topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Seamless forum <==> mailing list integration  (Read 4002 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wanted: Seamless forum <==> mailing list integration
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I had planned on using Google Groups, but just discovered that if you wish to use the web-based frontend to a Google Group, you need a gmail email account. This is not acceptable for the usage I have in mind.

FUDForum seems to have been abandoned about a year ago. Too bad as that was my second choice to Google Groups.

The best candidate I can find so far is mail2forum with phpBB.

My challenge: I have to provide an online discussion capability that allows for people that can only use a mailing list to collaborate with people who choose to use a web-based forum. They need to be able to use their existing email accounts (i.e. not forced to use a gmail or yahoo account). It needs to be 100% restricted to only those user hand-picked to be allowed to join.

The most common thing I find on the internet about this topic is several variations on, "I can't believe this hasn't been created yet!". And those comments go back to about 2001.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Seamless forum <==> mailing list integration
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:25 PM »
I've been looking for that too. Nothing found yet.
It's feasible to have forum posts to be forwarded to a mailing list, but mailing list posts to forum seems more tricky, especially since 'thread' detection on mailing lists is buggy at best in current software.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I am subscribed to a forum that uses phpBB and mail2forum. It does work though it can be a bit unreliable at times.

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:12 AM »
vBulletin 3.6.0 & NewsGateway 3.1.117

It's now the biggest Web+USENET forum in China