topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!  (Read 173428 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2006, 05:42 AM »
welcome to the site jmj!  great to have you stop by.  :Thmbsup:

i should also suggest to all those locate lovers out there, now is your chance to donate a few credits to jmj to show your appreciation.  so if you've got some spare credits, now's your chance

remember, to give someone some credits, just click on the gold coin under their name.

mikem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2006, 08:23 AM »
hi, ive somewhat managed to set this up.

but i admit i have some more "reading" to do.

Anyways, i use it on a laptop and i have 4 external harddrives, 2 at home and 2 at work.

Ive set it to update at certain times during the day.

But my problem is that when it updates and not one of the drives are connected, the results for that drive are erased.

Is there anyway to prevent this? to keep the search results

for instance im at home, do a search and find a file located at "H: work hd 1"

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2006, 11:14 AM »
Make own database for each external drive and choose "Stop if root unavailable". Then locate should stop updating if drive is missing and leave that database untouched.

mikem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2006, 11:52 AM »
that was fast..

thanks,- seems to work on the drives here.

This program keeps getting better, being able to search ext. drive not even connected through database.

should have found it before

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 05:16 AM »
Update: Searches like *URL.txt;*lol*.jpg work in the latest beta now!

I must have misread that.  I thought you meant that it would search for both *URL.txt and *lol*.jpg at the same time.  It doesn't seem to, using Version 3.0 beta 5.10100.  Is that correct?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 05:24 AM »
Update: Searches like *URL.txt;*lol*.jpg work in the latest beta now!

I must have misread that.  I thought you meant that it would search for both *URL.txt and *lol*.jpg at the same time.  It doesn't seem to, using Version 3.0 beta 5.10100.  Is that correct?
It works and always worked here, I use exactly that feature several times every week. In the "Advanced" tab, I have only the first option checked - you too?

But why are you using an old beta? I use 2.99.6.7240.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 05:32 AM by brotherS »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 05:29 AM »
it works for me.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 05:41 AM »
In the "Advanced" tab, I have only the first option checked - you too?

I haven't got anything ticked in "Advanced"...

But why are you using an old beta? I use 2.99.6.7240.

Looks like that might be the reason.  Installed 6.7240; multiple wildcard searches work now.  Many thanks!  :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Meanwhile, Locate is at version 3.0 beta 6.9030, and I still love it! :Thmbsup:

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2006, 11:36 PM »
If someone is interested, there is small fix for 6.9030:
http://www.uku.fi/~j.../locate32_230906.zip

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2006, 01:47 AM »
 Thank you sir,this has become my search utility of choice.
Keep up the good work. :Thmbsup:

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2006, 01:02 AM »
RC1 (2.99.6.10080) is now released, it's here:
http://www.uku.fi/~j...e32-2.99.6.10800.exe (64 bit: http://www.uku.fi/~j...x64-2.99.6.10800.exe).

Lately I have had too little time to work with Locate (that probably will be the case in future too) and  therefore the program's todo list is just grown all the time. So I am asking if someone here would be keen on doing something for the program. At least, there are couple of things which would be quite easy to implement as "external modules", for instance, features related to Explorer (shell extensions):
- a toolbar for Locate in Task bar
- better context menu commands that, for example, makes easier to create databases for cataloquing CD-ROMs
- an extension to Explorer which makes possible to see searches as a part of filesystem (e.g, folders like Extensions.{692F0339-CBAA-47e6-B5B5-3B84DB604E87})
- integration in the File/Open dialogs

The full todo list can be found from the readme.txt file which is included in the installation package.

I can provide more information if some one is interested. I'll also publish the source code when the final 3.0 version is relased, so after that other things are also possible (I can also send the source code right now if someone wants it).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2006, 09:57 AM »
I wouldn't mind hacking a bit away at the source code myself, but I'm realistic and I know I can in no way maintain a developer role for it - just look how erratic my release schedule for fSekrit has been. It would be nice if you opensource locate, with some sane (ie, non-gpl, perhaps BSD or ZLIB) license.
- carpe noctem

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15 PM »
I haven't consideres which license to use, but BSD would be good.

tim254

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I've used alot of hard drive file finding programs, and spent days looking for one several years ago.  The one that I found that did most of what I want is FileTracer.  It's not perfect, and it's not free, but it works great.  It works in real-time and I've never noticed a system slowdown because of it. 

