ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (14/33) > >>

vegas:
for me it's either Locate (http://locate32.webhop.org/) or File Locator Pro (http://www.mythicsoft.com/filelocatorpro/), no exceptions ;)

brotherS:
I've used alot of hard drive file finding programs, and spent days looking for one several years ago.  The one that I found that did most of what I want is FileTracer.  It's not perfect, and it's not free, but it works great.  It works in real-time and I've never noticed a system slowdown because of it. 
-tim254 (October 20, 2006, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you like it so much, please consider to write a mini-review about it. If "works in real-time" means that it doesn't index files it's not really comparible to Locate, since you don't have the blazing speed then.

One of it's coolest features is the capability to work with "open file" and "save file" dialogs.  I can find any file on my system and paste it's path within seconds with FileTracer, no wasting time browsing to the file via the "open" dialog box. 

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I understand 100% what you mean, but Locate offers lots of stuff around 'making your life easier with files and paths' too.

I really only have one issue with it ... if you add / remove external hard drives all the time and you reboot, it wants to re-index your hard drives.  However, if you press ignore it'll still work since it didn't delete the database.  One last thing, the developer is not very responsive, at least he hasn't been with me. 

--- End quote ---
Hm... so you have to pay for FileTracer, there's a severe bug and the coder won't fix it? That's 3 more reasons why I love Locate! :D

I've evaluated Locate 3.0 (plus dozen of other programs) and I didn't like the way it work in comparison to FileTracer.

--- End quote ---
Please share what you missed in Locate, it just might be added! :)

tim254:
Thanks brotherS for the detailed response.  You convinced me ... I'll write up a mini review.  It's tough to explain via screenshots and you really can't show the power of it unless you see it in action.  So, I downloaded Wink and I plan to post a nice presentation of it's features (learning Wink now).  It's amazing to me that the author of this program hasn't made a better website for it.

I'll demonstrate the "open file" and "save files" in my Wink flash presentation.  It's very cool.   

Yes, it might not be perfect, but there really is nothing out there that matches it IMHO.  Since Locate isn't real-time it's not in the same category.  It's a great program, but I need real-time.  I tried AVA-Find and it's missing several cool features of FileTracer, like automatic refresh and the ability to edit the file types search which I'll show via Wink.

--
Tim

nudone:
just been trying 'filetracer'.

the working with 'open/save file dialog boxes' and the windows explorer address field allow you to quickly input a 'filetracer' search result into the dialog box - or the explorer address field.

so, you could be working inside a program and want to quickly open a file into the program but can't remember where it's located.

you open the standard 'file open' dialog box within the program and then hit the F12 key to bring up 'filetracer'.

then search for the file using 'filetracer'. select the file you want from the results list and hit enter - this then copies the result back into the opened 'file open' dialog box. from here you proceed as you usually would and open the file into the program.

now, this might seem like a pointless thing to do - you could just bring up 'filetracer' (or locate, etc), do your search and open the file as you'd expect.

the thing that is clever about the 'filetracer' method is that you can avoid opening the default program that is associated with the the file type you are searching for - assuming the software you are using is not the program with the default association. if it is the default prog then i see no advantage in doing it the 'filetracer' way.

the 'save file' dialog works in the same way - which is more of an original way of working - you'd be searching for a file that you wish to overwrite. not entirely sure how useful this is but it's certainly unique so could be quite handy.

the ability to copy the file/folder name out of 'filetracer' into an explorer address field of the in focus window is also a neat kind of trick. how useful it is, i really don't know. i can see that it would be helpful to quickly open searched for folders within the explorer window you've got open - rather than keep opening new explorer windows from the results found in Locate, etc. (i think that is how they would work).

the most important function of 'filetracer' has got to be the real time way that it works. as far as i can see, the database doesn't need to be refreshed at certain intervals as it's constantly updating itself. as soon as a new file/folder is made or moved, 'filetracer' nows where it is. now, i have to say, that's such an obvious thing to expect from all these file/folder finder programs i can't really understand why it's not a function of them all. it's the main reason why i don't use these types of programs - having to update the database after i've made a few new files/folders seems like a major annoyance, but i guess it's just how you use your pc.

(i'll just clarify - this 'real time' method of working is not like how 'find and run robot' works. the search isn't performed in real time, 'filetracer' doesn't have to scan your hard drives to obtain the result. the 'real time' aspect is that 'file tracer' nows exactly what is happening on your system as you are working on it - the results list that it produces are instant as they are drawn from a database - it just appears to be modifying the database constantly as you work.)

would i use 'filetracer' because of the features it has that the others don't? maybe, but i doubt it. i don't like the shortcut keys - no win key - so i really can't be bothered with it. i tend to know where all my files/folders are - so i can get to things relatively quickly anyway - just as quick as trying to find the file/folder i want from the result list that these types of programs throw up.

as for 'Locate' - it's a great program - but it is lacking the 'real time' ability to keep a check on files and folders - hopefully it will be implemented at some point in the future.

nudone:
i'd like to make a suggestion, if i may be so bold, for improving 'Locate'...

if the real time system monitoring was implemented (like in 'filetracer'), i'd also like to see something similar to the way 'find and run robot' displays the search results, i.e. real time sorting/displaying of the results as you type.

if these things could be done then i think i'd be converted - otherwise, i think i'll wait for the time that 'find and run robot' eventually obtains a more system wide ability to quickly search for files/folders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version