ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Using URL-catching technology to save lives

(1/4) > >>

TomAlciere:
Fancy yourself a high school senior at a student assembly the day before the prom, and they're showing this playlist:

http://udadd.com/media/Playlist_for_high_school_audience.wpl

It consists of a Windows Media Player playlist linking to TV news videos which stream to the end-user from the TV stations' websites. Therefore, I'm not infringing their copyright.

No way the students will drink and drive after watching these TV news clips. Trouble is, I'm still learning how to capture some of the more challenging video URL's and I don't even know why the TV stations wouldn't want their TV news clips to be put to this proper use.

Tom Alciere
Webmaster
Underage Drinkers Against Drunk Driving

Lashiec:
Mmmm, can you explain why the site has a search box for a webring that lists the best drinks and drinking sites? Isn't that, you know, contradictory? Also, as much as I'm against underage drinking and drunk driving, wouldn't be better to link to the media page instead to the actual playlist?

Anyway, if you want to capture more videos, I guess the use of URLSnooper could help you :)

mwb1100:
Mmmm, can you explain why the site has a search box for a webring that lists the best drinks and drinking sites?
-Lashiec (July 02, 2008, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, FWIW the name of the group is Underage Drinkers Against Drunk Driving, so apparently they're all for the drinking part, just not the drunk driving part.

Lashiec:
Oh, my bad, you know, when they talk against drunk driving (I wonder who will talk in favour of...), you take for granted they're also against underage drinking :-)

I guess my alarms were ticked by the way the question is expressed, with so many spam as lately in the forum, posting external links to your own site for us to check something and raising the question about it afterwards does not play nice with my paranoia :-D (being so late in the night is not a good thing as well). My apologies :-[

jgpaiva:
I had the same reaction, lashiec. But a google search turned up nothing, so i deduced that this wasn't result of a bot's actions. I still think it's spam, as it's completelly unrelated to DC, but i'll leave that for mouser to decide :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version