topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Switching to Linux; how do you not flop back to the world of Windows??  (Read 31090 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've tried Linux over, and over, and over again.

<snip... though all of this applies too />

It's just that Windows does everything I need my home PC to do, and Linux is still more trouble than it's worth for daily use.

^ This.  x1000.  I keep thinking I'm missing out on something, and I'll try it.  Then I'll remember why I don't use it for everyday needs.  And then all is right with the world again.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows does everything I need my home PC to do, and Linux is still more trouble than it's worth for daily use.

If that's the case, stick with Windows as your main computing environment, and cruise Linux when and if:

• it makes sense to do so
  • you're curious about something
  • you're bored with Windows or want some variety

Unless you have a political axe to grind (or some mutated Apple fanboy molecule has entered your bloodstream) there's no need to ever pick one over the other.  Use Windows, Linux, or both. It's all about choice. Not about taking sides in some imaginary battle. And there's absolutely no sane reason to exclusively use Linux other than if it works better for you.

Even a Linux advocate like myself wouldn't ask you to do any more than you've already done. You tried it. And after you did, you decided it didn't bring enough to the party for you to completely switch over to it.

You're not missing anything. You're just using your head.

If something ever happens to change your mind, Linux will be waiting for you. And free for the download. :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[just in case noone noticed, this thread was 2 years old and was revived by necro spamming by a bot :P ]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh well...

I would have said the same thing two years ago anyway.  :-[

(Gotta check the dates...gotta check the dates... :-\ )

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[just in case noone noticed, this thread was 2 years old and was revived by necro spamming by a bot :P ]

Oops.  I didn't notice the bot's post... just cthorpe's...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let's update to 2011.
(1) If I were considering Linux today, I'd spend time with 2-3 window environments and see which one suited me. (For me, I settled on KDE after v.4.0 and I haven't looked back. Extremely customizable and has everything I need.) Then I'd go find the best implementation of KDE within a few distros. (My favorite for a while now has been openSUSE.) No need to load anything, just use the LiveCDs to test on your system.

(2) Remember that unless you're different than most people anymore, i.e., a programmer, administrator, etc., you are probably going to be spending most of your time in the browser. Thus which OS you use to get to that browser is less important than ever. Me, I got tired of buying Microsoft products and buying in to proprietary formats. So I made the switch and have enjoyed the savings.

(3) Use what you like, just be ready to deal with its -- or its company's -- quirks. And no, Adobe still doesn't do Photoshop for Linux if that's a showstopper!
 ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Let's update to 2011.
(1) If I were considering Linux today, I'd spend time with 2-3 window environments and see which one suited me. (For me, I settled on KDE after v.4.0 and I haven't looked back. Extremely customizable and has everything I need.) Then I'd go find the best implementation of KDE within a few distros. (My favorite for a while now has been openSUSE.) No need to load anything, just use the LiveCDs to test on your system.

I think that's one of the daunting things for people. e.g. What's a window environment? And why would I want one? And what's the difference?

Customization can be very difficult as options can be overwhelming for people. I think this is one of the reasons for Apple's success: There's the Apple way and the highway. It's very simple and easy to understand.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Dammit.  I bit on it.  My bad.  Though I still stand by my statements, and who doesn't love a good ol' linux vs. windows fight?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
who doesn't love a good ol' linux vs. windows fight?

True. ;D

IMO some of the very best and most insightful (is that a word?) posts I've ever read were here during Linux/FOSS ...um...'discussions.'

Didn't matter if the comments were for or against. Most were well considered and very well written. Learned a lot reading and participating in some of those threads. Sharpened my thinking and deepened my respect for more than one DoCo member. (Good stuff!)
 8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMO some of the very best and most insightful (is that a word?) posts I've ever read were here during Linux/FOSS ...um...'discussions.'

Didn't matter if the comments were for or against. Most were well considered and very well written. Learned a lot reading and participating in some of those threads. Sharpened my thinking and deepened my respect for more than one DoCo member. (Good stuff!)

This, definitely.  One of the reasons that I dove back into it a bit after I started frequenting the boards. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I went to start some Linux development today, only to discover that I should actually do it in Windows. :( The irony just about killed me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I went to start some Linux development today, only to discover that I should actually do it in Windows. :( The irony just about killed me.

Interesting! (And very funny!) :Thmbsup:

But why was that?

Your preferred compiler is Windows only?

Or are you thinking in terms of .NET - and planning on walking <*thunder rumbles*> The Dark Vale of Mono!!! <*lightning flashes - woman screams*>  ;D

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:37 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think that's one of the daunting things for people. e.g. What's a window environment? And why would I want one? And what's the difference?

Renegade knows the answer to that rhetorical question, but for someone new to considering Linux, a window environment is more or less the basic GUI, which can then be altered throughout using "Themes." Windows does themes, but most people stick with the default. The window environment is just that -- a window or view to the apps on your system. Gnome comes with many different apps than KDE does. Others like Xfce can share between them. At installation, load the apps you would use and uncheck those you would not. Both KDE and Gnome come with DVD burning software, browsers, system apps, choice of file managers, basic games, LibreOffice, photo management software, image editor, scanning, renamer/s, document viewer in Okular (including PDF), FTP client, text editor/s, and so many others you'll be drunk with choices.

