ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (4/33) > >>

Edvard:
Funny thing, whenever I'm in windows-land I can't stand flat, text based interfaces. When in Linux (Slackware, natch...) using KDE or XFCE, I reach for Midnight Commander every time. Go figure.

brotherS:
It's old school, however. Based on the powerful, but venerable Norton Commander it's for those of us who were weaned on DOS & if a mouse was ever spotted next to our computers we knew it was time to set out traps.  8)
-Innuendo (November 11, 2005, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
:D

I'm using keyboard only whereever possible, but still prefer programs with a nice UI, that don't look like coded in 1992 ;)

Icons, menus, and toolbars can all be custom-crafted to taste. All hotkeys are changeable. It supports skinning by programs such as WindowBlinds & StyleXP. Its looks can be changed to suit one's fancy.

--- End quote ---
I use Windows 2000 Pro (don't like XP that much) and don't want to use WindowBlinds. So there's no way to improve the look, right?

You should do a mini-review to wake our interest in that, keep it small like I did for Locate here if you like: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1385.new;topicseen#new  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
I use Windows 2000 Pro (don't like XP that much)
--- End quote ---

Can I ask why? (Just curious). If it is the 'blue theme' that can easily be turned off, and you can revert the Start Menu etc. so it all looks like 2000.

Granted it isn't a huge increase in terms of new stuff over 2000 but it is better supported these days by MS, and looks like it will be more so in the future (despite the huge corporate use of win2k).

I swapped from W98 to W2k and then WXP and I must say I was reluctant at each step (familiarity I suppose) but I have grown to like WinXP.

mouser:
btw.
a lot of us really dislike the default windows xp "skinned" blue appearance and start menu, etc.,
thankfully it can easily be changed into "classic" look which looks just like win2k.

brotherS:
I use Windows 2000 Pro (don't like XP that much)
--- End quote ---

Can I ask why? (Just curious). If it is the 'blue theme' that can easily be turned off, and you can revert the Start Menu etc. so it all looks like 2000.
-CarolHaynes (November 13, 2005, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I know, but when I decided what to use for this PC XP was still waiting for SP1 and I prefer an OS that's most stable and secure for the user. There were some other reasons too, don't remember right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version