topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!  (Read 173445 times)

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2006, 03:17 AM »
There is one feature I have been wanting for a long time, but have never taken the time to speak up about it.  It would be quite helpful if the main search window (Name & Location) had a 4th dialog box below "Look In:"  Essentially what it would do is, whatever you type into that box is like a live filter of any search results that have been returned to you.  So it, wouldn't take up any processing power or run in the background, but as you type characters into that box it filters down the search results that were returned to you.  That way if i knew I was looking for a text file, but not sure which exactly, and had a bunch a different combinations to search, I could just search .txt, then, saving myself alot of searches and leaving every possible file I'm looking for (.txt) in front of me, I could continuously try different typed combinations to narrow down my results (and they narrow as i type in that box), just without having to execute more searches.

If  "display result as you type" feature, isn't this just a second way to do same?

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2006, 05:58 AM »
Given the right search parameters, I would imagine you could accomplish this.  But I would be one that would prefer to keep the live indexing turned off if at all possible, thats all.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2006, 02:29 PM »
I just want to give more praise to this awesome little program.  I was speaking with Janne (author of Locate32) via email and asked if there was a way to donate,  Janne said no one has ever donated or made the effort.  This is unheard of as far as I'm concerned.  So, Janne added a donation link (paypal) to the Main page (http://locate32.webhop.org/) in the upper left corner.  I sent a little dough and encourage others to do the same if you find this program makes your life a little easier and have some spare change to throw around.  The fact that Locate32 continues to evolve and suggestions are actually considered is especially nice, given much of the software I've paid for doesnt do as well.  Thanks again.   -vegas

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2006, 11:32 AM »
I have also got a couple of DonationCredits from members here which is laudable.

RC3 is out: http://www.uku.fi/~j...e32-2.99.6.11040.exe

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Locate 3.0 is out! :Thmbsup: :-*

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2007, 02:19 AM »
 :-* (Speechless)
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2007, 02:11 PM »
I know i'm bump'n an old thread,but this looked like the purest locate thread ...

Just letting fans of this application know along with a new update,the author of locate looks like he's kicked it into hypermode and now has a new site w/ forum.I see alot of visitors in the stats at the bottom of donationcoders forum and would highly recommend all you "lurkers" out there to give locate a try. :Thmbsup: 

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 05:18 PM »
I know i'm bump'n an old thread,but this looked like the purest locate thread ...

Just letting fans of this application know along with a new update,the author of locate looks like he's kicked it into hypermode and now has a new site w/ forum.I see alot of visitors in the stats at the bottom of donationcoders forum and would highly recommend all you "lurkers" out there to give locate a try. :Thmbsup: 
-tinyvillager link=topic=1385.msg87 :Thmbsup:764#msg87764 date=1196107913

Oooh, thanks for telling - I hadn't added locate32 to website watcher, so wouldn't have noticed myself! :Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2007, 02:19 AM »
But remember that the new site is still underconstruction and occasianally may not work at all (one such sitution is soon when we install some new components).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10 AM »
just a reminder,
Link is:-
http://locate32.webhop.org/
Tom

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I've used Locate32 and really liked it but then I tried File Tracer, just out of curiosity. Locate is a more refined program - far better GUI, way more customizable. I have to say though, when it comes to sheer power and low resource consumption File Tracer is God! Locate pushed my CPU to 40% and beyond whenever it indexed the drives. File Tracer just has you create an index the first time you run it and then does an extremely efficient job of realtime monitoring. If Locate32 gives "blazing fast" results, File Tracer gives near-instantaneous ones. The realtime indexing is so fast, if I search for "document" and open document.txt from the results, it shows up the resultant document.lnk from the 'Recent' folder 3 seconds after I run document.txt.

The most amazing part is, it seems to sitting at 0% CPU at most times. Locate consistently sat at 1.5% CPU in my case even when it was not doing a thing. As an additional plus File Tracer seems to have something like a condensed version of Filemon , I can comfortably view the realtime file system activity without having to filter out several apps like in Filemon.

Don't get me wrong, I love Locate32 but when something does its core job much more faster, much more effectively (no indexing required) AND uses a fraction of the resources you gotta give it its due.   
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:55 PM by nosh »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Does anybody use Locate alongside any of the content search engines such as GDS? I like the content search but love the speed of Locate. Any problems running both?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Does anybody use Locate alongside any of the content search engines such as GDS? I like the content search but love the speed of Locate. Any problems running both?
No problem.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2007, 01:22 PM »
I've used Locate32 and really liked it but then I tried File Tracer, just out of curiosity. Locate is a more refined program - far better GUI, way more customizable. I have to say though, when it comes to sheer power and low resource consumption File Tracer is God! Locate pushed my CPU to 40% and beyond whenever it indexed the drives.
Strange, I just had Locate update one DB and CPU usage never went above 10%, most of the time it was more like 4%.

Locate consistently sat at 1.5% CPU in my case even when it was not doing a thing.
That's strange too, Locate here is idling at 0% and jumps to 2% now and then. No idea why, might be a bug.

You could post your problems at the new forum @ http://www.locate32.net/forum

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Just tested.
idle = 0%
indexing < 9%

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2007, 03:48 PM »
same here Locate idles at 0% and only once during the indexing the CPU jumped to 12.3% then dropped back.. maybe it was indexing through deep sub-folders..

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2007, 06:13 PM »
If you mess with settings, you can end up with like 100% CPU usage in locate indexing... Do not turn on "Show found files only once".
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2007, 07:16 AM »
maybe it was indexing through deep sub-folders..

Oh yeah, very heavy indexing in my case - pretty much everything except the mirrored backup folders.  :-[

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2008, 01:47 AM »
I don't know if this belongs in this thread, but i have a particular need and was wondering if locate32 would be able to fulfill it, basically it's about searching for files in networked drives, but having only one database for all users.

e.g.
\\Server\IT
\\Server\HR
\\Server\OP

are the three folders i want to index, and make searchable.
Each dept can have access to only their dept. files, except for management which can have access to all the files... so how would i got about it?

If i install locate on the server (it's not portable yet! unfortunately), and add the Servers C:\Dept (which contains IT, HR, & OP), then when searching i get results from all three! I want to restrict to specific departments

Installing and configuring for all user would be a pain! and would increase the load on the server unnecessarily! (50 users indexing the same file!).

any ideas/suggestions? Basically want to make it easy to find all server files quickly for different users but with only 1 update transaction.
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46 AM »
Hm, interesting problem.

I guess installing locate/update on the server, creating a database per user folder (probably *in* the user folder). The individual users are then granted permission to only their own database via NTFS permissions and/or the shares exposed by the server. Sounds doable?
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2008, 03:29 AM »
any ideas/suggestions? Basically want to make it easy to find all server files quickly for different users but with only 1 update transaction.

you can try posting the question at Janne's forums. that may give you quicker response.. but do share with us the outcome. :)

Locate32 Support

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2008, 04:57 AM »
vixay, Howabout if you create one database for IT, another for HR and third for OP and keep database files in server?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26 AM »
vixay, Howabout if you create one database for IT, another for HR and third for OP and keep database files in server?
That's what I was trying to say :)
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51 AM »
well, that's a faster response than Janne's own forums.. :)

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2008, 08:37 AM »
 :huh: it took two days here? Typically I'm not so slow.

f0dder: ahh ok, I though that you meant user's own folder