work; keyboard shortcuts are not accurate or misstated; lack of portability. Many of the functions of ToDoPaper can be replicated in a simple text application. What am I missing? I want to keep an open mind.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Hmmm... doesn't seen raw beta to me.  I was using tudumo for my to do list needs, but the plain text abilities of this won me over.  Paid $15 during the BDJ promotion, and haven't regretted it.

Allen Dang

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:55 AM »
This is really the one I'm looking for! I just swiched from Mac to PC, still hunting for a replacer of TaskPaper, here it is!