ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Does anyone know a solution to prevent the opening of useless links????

(1/3) > >>

Thomas_Young:
Hi everyone, I am the manager of a placement consultancy and have to spend a lot of time online looking for potential information. This consumes a lot of time, but the most time is wasted when I open certain links and find that they are of not any use to me. Because of this, I would have to wait for the window to only find that the information for me is useless. I am looking an answer that can help to minimize the work-load.

mouser:
you know this is a simple but good idea..

there are firefox plugins that will give you *previews* of sites just by hovering over a link, which would help avoid having to visit sites only to discover they are worthless,

BUT:
are there plugins that use some crowd or expert wisdom to basically put scores next to links based on the judged quality of the links (judged by experts, heuristics, or crowd voting, etc.)

Now that's a nice idea for a FireFox plugin.

icekin:
Without loading the page, you wouldn't know what it was about, hence you wouldn't know if it was useless or not. One solution is to read the page description in the search results. Another is to start searching in a higher quality resouce such as a web directory instead of a search engine for better results. Snap provides a way to preview each link before clicking it, but some users also find it annoying.

icekin:
you know this is a simple but good idea..

are there plugins that use some crowd or expert wisdom to basically put scores next to links based on the judged quality of the links (judged by experts, heuristics, or crowd voting, etc.)

Now that's a nice idea for a FireFox plugin.
-mouser (June 28, 2008, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's a FF plugin called SeoQuake that can sort results by more than just pagerank. Increases page load time though.

mouser:
Without loading the page, you wouldn't know what it was about, hence you wouldn't know if it was useless or not.
--- End quote ---

not quite true..
if you were willing to place trust in other users you could have a community that ranked links on pages, and fetched those ranks from a central online repository, and then showed numerical scores next to each link on a page.  it's a cool idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version