ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (23/33) > >>

f0dder:
Sorry but that didn't answer the question really. I understand why it needs access to specified locations to update the database but why does it need to access anything just to open the search window (I am not talking about during the search - literally just opening the window to enter search criteria is incredibly slow).
-Carol Haynes (January 11, 2008, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
That does sound weird.

Also even during a search why does it need to access anything - surely the whole point about have an index database is precisely to avoid looking at disk/network content to do a search ???
--- End quote ---
This one is simple - if you want accurate, up-to-date information about timestamp, size etc. of files, since they could have been changed since last index. Personally, I'd prefer fast-but-possibly-outdated, though, just haven't figured out how to tweak settings properly for that :)

jmj:
Sorry but that didn't answer the question really. I understand why it needs access to specified locations to update the database but why does it need to access anything just to open the search window (I am not talking about during the search - literally just opening the window to enter search criteria is incredibly slow).

Also even during a search why does it need to access anything - surely the whole point about have an index database is precisely to avoid looking at disk/network content to do a search ???
--- End quote ---

The reason why Locate hangs in startup is that it tryies to load icons for network directories, it should not access to network drives otherwise. At least that was a problem in my system. During searches, it access to files only if you want that ("Enable updating", "Don't show deleted/renamed/moved files", "Show type specified "Icons" turned on in Advanced setttings, etc.).

f0dder: "Disable updating (...)" option is there for, did you try that?

f0dder:
-jmj (January 11, 2008, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, "Disable updating (file information from database)" checked, "Do not add directoris (except local drives) to the list" checked, "Use default icon for directories (use with...)" checked.

jmj:
-jmj (January 11, 2008, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, "Disable updating (file information from database)" checked, "Do not add directoris (except local drives) to the list" checked, "Use default icon for directories (use with...)" checked.
-f0dder (January 11, 2008, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about "Use type specified icons" and "Show file type"? The former causes calls when enabled and also the latter, at least if shell function is used (I'm not sure about my own way, I should check that).

btw. you are using 3.0.7.12310, right? Previous versions has a bug which activates background updater when you open settings dialog altought disable updating is chosen.

jmj:
I tried Process Monitor with Locate32 and used the following options in Advanced options:
"Use own method to generate file titles" checked
"Show type specified icons" unchecked
"Show file type (otherwise extension)" with "Use own method to get file types"
"Do not show tooltips" enabled
"Do not show deleted/named/moved files" disabled
"Disable updating (file information from databases)" checked
"Use default icon for directories (use with slow network drives)" enabled

Then I closed Locate32, turned loggin on Process Monitor, opened Locate and finally searched files in "\\server", and I didn't see any file operations related to files in \\server. Enabled "Show type specified icons" and saw lots of accesses to files in server.

But anyway, I tried to unplug my server and opened Locate32. Locate32 did hang on couple of seconds! I'll check that what Locate32 it is doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version