topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!  (Read 173431 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2008, 03:33 AM »
"Realtime indexing" would require locate32 (or a service for it) to be always running... it would be an okay optional feature, but I'd hate it if the program became dependent on it.

Thumbnails ho humm, as long as it can be turned off. For me, a very nice feature of locate32 is that it can run completely from it's index-database, without accessing files on disk (thus possibly spinning up harddrives, and definitely slowing down a bit compared to not accessing files).
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2008, 03:45 AM »
For me, a very nice feature of locate32 is that it can run completely from it's index-database, without accessing files on disk (thus possibly spinning up harddrives, and definitely slowing down a bit compared to not accessing files).

Doesn't it already do this? As in, when you search, doesn't it access just the database? 

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2008, 03:57 AM »
For me, a very nice feature of locate32 is that it can run completely from it's index-database, without accessing files on disk (thus possibly spinning up harddrives, and definitely slowing down a bit compared to not accessing files).
Doesn't it already do this? As in, when you search, doesn't it access just the database? 
Depends on your settings - if you want to track whether files have been deleted since database creation (the default, iirc) it needs to access files on disk. Same goes for icon extraction...
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2008, 10:05 AM »
You can't even compare the two coz IIRC Locate doesn't index content.

My wishlist for Locate (which IMO, would make it the best file search tool on the planet):
  • Realtime indexing - very low on resource consumption, better (perfect) results, no CPU spikes as with scheduled indexing.
  • Thumbnail mode for graphic files (would give it an outright advantage over other FS tools that do realtime indexing, none that I know of have this implemented)
  • Panes for listing recently added/changed & recently launched files (like with Ava Find)
  • Popup window showing files being added/modified (like in Filetracer)

Nice list nosh. That would indeed be cool. (as options, of course)

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01 PM »
  • Realtime indexing - very low on resource consumption, better (perfect) results, no CPU spikes as with scheduled indexing.
  • Thumbnail mode for graphic files (would give it an outright advantage over other FS tools that do realtime indexing, none that I know of have this implemented)
  • Panes for listing recently added/changed & recently launched files (like with Ava Find)
  • Popup window showing files being added/modified (like in Filetracer)

Realtime indexing and thumbnails have been in the todo list for while (actually I'm working with the latter right now, I hope that I can handle that).

To show recently added/changed files would require that live indexing, or at least somehow to figure out what have been changed (comparing old and new database or something like that). I think that this could wait that live indexing. A panel for recently launche files, hmm, I could considerthis. Maybe popup window for that list?

btw. this is not the best place to make suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:05 PM by jmj »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2008, 02:46 PM »
btw. this is not the best place to make suggestions.

Sorry, I'm lazy!  :-[

Maybe popup window for that list?
Yes, a popup window. Do take a look at FileTracer which does this. Ava Find shows the changed files & recently launched files panes.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2008, 12:54 AM »
I wish it had nice preview window for most file types :(

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2008, 05:50 AM »
see this post https://www.donation...49.msg86938#msg86938

Is locate better than XYplorer or not? What is the difference in their implementations? This is intriguing. If it turns out that a file manager indexes files as well, then it might be easier to use that one combined utility!...

hmm... it'd be great if dopus had locate built into it! as it is it's search is superfast, but it takes a while for the first search to complete each time you open it...
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2008, 06:12 AM »
hmm... it'd be great if dopus had locate built into it! as it is it's search is superfast, but it takes a while for the first search to complete each time you open it...
Then don't close it!  8)

Seriously, always let one Locate process run, schedule automatic updating of its database(s) and you can always rely on blazing fast, accurate search results.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:59 PM by brotherS »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2008, 03:04 PM »
new beta supports thumbnails as well

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53 AM »
see this post https://www.donation...49.msg86938#msg86938

Is locate better than XYplorer or not? What is the difference in their implementations? This is intriguing. If it turns out that a file manager indexes files as well, then it might be easier to use that one combined utility!...

Theyr'e different...  Locae32 is indexed, XYplorer has very good non-indexed search.  So does Total Commander, but someone still wrote a plug-in to use Locate32 inside TC, presenting results in a TC pane.

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2008, 11:00 AM »

Thanks for the update. :Thmbsup:

I keep trying Copernic, Google Desktop, and Windows Search amongst other but, always find myself using this fast little tool.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2008, 06:28 AM »

OMFG! Gotta try it (again) now. I installed the latest Copernic Desktop Search just for this feature yesterday and no matter how much they harp about speed gains I still find it s-l-o-w!

