topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Picking the right mouse for gaming - suggestions?  (Read 17533 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Picking the right mouse for gaming - suggestions?
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I am a heavy gamer- if I am not doing a little bit of coding I am either racing, slaying or planning for either of the two. As several of you know I had a G7 Wireless laser mouse that was stolen. While it was a good mouse, it had a few drawbacks:

• The USB adapter was TINY - so small that I lost the first one, and had to buy another one!
  • While it did make attempts to tell you, the battery would run low fast once it hit "Red" status
  • The surface got scratched quite easily
  • There were reports of a faulty clicking mechanism inside the mouse - after several thousand (50,000-250,000+) clicks, the mouse would either double-click or not click at all (on a single click attempt). While several thousand sounds like a lot, its not when your shooting at people 16 hours a day ;D

I am looking to get either another G7 (I do miss mine quite a bit) or a G9; however the G9 is a wired mouse, and while it hosts a world of extra new gizmos and whatnot, I am a total wireless lover.

The G7 is $80, G9 $100.
Wireless, wired.
2000DPI, 3200DPI.
Battery life, USB powered.
500 refreshes/sec, 1000 refreshes/sec.

But I still love wireless. Can someone give me an idea as to what to do? I would really like the additional things the G9 has, but the G7 just worked exactly the way I wanted.

G9: http://www.logitech....es/3053&cl=us,en
G7: http://www.logitech....ces/163&cl=us,en

Thoughts? Any G7/G9 owners? Opinions?
-Brandon

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Picking the right mouse for gaming - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I personally wouldn't buy a wireless gaming mouse. I've heard too many stories of horror with them (even though i also know people that love wireless gaming mouses)

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Everyone in our Call of Duty 4 clan uses WIRED mice, as do probably most other players. I once made the mistake of getting a fancy logitech wireless laser mouse, could really notice the difference when you needed pin-point cursor accuracy for shooting etc...

I've had my current Logitech MX510 wired mouse for at least 3-4 years now, still going strong, can't beat it.

Also a quality mouse surface makes a BIG difference to how well the laser/optics work in whatever mouse you choose.
I highly recommend a fUnc mouse mat - a review here: http://www.hexus.net...nt/item.php?item=108

From another review:
A premium mousemat doesn't collect dust as quickly as a cloth mat, doesn't transfer dust as well to the mouse, doesn't cause lots of friction, and lets you position your pointer more accurately. This helps a bit in everyday desktop tasks, but it helps a lot if you're doing something where mouse accuracy matters - graphics editing, or games.

An inaccurate mouse is very annoying when you're trying to do fine work in your favourite image editor, or put a simulated rifle bullet through the earhole of some upstart kid in Sweden.

And as far as accuracy and cleanliness goes, the Func mat seems to be right up there with the best.

fUnc Industries website - http://www.func.net/

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I got the G9 & I think its the best mouse I have ever owned & one of its best features for me is the profiles.

All so the MicroGear Precision Scroll Wheel comes in handy scrolling long web pages.

Just waiting for Logitech to release some more grips but wont hold my breath on that as it hasn't happen yet  :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:50 AM »
i only recent got myself a Logitech MX518 & saved myself from frustrations aplenty for both gaming & daily productivity. :up:

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 03:49 AM »
I have a bunch of cheap optical wired logitech mice, TBH I can't really feel the difference between a expensive mouse and a cheap 3 button mouse unless you are sniping at extremely long ranges in some FPS
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:31 AM »
* f0dder goes on a rampage about the lack of quality mice without a zillion buttons, and without right-handed-only form factor.
- carpe noctem

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:42 AM »
I've used the various Logitech MX gaming mice, and am currently using a Logitech G5. Be sure to get a wired mouse for gaming -- nothing worse than having to leave your friends in the middle of battle because you have to recharge your rat :mrgreen:.

Personally I have not installed the accompanying logitech software for any of them.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Everyone in our Call of Duty 4 clan uses WIRED mice, as do probably most other players. I once made the mistake of getting a fancy logitech wireless laser mouse, could really notice the difference when you needed pin-point cursor accuracy for shooting etc...

I've had my current Logitech MX510 wired mouse for at least 3-4 years now, still going strong, can't beat it.

Also a quality mouse surface makes a BIG difference to how well the laser/optics work in whatever mouse you choose.
I highly recommend a fUnc mouse mat - a review here: http://www.hexus.net...nt/item.php?item=108
Even though i'm not a fan of mx510, i highly support the idea of using a mousepad and specifically the func. At the time of buying one, i bought a cheaper one and ended up regreting it everytime i use one of my friends' funcs.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:56 PM »
To me, it seems you have a problem of convenience here, wireless mouse vs. short battery life. If your previous wireless mouse died in the middle of the battle, then to me it's a no brainier: get the wired. If not, go for the wireless, every cable you don't have cluttering up the back of the desk is gold :-)

For the rest, I'm with p3lbox, mouse technology has advanced to the point that more or less all mouses are indistinguishable in usage. Although I'm not suggesting that a $3 mouse will do the same service as a $30 one (I know for personal experience that this is not the case), spending $150 in one just for a supposed increase in the response time is wasting money. Of course, such mouse will get you other goodies that justify the price.

