ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[bug] very unfriendly handling of missing drive

<< < (3/4) > >>

phitsc:
anyone know if there is a nice windows api call to check if a drive is removable?
-mouser (June 30, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

GetDriveType will tell you if a disk drive is a removable, fixed, CD-ROM, RAM disk, or network drive.

mouser:
great.  thanks phitsc, i can use that to avoid adding removable links to history.

macs:
i can use that to avoid adding removable links to history.
-mouser (July 01, 2008, 12:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure about avoiding adding removable links to the history. I have a USB pen drive in my machine with a range of portable apps that I use very frequently. Then when I'm on the road I just take the pen with me.  From my point of view if FARR never added anything on USB pen drive to the history then the history facility would be much less useful.

Is there way FARR could filter the history list and not use things on a removable drive if the removable drive isn't there? If speed is the issue then maybe FARR could just check the removable drives when it starts, then if the drive isn't there it filters the history for that session.

f0dder:
Imho if it was caused by a reference to a now-noexisting partition (whose drive letter is now mapped to your CD), this isn't really a FARR bug -f0dder (June 30, 2008, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do not want to quibble, but imo one thing that distinguishes a good program from a mediocre one is the ability to handle external error conditions gracefully. Since FARR is not merely a good, but a a great program, we certainly  don't want any unfriendly error handling!
-jdmarch (June 30, 2008, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, if you try querying a location on a network path that's not available, you will face a long time-out period. This is windows standard, and afaik there's not much you can do about it, except not trying to query network paths.

jdmarch:
if you try querying a location on a network path that's not available, you will face a long time-out period-f0dder (July 01, 2008, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
My report/request was actually about an unavailable drive letter. The exception is raised instantly, not after a time-out period; the question is how it should be handled. Also note that we're talking about a once-removed error (an unavailable linked-to path inside of the referenced LNK file) in a file which may not even be requested to be executed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version