ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Undelete - am I missing something?

(1/1)

rjbull:
On WinXP, if I look in c:\Recycler I find several enigmatically-named subdirectories, all containing desktop.ini and INFO2.  The latter looks like an index.  Eventually, I find the subdirectory that contains deleted files with their names changed to "Dcnnn.{ext}" where the original extension is retained.  - hmmm...  Dc?   8)

If the deleted files are still there, renamed, and there's an index, is there really not an undelete function built into Windows?

jgpaiva:
From what I understand, you are looking at the raw view of the recycle bin. (are you using xyplorer?)
All the files present there, can be found on the recycle bin (in a much more interesting form ;) ).
If you remove the files from recycle bin, they disappear from the Recycler folder.

rjbull:
From what I understand, you are looking at the raw view of the recycle bin. (are you using xyplorer?)
-jgpaiva (July 02, 2008, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Total Commander actually, but yes, raw view.

All the files present there, can be found on the recycle bin (in a much more interesting form ;) ).
If you remove the files from recycle bin, they disappear from the Recycler folder.

--- End quote ---

Aaauuuggghhh!  I am covered in confusion   :-[ :-[ :-[

Many thanks!   :)

I don't often look at the desktop, launching things by other means.  I just made a shortcut to the Recycle bin and put it in my Popsel menu, so I don't have to minimise everything else and go looking for the icon.

jgpaiva:
 :D Actually, i know that because the same thing already happened to me. I inadvertedly added too many files to the recycle bin and then it wouldn't open anymore, and ended up having to use the raw view do delete a few files ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version