Perhaps a professional gamer will be able to appreciate such differences due to their endless practice, but anyone else will headshots aplenty. Most times we blame the peripheral, while the problem is with a miscalculation in our part.

Besides, people are playing CoD 4 with a XBOX pad ;D

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 03:41 PM »
To me, it seems you have a problem of convenience here, wireless mouse vs. short battery life.
I wouldn't say that (or at least, not only that). The horror stories i mentioned, weren't about battery life, but about the wireless mouses not being reliable. I've seen a logitech mx1000 (which is a VERY expensive mouse) moving by itself across the screen without noone touching it. And it was on a mousepad!
Personally, i love my mx310.. It's been reliably working for 5 years now, and even though i want to buy a G3 (because it's lighter and i'm quite bored of this one), it just won't break! :P

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Hahahaha, it's normal because the MX1000 was the first mouse using laser technology, so it was a bit rough. I sent my mouse for repair a couple of weeks ago, and meanwhile I used a Genius mouse from a friend which had similar behavior (it uses optical technology though), sometimes I left the mouse still, and I saw the cursor either vibrate like mad, or move around, probably caused by the wrinkles in my mouse mat (which does not even deserve that name).

My mouse is wireless and laser too (a Logitech LX7), but so far never exhibited that behavior.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56 PM »
* f0dder goes on a rampage about the lack of quality mice without a zillion buttons, and without right-handed-only form factor.

* Eóin starts venting his frustrations over the difficult of getting a good solid wired mouse :D Seems here in Eire that you either pick a cheap, bargain bin, wired mouse or go wireless just for something like forward / back buttons >:(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:15 AM »
I got the G9 & I think its the best mouse I have ever owned & one of its best features for me is the profiles.

All so the MicroGear Precision Scroll Wheel comes in handy scrolling long web pages.

Just waiting for Logitech to release some more grips but wont hold my breath on that as it hasn't happen yet  :(

Agreed on all points.

I have a bunch of cheap optical wired logitech mice, TBH I can't really feel the difference between a expensive mouse and a cheap 3 button mouse unless you are sniping at extremely long ranges in some FPS

I definitely feel the difference.  Not only in use, but in hand cramps, functionality, extra buttons... yeah, I wouldn't get rid of my G9.  I had a G7 and it was workable as a wireless mouse- mostly because you could have one pack charging while the other was playing, and the fact that they charged *so fast*.  I think that's what the cursor drift problem discussed is all about- low batteries.  On my work system, I use a wireless mouse (another Logitech) and it drifts whenever the battery starts getting low.

But definitely the G9.  Though for a keyboard I went with a Razer...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:19 AM by wraith808 »

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 09:07 AM »
I have never had hand cramps TBH, but I can see extra buttons as a plus and wouldn't mind 2 or 3 more. But paying 4-6 times as much for a mouse seems pretty excessive to me
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35 AM »
I know I am going to get a bunch of people disagreeing with me here, but In my opinion, a mouse is a mouse. You don't need an over priced mouse with so many buttons and configs that you need a third hand just push all of them. I use a simple cheap wireless keyboard/mouse combo for games, and it works perfectly.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 09:45 AM »
Am I the only one who finds a trackball to be a very good gaming "mouse"? I have a trackball explorer by microsoft, on my second one, and I have not been able to find a good replacement for it. Nothing comes easier than this trackball. I am looking into the kensington expert mouse which our very own KenR has recommended. Thoughts?

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Logitech MX1000 wireless laser moose here.

Absolutely no complaints, ever, in the past three years.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Alright, NewEgg had a rebate on the G9 (normally $100, it was on sale for $80, and the rebate took it to $60!) so I went and got that. I absolutely love it. The cord is the only negative to the thing (IMO, I'm a wireless guy). The options for it just blow away every other mouse I have used. Definitely worth consideration if you are a heavy mouse user of gamer looking for a new mouse!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 08:05 AM »

I bought the Logitech Mx310 a year or two ago,
it's cheap, bisexual ehh, you can use it left or right hands, it does have back/forward buttons, & a button on top - it's easy to ignore them - I've never used the one on top, dont even know what it does (just tested, nothing obvious happening at the moment :D)
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58 AM »
@tomos: to enable the button on top, you need to have Logitech's SetPoint installed. anyway, it looks like a 'document-flip' button (something like alt+tab).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12 AM »
@tomos: to enable the button on top, you need to have Logitech's SetPoint installed. anyway, it looks like a 'document-flip' button (something like alt+tab).

thanks lanux,
I'm happy enough with just the other 5, I'll stick with WEP's winscroll/Alt+Tab ;)
Tom