topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Diablo 3 announced!  (Read 29441 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Diablo 3 announced!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 02:45 PM »
I am (slowly) playing D3, and if you liked D2 I think you are going to like this as well, it feels much the same. The graphics are spectacular (for isometric 3D) and make me stop every now and then just to check out for instance the way the sand sweeps over the desert surface, or the details in the backgrounds :-*.

Its fairly easy so far, but I guess that is the point of normal difficulty, to allow everyone to play.

Just for the record, I am not playing this in the minmax way some people do with specific "builds" and powerleveling, I am doing my best to just take it slow and enjoy seeing some of the characters I remember from way back again :Thmbsup:.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Here's a video (series) that promises to be entertaining: A computer illiterate grandma playing Diablo 3 on hardcore mode.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43 AM »
Just for the record, I am not playing this in the minmax way some people do with specific "builds" and powerleveling, I am doing my best to just take it slow and enjoy seeing some of the characters I remember from way back again :Thmbsup:.

That can get you all the way to Inferno... but then there's no way around min/maxing, and you need to either be extremely persistent farming the same chapter over and over, or be extremely lucky to get decent drops, or... spend money on the RMAH.

Apart from the initial server problems, D3 has been a pretty enjoyable experience. It's not as gritty as Diablo 1, it's simpler than Diablo 2, but... it's decent enough and it's pretty. The best thing about it has been progressing with a group of friends while chatting on Skype.

The inferno skill level is frustrating, though. You basically only have one viable spec per character class, and everything is so extremely gear dependent - it matters a lot more than skills. Combine that with the frustratingly low decent-item drop rate because Blizzard wants you to spend money on the RMAH, and well - not sure if I'm going to fully complete the game.
- carpe noctem

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 11:56 AM »
+1

That is roughly the point I have gotten to as well. In order to survive on one act on inferno, you need the gear from the next one, which means endless grinding or spending real money, neither of which really hits my idea of fun gaming :(. It's a nice game up to there though, and I had fun playing it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 01:15 PM »
About the grinding, there's a small thing I find slightly interesting:
I didn't mind grinding in World Of Warcrack.

But I guess that's because (except for a few insane endeavors, like trying to obtain Zin'Rokh through archaeology), you weren't battling an über-unfriendly PRNG. You usually had some idea how long it would take you to achieve your grind-goal. Also, inferno without proper gear is hard, whereas grinding in WOW was kinda zen-like and meditative.
- carpe noctem

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 08:07 PM »
2 stars on Amazon from 2777 reviews.. yet 3500+ likes. Just how does that work!? :-\