Edit: The program's home page lists a slightly old beta (it didn't have the thumbnails feature).
Here's the link to the Locate32 Beta Page
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:02 AM by nosh »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2008, 06:46 AM »

OMFG! Gotta try it (again) now. I installed the latest Copernic Desktop Search just for this feature yesterday and no matter how much they harp about speed gains I still find it s-l-o-w!

You should give Archivarius a shot if you are interested in searching file content as well... I use the two together - awesome combination!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I don't really need content search but I'd be lying if I said I haven't been curious about Archivarius for a while. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Darwin!  :up:

OK, couple of quick questions.
Does Archivarius have a thumbnail view for images?
Why do you use both? Or more specifically, what does Archivarius lack that Locate32 makes up for?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:18 AM by nosh »

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Edit: The program's home page lists a slightly old beta (it didn't have the thumbnails feature).
Here's the link to the Locate32 Beta Page

3.1.8.3260 has thumbnails, there is a message for that in the main page. The downloads page lists only all exe packages (with installers, no beta) and links to locations where other versions can be found.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2008, 10:32 AM »
3.1.8.3220 is the last beta linked from the main page, which I'm assuming is http://locate32.net

The only reference to .3260 is regarding translations. Am I missing something?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Try the beta download page at http://locate32.net/files/betas/

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2008, 10:10 PM »
3.1.8.3220 is the last beta linked from the main page, which I'm assuming is http://locate32.net

Ups  :-[, it seems that I have forgotten to add a message for 8.3260. It's there now.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59 PM »
After reading much praise of this application for a long time here at DC, I finally had the time and nothing in particular else to do yesterday afternoon  (before some other storm hit the fan!), so I downloaded and installed Locate32.  Beta version.  And of course since I had never installed a "stable" version, which includes the Windows installer, I had to figure out where to put which file and what to run to get the DB in place, etc., etc.  (What an idiot I am! Figured it out and ran the installer with the released version on my notebook after this and it was much easier!).

Anyway, I haven't had a chance yet to run through any serious searches - what I lovingly call my "PANIC searches"!! - what I have done so far was pretty darn impressive based on both speed and on the items it did find.  For example I searched using the first five characters for a file that I know is buried pretty deep and that there is only one possible result for those characters, and it had the result before I even finished typing!  Of course I type extremely fast; about 15 to 20 words per minute!!  If I look at the keys the whole time.... But Locate32 had the filename sitting there in the results box by the time I looked up from the keys.  Very quick.  I also tried searching for a filename that I knew positively was repeated exactly 10 times on my PC.  Of course it found about triple that - pre-fetch and the like.  But all results were that filename I knew about and references/links to that same filename elsewhere.

So at first blush, Locate32 is impressing the heck out of me!!

Thanks!

Jim

kronhead

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2008, 10:39 AM »
I have a question about searching the CONTENT of PDF files. I tried Locate32, and it finds some content but not others. I guess you really need something that understands PDF content? I have been using Copernic, and it finds things that Locate32 does not find. And when I open the PDF with a text editor, it does not find the content either ... But I can select the text in a PDF viewer. So it is definitely text, not image.

I started looking for something else when Copernic moved network drive support to its paid product. Locate32 looks great - but I do occasionally need to find content in PDF files.

Any suggestions?
Dan

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Locate is designed to serve the same purpose on Windows that GNU locate does on *nix boxes. It only indexes file metadata, not the contents of files.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44 AM »
kronhead, PDF files are... special.

For one, they can be compressed - that means anything not parsing the PDF files but treating as raw text (or binary) won't find the text. Some PDFs are in graphical format even if they don't contain anything but text... and they can also, iirc, contain PostScript code. So you definitely do need a searcher/indexer capable of parsing for decent results.
- carpe noctem

kronhead

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Locate is designed to serve the same purpose on Windows that GNU locate does on *nix boxes. It only indexes file metadata, not the contents of files.

I know it does not index the contents, but you can search for files containing specific text, on the advanced screen - that's what I was using.

Dan

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2008, 11:30 AM »
I know it does not index the contents, but you can search for files containing specific text, on the advanced screen - that's what I was using.
Yup, and that doesn't do "content-aware" search, it searches raw contents.
- carpe noctem