topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A new task manager on the block...  (Read 9424 times)

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A new task manager on the block...
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:19 PM »
Hi all,

I thought I knew all existing task manager tools... I was wrong!
I just discovered a new one (at least for me) : Watership Planner
They have a very interesting, comprehensive approach to task management: it includes values, goals, time tracking, roles, daily/weekly planner... lots of things in it.

Af first glance, it seems to be quite powerful, but it may be a bit too rigid for me (lack of customization from my very own perspective), I'll continue using MyLifeOrganized as my main task manager. But seeing what they've done in Watership Planner gave me new ideas for customizing MLO (using values to tag some tasks for example)...

There's a trial download on the site above, no time limit, just a limit of 30 tasks. The full version costs $89.95 or €54.95, I've no relation whatsoever with the editor, I've no idea if they're responsive to user requests. Current version number is 1.73.

Enjoy!

Cheers  /jerome

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A new task manager on the block...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:50 AM »
There's a trial download on the site above, no time limit, just a limit of 30 tasks.

- and even more:

Try before you buy + 60 day money-back guarantee.

Nice find! (but an expensive one, I think)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Looks a lot like Achieve Planner, which is what I've been using.  Though just like with Achieve, I've never understood the 'life planning' aspect of it...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Those both look good. Can anybody give their mini-reviews? A quick pass at Google doesn't find any reviews. I am going to dig further and see what I can find.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Looks a lot like Achieve Planner, which is what I've been using.  Though just like with Achieve, I've never understood the 'life planning' aspect of it...

So, do you like it?

I was very interested in its development a while back (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9417.0), but finally abandoned the idea because I found certain aspects of it to rigid (grids were not very customizable, and it was not possible for items -- tasks, events, goals... -- to have multiple parents, etc.) and I could not sync it with my palm (related to that : seemless Outlook syncing was kind of hard to achieve perfectly well on a day to day basis, especially for recurring appointments, colors, and others)... and, oh... I found it a bit sluggish. These were some of the main points. But in general I thought it was a pretty good application.

I posted at their forum under the zarmando name :
http://www.effexis2....p;highlight=zarmando
http://www.effexis2....howthread.php?t=1405

So... yes, Watership Planner seems to fit exactly that category of applications. I wonder if it syncs with mobile devices, but probably not since I couldn't find anything about it on the web site.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I do like it!  It's very helpful when I have to keep track of projects and e-mails and to-dos and deadlines and completions... A couple of my clients have started using it because they liked the reports I was able to give them out of it, and when they asked about how I did them, I showed them Achieve and things went from there.

jsawyer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I just thought you guys should know that Watership Planner is available half price today only on http://www.bitdujour.com I found out via: http://becoming-a-wr...rganized-today-only/

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04 PM »
When I saw the title I immediately assumed it referred to a replacement for the Windows Task Manager, which is really a process manager. I guess that's what happens when you're a developer :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 06:21 PM »
When I saw the title I immediately assumed it referred to a replacement for the Windows Task Manager, which is really a process manager. I guess that's what happens when you're a developer :)
Don't feel bad, I went there too.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Don't feel bad, I went there too.
+1  :-[

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:11 AM »
ah, now i get it. the 'task' is as in things-to-do NOT processes running in the computer. how many times i've clicked this and went away confused. just echoing the last 3 posts. ;D