ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[bug] very unfriendly handling of missing drive

<< < (2/4) > >>

d4ni:
I had a similar issue, it included a mounted virtual CD-ROM device using daemon tools. I am sorry, I can not exactly remember the details but I can confirm this is an issue sometimes. I resolved by removing all history items pointing to the device if I recall correctly.
The same does not seem to apply to usb thumb drives that are attached and detached though..

jdmarch:
That's a handy trace option - found them! I've moved all the D: referencing .LNK files into a subfolder and blocked recursion into that folder, solving the problem for now.  I can re-enable it any time you'd like me to test again.

I'll be happy to test v 2.08 if you'd like. If I do so, I'd like to make sure that my current options don't get lost/corrupted; please let me know whether I should back them up, and if so, please remind me where they live... I'm not finding this option anywhere in the configuration dialog.

f0dder:
Imho if it was caused by a reference to a now-noexisting partition (whose drive letter is now mapped to your CD), this isn't really a FARR bug - but the effects are certainly annoying nonetheless.

Results are much worse with shortcuts to other computers (that have gone offline) - not an issue with FARR right now though, because UNC paths are ignored.

mouser:
Imho if it was caused by a reference to a now-noexisting partition (whose drive letter is now mapped to your CD), this isn't really a FARR bug - but the effects are certainly annoying nonetheless.
--- End quote ---

well there are a few ways you can make a request via windows api to ask the OS to resolve a shortcut.. some tell windows to try to resolve and find near matches if the original is missing, etc.  it's not at all certain but it's possible that one of the options tells it to prompt for missing media and one doesn't, so i'll have a look.

jdmarch:
Imho if it was caused by a reference to a now-noexisting partition (whose drive letter is now mapped to your CD), this isn't really a FARR bug -f0dder (June 30, 2008, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do not want to quibble, but imo one thing that distinguishes a good program from a mediocre one is the ability to handle external error conditions gracefully. Since FARR is not merely a good, but a a great program, we certainly  don't want any unfriendly error handling!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version