Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 06, 2016, 06:18:46 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Injecting HTML into Outlook?  (Read 7168 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Injecting HTML into Outlook?
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:35:10 AM »
At work we have to use Outlook, the full version, not Express.  I have it set to plain-text e-mails but occasionally I need fancier formatting.  If I have a pre-existing HTML page, is there any way I can get it into Outlook as an HTML message?  All I seem to get is the plain text, or HTML as code that doesn't render.  I was somehow expecting to be able to drag and drop, or mark a piece and copy it into Outlook like you can from a browser into EverNote.

TIA...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Injecting HTML into Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:04:03 AM »
From what I understand the problem could also be caused by your copy/paste clipboard transforming genuine HTML into some not-all-the-same code. My problem with this, using Firefox and Thunderbird, was solved by installing the Extended Copy Menu Auto Context add-on in Firefox. Of course you might need a different cure, but I uninstalled my Outlook 2003 maybe a year ago and am not sure how it was with this subject.

From my Firefox's context menu:

1c.gif
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:14:04 AM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Coding Snacks by Lanux128
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »
i don't use Outlook on a daily basis so i'm not sure but one way to test is to 'Send Page by e-mail' from IE and see if that works.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:35:38 AM »
-also, Thunderbird is showing the nature of the problem, because I can choose between seeing an emails' content as "Original HTML" or "Simpel HTML".

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
i don't use Outlook on a daily basis so i'm not sure but one way to test is to 'Send Page by e-mail' from IE and see if that works.

That only seems to send it as an attachment.  I could do that, of course, but sometimes I'd rather send a prettified e-mail without people having to open an attachment.

Firefox 2.0.0.12 doesn't seem to have a "Send page by e-mail," only send link.

@curt:  thanks, will look at it, but I have to re-start Firefox and I'll do that later.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
- my IE7 will send it as a nice HTML email, not attached.

While we're at it, you may want to install http://sendpagebyemail.mozdev.org/ for Firefox
- https://addons.mozil...a/firefox/addon/2343

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
Curt, you're making suggestions faster than I can try them!  Thanks!   :D

The Auto Context add-on in Firefox partially works.  For the experiment, I set Outlook 2003 to send HTML by default, then copied the text via Auto Context.  What I got was most of the fonts, but no colours and (I think) no underlining.  I suspect that the problem there is with Outlook, not Firefox + Auto Context.  At least it's a small improvement, thanks.

Now I have to look at SendPageByMail too   :)

I thought IE might work, but use Firefox as my default browser.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »
When you copy and paste do you have the Email format set to RTF?  What is the default format for sending emails (menu -> Tools -> Options -> Mail Format)?

My default format is RTF and I get basic formatting when copying (ctrl-c) out of Firefox and pasting into a new email.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Dales Computer Services
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
If you cut and paste HTML you probably won't have the CSS stylesheet (if any) which will alter the look of the email format too.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »

While we're at it, you may want to install http://sendpagebyemail.mozdev.org/ for Firefox

- this extension is totally weird. In Internet Explorer I have never have had to answer a single question, when using Send Page, except of course for naming the receiver, but I have just spend half an hour to answer all sorts of different questions in order to take sendpagebyemail into use. And in the end I must have clicked some wrong button, because the page was merely attached.  :(

However, I must say the quality of the attached html page was sublime!  :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »
Could using MS Word or not as the email/html editor be the problem? I personally use word 2003. It's not the best with html, but...

- Tools > Options > click the Mail Format tab.
- Tick or untick "Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" check box

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Coding Snacks by Lanux128
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
That only seems to send it as an attachment.  I could do that, of course, but sometimes I'd rather send a prettified e-mail without people having to open an attachment.

maybe it's a 'feature' of Outlook. ;) but seriously, i found this tip that might be related to your situation.

Send Page By Email

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »
When you copy and paste do you have the Email format set to RTF?  What is the default format for sending emails (menu -> Tools -> Options -> Mail Format)?

My default format is RTF and I get basic formatting when copying (ctrl-c) out of Firefox and pasting into a new email.

My default is plain text, because I dislike fancy formats in e-mail.  This is the odd case where I might want something to impress managers.  I also found that if I put a UNC link to something on the network when replying to other people's fancy-formatted e-mails, the links didn't always seem to work, and it was safer to start from scratch with a plain-text e-mail.

For this test, though, I tried both plain text and re-setting the default to HTML.  I didn't think to try RTF, and indeed I wouldn't have thought of it, because I was under the impression that converting between HTML and RTF was difficult.

@lanux128: thanks for the tip - as seen above, I'd sort of got there, but that makes the intended behaviour clearer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:25:51 AM by rjbull »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 03:14:53 AM »
If you cut and paste HTML you probably won't have the CSS stylesheet (if any) which will alter the look of the email format too.

Good point.  The thing that generated the HTML gives you a choice of style sheets, so that clearly has a bearing.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:19:34 AM »

- this extension is totally weird.

Maybe I'll skip that one, then  ;)

However, I must say the quality of the attached html page was sublime!  :up:

I really wanted it in-line...  Another annoyance; if I send Web pages as attachments, I sometimes use MHT files.  As far as I know, Firefox can't generate them or read them, so I have to use IE or EverNote, if I've saved the page in EverNote as well.