Some are excellent. Some are very good. Many are good. Whatever you don't like, you can try an alternative. Uninstalling one and installing a new one is as easy as checking/unchecking a checkbox in a list of similar apps. That's how hard Linux is these days. I find working with my wife's Win7 laptop far more complex. But it's what you get used to. But when you want to upgrade or try an entirely new distro, that's when Linux really pays off. You're not locked in.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Interesting! (And very funny!) :Thmbsup:

But why was that?

See below... Muahahahah~!

Your preferred compiler is Windows only?

No... The plot is much deeper...

Or are you thinking in terms of .NET - and planning on walking <*thunder rumbles*> The Dark Vale of Mono!!! <*lightning flashes - woman screams*>  ;D

Yes~!

I was looking for a GUI kit, and decided to try out WX.NET. However, it looks like I'll need to use my Windows box because the tarball wasn't available for Linux when I checked, and the samples wouldn't run on Linux. I need to check more into what's going on, but it was just one of those forehead slapping moments.

Sigh... (A little later...) Just got it on the Windows box, and it looks like nothing is working there either... I can just see it now... This is going to be one of those things that requires a sledgehammer to get to work right...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yeah, but Linux doesn't really change all that much in 2 years.

Anyway, to stick in my $.02, if you have room, avoid rebooting into the other OS by having several machines networked.  Give a kick and roll your swivel chair to the machine with the OS and apps you need at that moment.

I vote for Mandriva One rather than Ubuntu. In any case, as long as the Linux flavor is set up to use APT then it's much simpler to install and configure apps than in the old days.

Plus Linux will still scream on a machine that's a few years old.  The new PC you bought with Windows7 on it, well you might as well just leave W7 on it and network it.  The four year old PC, stick Mandriva on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:06 AM by MilesAhead »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
However, it looks like I'll need to use my Windows box because the tarball wasn't available for Linux when I checked, and the samples wouldn't run on Linux.
Ummm...
From http://sourceforge.n...t/files/wxnet/0.9.2/ :
Start Sample-Launcher.exe with double-click under Windows or with
> mono Sample-Launcher.exe
in a Linux X-terminal.

Haven't tried it myself, I'm still researching whether Mono isn't all evil or not.  :-\
On the one hand, it's *just* an implementation of an ECMA standard, with some Linux-specific extensions rounding out the package.
...But on the other hand, it's the dark tentacles of Microsoft that threat...
Wait... What was that?
Wha?!!
That sound! The light!! No, I...
IA!! CTHULHU MONO DOT'NET FTAGN!!
ICAZAAAAAAAAaaaaa!!!!!!!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
However, it looks like I'll need to use my Windows box because the tarball wasn't available for Linux when I checked, and the samples wouldn't run on Linux.
Ummm...
From http://sourceforge.n...t/files/wxnet/0.9.2/ :
Start Sample-Launcher.exe with double-click under Windows or with
> mono Sample-Launcher.exe
in a Linux X-terminal.

Haven't tried it myself, I'm still researching whether Mono isn't all evil or not.  :-\
On the one hand, it's *just* an implementation of an ECMA standard, with some Linux-specific extensions rounding out the package.
...But on the other hand, it's the dark tentacles of Microsoft that threat...

Screenshot - 2011-04-22 , 5_17_29 PM.png

Linux just flat out shows nothing.

Like I said... I'll need to dig out the sledgehammer... :(

Or look for another kit. Sigh...

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

After the second try, assuming I did everything wrong the first time, that would have been try/step 3 >:(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

After the second try, assuming I did everything wrong the first time, that would have been try/step 3 >:(

Sometimes I'd just like to skip directly to the catch/finally~! ;)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, now you got me REALLY curious.
I'm going to try this after the Easter weekend.

... Don't hold your breath, but I'll do my best.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... And when I do, I'll post in a different thread.
This dead horse is done beaten, methinks.  :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Haven't tried it myself, I'm still researching whether Mono isn't all evil or not.  :-\

It is evil. Utterly.

Mono's original source code can be found on pages 753-847 of the Necronomicon in the unexpurgated edition - not the Dee copy! It's since been discovered Wilbur Wateley was an elite coder who was working on something called Shoggoth 1.0 (in Mono) before he met his untimely end.

Their hand is ever at thy throat yet you see them not. - the Necromomicon

Mother protect us! Ïa! Ïa Shub Niggurath!  8) ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

It is evil. Utterly.

Mono's original source code can be found on pages 753-847 of the Necronomicon in the unexpurgated edition - not the Dee copy! It's since been discovered Wilbur Wateley was an elite coder who was working on something called Shoggoth 1.0 (in Mono) before he met his untimely end.

Their hand is ever at thy throat yet you see them not. - the Necromomicon

Mother protect us! Ïa! Ïa Shub Niggurath!  8) ;)

You shouldn't be talking like such~! Don't be surprised when you hear the rats, the rats in the walls...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^I don't worry about the rats so much. Especially since we cleared out all those standing stones and shrines down in the sub-basement. It's the Whippoorwills that scare me. (OMG! They're starting to chirp in time with my breathing!)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:47 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sleepyheadcthullu.jpg
baby cthulu.  not dead.  not waiting.  just sleepy.