ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (15/33) > >>

brotherS:
i'd like to make a suggestion, if i may be so bold, for improving 'Locate'...

if the real time system monitoring was implemented (like in 'filetracer'), i'd also like to see something similar to the way 'find and run robot' displays the search results, i.e. real time sorting/displaying of the results as you type.
-nudone (October 23, 2006, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Since real time system monitoring is slowing your system down by default (even if only a bit), I doubt it will be added to Locate. I don't miss that btw, I only rarely need to update my Locate databases manually between the scheduled intervals.

A 'display results as you type' feature though might come in real handy at times, could maybe be added as an alternative to how it works now. :up:

nudone:
i appreciate that real time monitoring must be slowing the system down - but i'd guess it's unnoticeable on modern computers. i certainly couldn't perceive any difference in the speed of my system.

i'd just say give 'filetracer' a quick try and if things felt sluggish then fair enough.

i certainly wouldn't want to see a feature implemented that did make the system less responsive but i honestly could not detect any difference when using 'filetracer'.

jmj:
Real time monitoring and "display result as you type" have been in the program's todo list for a long time. Both will be implemented so that those can be turned on and off.

btw. RC2 is out:  http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/files/locate32-2.99.6.10220.exe

vegas:
There is one feature I have been wanting for a long time, but have never taken the time to speak up about it.  It would be quite helpful if the main search window (Name & Location) had a 4th dialog box below "Look In:"  Essentially what it would do is, whatever you type into that box is like a live filter of any search results that have been returned to you.  So it, wouldn't take up any processing power or run in the background, but as you type characters into that box it filters down the search results that were returned to you.  That way if i knew I was looking for a text file, but not sure which exactly, and had a bunch a different combinations to search, I could just search .txt, then, saving myself alot of searches and leaving every possible file I'm looking for (.txt) in front of me, I could continuously try different typed combinations to narrow down my results (and they narrow as i type in that box), just without having to execute more searches.

Basically for me, it's like executing a Newsleecher search then filtering the results using the 'live' results filter.
Make sense?  I hope! :)  Any chance this could happen for locate?

Thanks for listening.

nudone:
Real time monitoring and "display result as you type" have been in the program's todo list for a long time. Both will be implemented so that those can be turned on and off.

btw. RC2 is out:  http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/files/locate32-2.99.6.10220.exe
-jmj (October 24, 2006, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

fantastic. the best of both worlds being able to turn the 'real time' monitoring on and off. great idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version