topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Build Your Own UAV  (Read 4859 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Build Your Own UAV
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I have a confession to make. I have a fascination with all things RC. Almost a jones so to speak. That's why people like me are always glad to find somebody that has it worse then they do.

These guys & gals have got it worse. Much worse.

If you're in the same boat, or just interested in some very cool tech stuff, check out DIY Drones at www.diydrones.com

From the website :
Because $10,000 $5,000 $1,000 $500 is too much to pay for an autopilot, especially one that doesn't do exactly what you want."

An Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV, colloquially known as a "drone") is basically an aerial robot. As we define it, it is capable of both remotely controlled flight (like a regular RC aircraft) and fully-autonomous flight, controlled by sensors, GPS, and onboard computers performing the functions of an autopilot. Our UAVs include airplanes, helicopters, quadcopters and blimps. Most of them are under five pounds, and some of them (especially the blimps) can be used indoors.

We are focused on non-commercial ("recreational") projects by amateurs, although pros are always welcome too. Reasons to make your own UAV range from a fun technical challenge, student contests, aerial photography and mapping (what we call "GeoCrawling"), and scientific sensing. We are primarily interested in civilian, not military, UAV uses here.

Great site. Everything you need to amaze your loved ones; humble your rivals; and start some UFO sightings around your neighborhood. ;)

(Note: All kidding aside, be sure you read their FAQ about the legalities and regs that govern this hobby. It's post-911 out there. The authorities will not be gentle if you're caught misusing this technology or flaunting the law.)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:21 PM by 40hz »