ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[bug] very unfriendly handling of missing drive

(1/4) > >>

jdmarch:
All of a sudden FARR has become unusable for searching. As soon as I type a character in the search entry field, up comes a popup "No disk in drive . Please insert a disk into drive D:"

I expect that this is caused by some old shortcut links which migrated from my previous system 6 weeks ago, which still do point to a (now nonexistent) drive D:. But FARR doesn't even tell me which link is causing the problem. I can't tell you exactly when this problem emerged because 1) I'm not sure when I did my most recent FARR updates and 2) recently I've been working on a limited number of tasks so have been able to select the program from FARR's "most recently used" default list, which does not cause this problem to emerge (no typing on the search line).

Help! Thanks.

FARR 2.12.03

mouser:
good point.

try going to your history and deleting any entries refering to drive d.

maybe i can have farr figure out when something is on a removable disk and not add it to history if so.
anyone know if there is a nice windows api call to check if a drive is removable?

jdmarch:
Thanks, mouser.

Deleting the entire history list does not help. (Anyway, there were no explicit references to drive D: in the history list, and the problem did not surface when the MRU list appears, only when I start to type on the search line. I really do think it's more likely that the drive D: references are in LNK files somewhere in the search folders.)

Temporary workaround: putting a CD into my CD drive (drive D: on this system).

It seems that this is a new bug. I've certainly used the search line many times since I migrated to this computer, without this problem occurring, but it's just possible that  by serendipity, I've had a CD in the drive every time I've used the search line.

mouser:
I really do think it's more likely that the drive D: references are in LNK files somewhere in the search folders.
--- End quote ---

hmm that is strange..
or a new shortcut.

try this, set this option and then see where it says it was searching when the error pops up, it's useful for debugging:

mouser:
if we can confirm its new as of v2.08 or so, then it may be that a recent change i made to short resolution is causing it, and i can revert back.  maybe ill revert back for a test version for you to try.  just do me a favor and dont permanently delete the shortcut causing the problem if you find it, so that we can easily try a new fix if/when i come up with one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version