ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to Linux; how do you not flop back to the world of Windows??

<< < (8/10) > >>

Renegade:
I went to start some Linux development today, only to discover that I should actually do it in Windows. :( The irony just about killed me.

40hz:
I went to start some Linux development today, only to discover that I should actually do it in Windows. :( The irony just about killed me.
-Renegade (April 21, 2011, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting! (And very funny!) :Thmbsup:

But why was that?

Your preferred compiler is Windows only?

Or are you thinking in terms of .NET - and planning on walking <*thunder rumbles*> The Dark Vale of Mono!!! <*lightning flashes - woman screams*>  ;D

zridling:
I think that's one of the daunting things for people. e.g. What's a window environment? And why would I want one? And what's the difference?-Renegade (April 20, 2011, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade knows the answer to that rhetorical question, but for someone new to considering Linux, a window environment is more or less the basic GUI, which can then be altered throughout using "Themes." Windows does themes, but most people stick with the default. The window environment is just that -- a window or view to the apps on your system. Gnome comes with many different apps than KDE does. Others like Xfce can share between them. At installation, load the apps you would use and uncheck those you would not. Both KDE and Gnome come with DVD burning software, browsers, system apps, choice of file managers, basic games, LibreOffice, photo management software, image editor, scanning, renamer/s, document viewer in Okular (including PDF), FTP client, text editor/s, and so many others you'll be drunk with choices.

Some are excellent. Some are very good. Many are good. Whatever you don't like, you can try an alternative. Uninstalling one and installing a new one is as easy as checking/unchecking a checkbox in a list of similar apps. That's how hard Linux is these days. I find working with my wife's Win7 laptop far more complex. But it's what you get used to. But when you want to upgrade or try an entirely new distro, that's when Linux really pays off. You're not locked in.

Renegade:
-Renegade (April 21, 2011, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting! (And very funny!) :Thmbsup:

But why was that? -40hz (April 21, 2011, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

See below... Muahahahah~!

Your preferred compiler is Windows only? -40hz (April 21, 2011, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

No... The plot is much deeper...

Or are you thinking in terms of .NET - and planning on walking <*thunder rumbles*> The Dark Vale of Mono!!! <*lightning flashes - woman screams*>  ;D
-40hz (April 21, 2011, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes~!

I was looking for a GUI kit, and decided to try out WX.NET. However, it looks like I'll need to use my Windows box because the tarball wasn't available for Linux when I checked, and the samples wouldn't run on Linux. I need to check more into what's going on, but it was just one of those forehead slapping moments.

Sigh... (A little later...) Just got it on the Windows box, and it looks like nothing is working there either... I can just see it now... This is going to be one of those things that requires a sledgehammer to get to work right...

MilesAhead:
[just in case noone noticed, this thread was 2 years old and was revived by necro spamming by a bot :P ]
-jgpaiva (April 20, 2011, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but Linux doesn't really change all that much in 2 years.

Anyway, to stick in my $.02, if you have room, avoid rebooting into the other OS by having several machines networked.  Give a kick and roll your swivel chair to the machine with the OS and apps you need at that moment.

I vote for Mandriva One rather than Ubuntu. In any case, as long as the Linux flavor is set up to use APT then it's much simpler to install and configure apps than in the old days.

Plus Linux will still scream on a machine that's a few years old.  The new PC you bought with Windows7 on it, well you might as well just leave W7 on it and network it.  The four year old PC, stick Mandriva on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version