ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (9/33) > >>

brotherS:
how blazing fast Locate is :)
-brotherS (May 27, 2006, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
But you have to keep its indexes up to date, which takes time.  OK, you can schedule that, but it still has to be done.
-rjbull (May 27, 2006, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Of course that has to be done, but - as you say - that's all done automatically. I let Locate update its databases about every two hours and once at night, and that's good enough for >95% of my searches. If I really need to search for newer/changed content, I just press a button to update the databases right now.

IMHO this is nothing to hold against Locate - you only can have your seaches blazing fast if databases exist, and this is the best way possible. Some people somehow manage to never search for files (I don't know whether they have a small HD, just don't know about Windows' search or simply prefer to click through lots and lots of folders), but if you search for files daily: install Locate!

I finally got around to installing Locate, and I must say it's a treat. I don't think I'm going to use it as my only file-search app, because of the database update issue, but it certainly is nice for doing fast finds of "archived" material.
-f0dder (May 27, 2006, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
No issue here, see above 8)

rjbull:
For "bleeding edge" :P searches, the built-in search of xplorer^2 full seems to do the trick.
-f0dder (May 27, 2006, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

The one in Total Commander is excellent  :)  For some purposes, I use a command-line program also called Locate, by Charles Dye

Not blindingly fast, but a myriad of useful options, especially if you need to build batch files, or prefer command lines.

f0dder:
Not blindingly fast,
--- End quote ---
Not too surprising, especially not on the first run of it after you've started windows - it's a DOS program, and NTVDM does take a bit to start :)

The command-line locate from locate32 has a nice bunch of options as well, btw - regular expressions and whatnot.

rjbull:
Not blindingly fast,
--- End quote ---
Not too surprising, especially not on the first run of it after you've started windows - it's a DOS program, and NTVDM does take a bit to start :)
-f0dder (May 28, 2006, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

But it does have Windows LFN display, which is nice.

The command-line locate from locate32 has a nice bunch of options as well, btw - regular expressions and whatnot.

--- End quote ---

I didn't know Locate32 had a CLI!  Thanks!

kimmchii:
wow, Locate is really fast, thanks brotherS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version