topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox 3 Bug  (Read 6564 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 3 Bug
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:22 PM »
To the community,

I am having issues with firefox 3. I currently have the bug posted at Mozilla's Bug Tracker. The issue is this. I have just finished a complete reinstall, deleted profile with no extensions and a firefox reinstall, in an attempt to fix this issue. It appears that firefox is failing to load images on a refresh of a page. This occurs after many pages are refreshed using F5 or the reload button. As such, the pages appear broken and often contain just text with a very broken appearance. Has anyone experienced this? Click the link above for some images of what I am seeing.

Josh

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 3 Bug
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:33 PM »
I've had that image of a forum like DC and other forums happen on my computer after cleaning with ATF-Cleaner. And also at random times, but not often. Had the same issue with the previous version of FF also.

Restarting Firefox usually fixes it. Or restarting the computer will.

So I think it's a prefetch or cache issue. Not sure though.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I was /am? getting it on ff2, certainly the forum issue, and odd things happening with graphic intensive sites like deviant art, I've had vast improvement since i got rid of admuncher. 

Edit:  just disabling the filtering didn't work, admuncher had to be uninstalled
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:28 PM by Grorgy »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I have a similar problem when trying to view pages on my local server through my external IP address - but using the internal IP works just fine, and people from the outside can view through the external IP just fine as well. This also happens with IE6 though, so the problem probably isn't related, and might be due to my httpd setup.

Just thought I'd mentioned it anyway.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I am beginning to think its an ad muncher issue as well. Exiting AM and then clearing my cache seems to help the issue. I am working with admuncher's options to find out what is causing this.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11 PM »
Grorgy, can you check to see if the following works for you?

In AM, go to options - caching and CHECK the option "Modify browser requests to avoid caching". Then clear your cache and see if it still occurs.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:23 AM »
Ugh, disabling browser caching in order to satisfy AM? :o :o :o
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:42 AM »
Yes I know, I sent an email to the developers and have yet to receive a reply. We shall see. It seems that setting that option fixes the issue but why should it have to be enabled when it didnt have to be previously. Am I required to clear my cache on a daily basis (with each new list update) in order to fix the issue? I should hope not.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I haven't had a chance to see if it works here, I have uninstalled AM and have been really happy with the apparent increase in browser performance.  It is such a difficult program to adjust, it seems to block lots of obscure pages that many sites call, and it was causing me more difficulty than the ads did, I've gone back to ABP, at least when you allow a site, it allows it all.  It (AM) was also blocking something within the site of University I am going to, and that was pretty much the end of it for me.  And the cache clearing, well I would clear the cache and sometimes it would work for a while sometimes not.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Yeah, that has been my experience. However, Jeff (AM List maintainer) has pawned this off as likely being a firefox bug since he is having no signs of this, as is the norm with most bugs I and others seem to report, although the bug completely disappears after changing an option in ad muncher or exiting it completely. This seems to be the norm from my experience.

I just fail to see how the bug could be firefox's fault when ad muncher's options (or exiting) fixes the issue. Can anyone explain this to me?

Mouser or any developer for that matter, from your experience, does this explanation make sense? In my limited development experience (limited to programs suiting my own particular needs) this doesnt make sense. If my program, when terminated, resolves an issue, or enabling an option in my developed program fixes a problem in another, how can this bug not be my programs fault?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:43 PM by Josh »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Do you have the ad muncher extension for firefox installed?

http://www.admuncher....php?f=4&p=11643

Also, since I started using Foxmarks I don't get the forum problem as much. In fact I don't remember the last time it happened. I was using google's browser sync, but Foxmarks seems better for me.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 02:19 PM »
Mmm, I have seen such behavior many times, sometimes the browser fails to load all images, but it happens in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera, and usually another refresh operation fix it.

Does the same thing happens using Ad-Muncher and other browsers? That would rule out the possibility of a bug in this program.