One of it's coolest features is the capability to work with "open file" and "save file" dialogs.  I can find any file on my system and paste it's path within seconds with FileTracer, no wasting time browsing to the file via the "open" dialog box. 

I really only have one issue with it ... if you add / remove external hard drives all the time and you reboot, it wants to re-index your hard drives.  However, if you press ignore it'll still work since it didn't delete the database.  One last thing, the developer is not very responsive, at least he hasn't been with me. 

I've evaluated Locate 3.0 (plus dozen of other programs) and I didn't like the way it work in comparison to FileTracer.  However, my taste in software is different that most people's anyway.  I don't like SyncBack either ... I'm a SecondCopy fan. 

http://www.filetracer.com/

--
Tim

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2006, 08:03 PM »
for me it's either Locate (http://locate32.webhop.org/) or File Locator Pro (http://www.mythicsof....com/filelocatorpro/), no exceptions ;)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2006, 05:03 AM »
I've used alot of hard drive file finding programs, and spent days looking for one several years ago.  The one that I found that did most of what I want is FileTracer.  It's not perfect, and it's not free, but it works great.  It works in real-time and I've never noticed a system slowdown because of it. 
If you like it so much, please consider to write a mini-review about it. If "works in real-time" means that it doesn't index files it's not really comparible to Locate, since you don't have the blazing speed then.

One of it's coolest features is the capability to work with "open file" and "save file" dialogs.  I can find any file on my system and paste it's path within seconds with FileTracer, no wasting time browsing to the file via the "open" dialog box. 
I'm not sure I understand 100% what you mean, but Locate offers lots of stuff around 'making your life easier with files and paths' too.

I really only have one issue with it ... if you add / remove external hard drives all the time and you reboot, it wants to re-index your hard drives.  However, if you press ignore it'll still work since it didn't delete the database.  One last thing, the developer is not very responsive, at least he hasn't been with me. 
Hm... so you have to pay for FileTracer, there's a severe bug and the coder won't fix it? That's 3 more reasons why I love Locate! :D

I've evaluated Locate 3.0 (plus dozen of other programs) and I didn't like the way it work in comparison to FileTracer.
Please share what you missed in Locate, it just might be added! :)

tim254

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Thanks brotherS for the detailed response.  You convinced me ... I'll write up a mini review.  It's tough to explain via screenshots and you really can't show the power of it unless you see it in action.  So, I downloaded Wink and I plan to post a nice presentation of it's features (learning Wink now).  It's amazing to me that the author of this program hasn't made a better website for it.

I'll demonstrate the "open file" and "save files" in my Wink flash presentation.  It's very cool.   

Yes, it might not be perfect, but there really is nothing out there that matches it IMHO.  Since Locate isn't real-time it's not in the same category.  It's a great program, but I need real-time.  I tried AVA-Find and it's missing several cool features of FileTracer, like automatic refresh and the ability to edit the file types search which I'll show via Wink.

--
Tim

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2006, 03:03 AM »
just been trying 'filetracer'.

the working with 'open/save file dialog boxes' and the windows explorer address field allow you to quickly input a 'filetracer' search result into the dialog box - or the explorer address field.

so, you could be working inside a program and want to quickly open a file into the program but can't remember where it's located.

you open the standard 'file open' dialog box within the program and then hit the F12 key to bring up 'filetracer'.

then search for the file using 'filetracer'. select the file you want from the results list and hit enter - this then copies the result back into the opened 'file open' dialog box. from here you proceed as you usually would and open the file into the program.

now, this might seem like a pointless thing to do - you could just bring up 'filetracer' (or locate, etc), do your search and open the file as you'd expect.

the thing that is clever about the 'filetracer' method is that you can avoid opening the default program that is associated with the the file type you are searching for - assuming the software you are using is not the program with the default association. if it is the default prog then i see no advantage in doing it the 'filetracer' way.

the 'save file' dialog works in the same way - which is more of an original way of working - you'd be searching for a file that you wish to overwrite. not entirely sure how useful this is but it's certainly unique so could be quite handy.

