topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Undelete - am I missing something?  (Read 3936 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Undelete - am I missing something?
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:30 AM »
On WinXP, if I look in c:\Recycler I find several enigmatically-named subdirectories, all containing desktop.ini and INFO2.  The latter looks like an index.  Eventually, I find the subdirectory that contains deleted files with their names changed to "Dcnnn.{ext}" where the original extension is retained.  - hmmm...  Dc?   8)

If the deleted files are still there, renamed, and there's an index, is there really not an undelete function built into Windows?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Undelete - am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:58 AM »
From what I understand, you are looking at the raw view of the recycle bin. (are you using xyplorer?)
All the files present there, can be found on the recycle bin (in a much more interesting form ;) ).
If you remove the files from recycle bin, they disappear from the Recycler folder.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:14 AM »
From what I understand, you are looking at the raw view of the recycle bin. (are you using xyplorer?)

Total Commander actually, but yes, raw view.

All the files present there, can be found on the recycle bin (in a much more interesting form ;) ).
If you remove the files from recycle bin, they disappear from the Recycler folder.

Aaauuuggghhh!  I am covered in confusion   :-[ :-[ :-[

Many thanks!   :)

I don't often look at the desktop, launching things by other means.  I just made a shortcut to the Recycle bin and put it in my Popsel menu, so I don't have to minimise everything else and go looking for the icon.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:40 AM »
 :D Actually, i know that because the same thing already happened to me. I inadvertedly added too many files to the recycle bin and then it wouldn't open anymore, and ended up having to use the raw view do delete a few files ;)