topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!  (Read 173429 times)

kronhead

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Yup, and that doesn't do "content-aware" search, it searches raw contents.

And no wanting to beat a dead horse - altho I have probably already done that - I thought that a PDF file where you could SELECT the text (ie, not an image) would contain the text as text - with other stuff around it - so a phrase search might not work - but I thought a simple text search would. But ya' learn something new each day ...

I think I will use locate for a while, and see how often I really need content searching. The best example I have is: I keep my receipts for online purchases as PDF files, and I occasionally ask myself "where did I buy that last laptop battery?" or "I got a unknown credit card charge for $19.95 - did I buy something?" The first question I can normally answer from the file name - the second is a little harder - I hate web sites where the credit card charge is for a name you never saw before - they just mentioned it in passing.

Dan

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2008, 04:51 PM »
And no wanting to beat a dead horse - altho I have probably already done that - I thought that a PDF file where you could SELECT the text (ie, not an image) would contain the text as text - with other stuff around it - so a phrase search might not work - but I thought a simple text search would. But ya' learn something new each day ...

Well, yes BUT Locate doesn't index file contents but rather file names.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2008, 05:42 PM »
2Darwin
You are right but that is why I still naive waiting for TC plugins support in Locate32 (it is on its ToDo list).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2008, 12:15 PM »
waiting for TC plugins support in Locate32 (it is on its ToDo list).
-fenixproductions (October 30, 2008, 05:42 PM)

Have you tried FSE?  I don't have a URL, but it's in the TC forums.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2008, 03:06 PM »
2rjbull
Have you tried FSE?  I don't have a URL, but it's in the TC forums.

Yes, I did on the first day plugin had been released. In the matter of fact: I've tried all 500 TC's plugins.

FSE is just a front-end to Locate32. It is much easier just to use Win+F and have dirs opened in TC. FSE limits come from L32 and that is why I gave L's author the idea of building proper plugs interface in the first place. Watching from player's* point of view I don't think it should be so hard to do so... I am just waiting.

*) player - I wrote few WDX plugins (in C++) and couple of simple C# tools for handling them (like beta version of Comparer - no time to finish). That's the way of the freak ;)

TGB72

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2009, 09:48 PM »
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data. I talking about less than a minute to index 500GB with 360000 files and a fraction of a sec to search ANY file. Check the author's site for more info.

Otherwise I found Visual CD far better than locate for indexing CDs, DVD and other removable media.

kronhead

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data. I talking about less than a minute to index 500GB with 360000 files and a fraction of a sec to search ANY file. Check the author's site for more info.

Otherwise I found Visual CD far better than locate for indexing CDs, DVD and other removable media.

Looks interesting, but no indexing of network volumes - unless you can run a server function on the remote system. But I am using Jungledisk to store data on Amazon's S3 cloud servers, and I want to index those files as well. Locate works on them.

Actually, the reason I came to locate in the first place, was becuase I used Copernic, and they dropped support for network drives in their free version. "Everything" might work for my home computers, but not for cloud files. I do miss indexing file contents - and I cannot index email with *anything* since I started using IMAP and left the mail on the servers ... Oh, well.

Dan

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2009, 11:01 PM »

Looks interesting, but no indexing of network volumes - unless you can run a server function on the remote system. But I am using Jungledisk to store data on Amazon's S3 cloud servers, and I want to index those files as well. Locate works on them.

Actually, the reason I came to locate in the first place, was becuase I used Copernic, and they dropped support for network drives in their free version. "Everything" might work for my home computers, but not for cloud files. I do miss indexing file contents - and I cannot index email with *anything* since I started using IMAP and left the mail on the servers ... Oh, well.

Dan

Dan,

Try IMAPSize for your IMAP mail accounts. It will backup all of your IMAP messages locally and it also has a really good search facility for those backed up messages.

Jim

kronhead

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2009, 12:27 AM »

Dan,

Try IMAPSize for your IMAP mail accounts. It will backup all of your IMAP messages locally and it also has a really good search facility for those backed up messages.

Jim

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Dan

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2009, 03:04 AM »
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data.
That may be, but the UI looks a bit (too) simple to me. I don't want to spend the time to test it, but from looking at the screenshot and checking the FAQ, it doesn't seem to have presets (which I love about Locate). And is it usable with the keyboard only?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35 AM »
I have moved from Locate32 to Everything and find the latter much quicker to use everyday. It indexes incredibly quickly (without permanently storing large index files), it now detects removable drives on the fly (both insertion and removal) and it finds files as you type the name so you rarely have to type anything complete. I also love the simplicity of refining a search by adding deparate extra bits (an extension, a drive letter etc).

Give it a try (it is a tiny download) - it will be on your desktop and working within a minute (including downloading it)!

TurboJosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Die hard Win32 fan - favorite OS are Win2K & WinXP
    • View Profile
    • PowerTunePlus
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Wow, I just found this recommendation to try "Everything 1.2" and it is UNBELIEVABLE!!  I would have killed to learn about this software 10 years sooner!  It's one of the best pieces of software I have ever seen.  So good, why doesn't Windows come with this built in?  Windows built in Indexing Service is a laughable useless farce compared to Everything!

"Everything" builds a full index within 1 second!  It relies upon the NTFS USN Journal so it only works on NTFS drives.

I tried Google Desktop but couldn't get it to build an index right away and found it's "127.0.0.1" Http server program interface to be overly complicated and bloated.

Everything is just a dream come true.  EXTREMELY, BLISTERING fast, and outrageously small, lean and efficient.

Thank you VERY much to whoever recommended it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Windows come with this built in?  Windows built in Indexing Service is a laughable useless farce compared to Everything!
You can't really compare the two, since Everything only searches based on filenames. It's good for what it does, though. I personally don't like it has to run with admin privs, but without separating to a LUA GUI app and a admin service, that's just how it has to be.

Afaik it reads the MFT and not the USN Journal, btw - but the two are closely related.
- carpe noctem

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I personally don't like it has to run with admin privs, but without separating to a LUA GUI app and a admin service, that's just how it has to be.

I bought a license for PC Magazine's RAAC = Run As Admin Controller, which makes running an admin app from a user account more comfortable.  But, that's only really a solution on your own PC.  Otherwise, perfectly competent file finders abound, but none are as fast as Everything.