the ability to copy the file/folder name out of 'filetracer' into an explorer address field of the in focus window is also a neat kind of trick. how useful it is, i really don't know. i can see that it would be helpful to quickly open searched for folders within the explorer window you've got open - rather than keep opening new explorer windows from the results found in Locate, etc. (i think that is how they would work).

the most important function of 'filetracer' has got to be the real time way that it works. as far as i can see, the database doesn't need to be refreshed at certain intervals as it's constantly updating itself. as soon as a new file/folder is made or moved, 'filetracer' nows where it is. now, i have to say, that's such an obvious thing to expect from all these file/folder finder programs i can't really understand why it's not a function of them all. it's the main reason why i don't use these types of programs - having to update the database after i've made a few new files/folders seems like a major annoyance, but i guess it's just how you use your pc.

(i'll just clarify - this 'real time' method of working is not like how 'find and run robot' works. the search isn't performed in real time, 'filetracer' doesn't have to scan your hard drives to obtain the result. the 'real time' aspect is that 'file tracer' nows exactly what is happening on your system as you are working on it - the results list that it produces are instant as they are drawn from a database - it just appears to be modifying the database constantly as you work.)

would i use 'filetracer' because of the features it has that the others don't? maybe, but i doubt it. i don't like the shortcut keys - no win key - so i really can't be bothered with it. i tend to know where all my files/folders are - so i can get to things relatively quickly anyway - just as quick as trying to find the file/folder i want from the result list that these types of programs throw up.

as for 'Locate' - it's a great program - but it is lacking the 'real time' ability to keep a check on files and folders - hopefully it will be implemented at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:12 AM by nudone »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2006, 03:52 AM »
i'd like to make a suggestion, if i may be so bold, for improving 'Locate'...

if the real time system monitoring was implemented (like in 'filetracer'), i'd also like to see something similar to the way 'find and run robot' displays the search results, i.e. real time sorting/displaying of the results as you type.

if these things could be done then i think i'd be converted - otherwise, i think i'll wait for the time that 'find and run robot' eventually obtains a more system wide ability to quickly search for files/folders.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2006, 03:08 PM »
i'd like to make a suggestion, if i may be so bold, for improving 'Locate'...

if the real time system monitoring was implemented (like in 'filetracer'), i'd also like to see something similar to the way 'find and run robot' displays the search results, i.e. real time sorting/displaying of the results as you type.
Since real time system monitoring is slowing your system down by default (even if only a bit), I doubt it will be added to Locate. I don't miss that btw, I only rarely need to update my Locate databases manually between the scheduled intervals.

A 'display results as you type' feature though might come in real handy at times, could maybe be added as an alternative to how it works now. :up:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2006, 03:39 PM »
i appreciate that real time monitoring must be slowing the system down - but i'd guess it's unnoticeable on modern computers. i certainly couldn't perceive any difference in the speed of my system.

i'd just say give 'filetracer' a quick try and if things felt sluggish then fair enough.

i certainly wouldn't want to see a feature implemented that did make the system less responsive but i honestly could not detect any difference when using 'filetracer'.

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2006, 01:05 AM »
Real time monitoring and "display result as you type" have been in the program's todo list for a long time. Both will be implemented so that those can be turned on and off.

btw. RC2 is out:  http://www.uku.fi/~j...e32-2.99.6.10220.exe

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2006, 01:26 AM »
There is one feature I have been wanting for a long time, but have never taken the time to speak up about it.  It would be quite helpful if the main search window (Name & Location) had a 4th dialog box below "Look In:"  Essentially what it would do is, whatever you type into that box is like a live filter of any search results that have been returned to you.  So it, wouldn't take up any processing power or run in the background, but as you type characters into that box it filters down the search results that were returned to you.  That way if i knew I was looking for a text file, but not sure which exactly, and had a bunch a different combinations to search, I could just search .txt, then, saving myself alot of searches and leaving every possible file I'm looking for (.txt) in front of me, I could continuously try different typed combinations to narrow down my results (and they narrow as i type in that box), just without having to execute more searches.

Basically for me, it's like executing a Newsleecher search then filtering the results using the 'live' results filter.
Make sense?  I hope! :)  Any chance this could happen for locate?

Thanks for listening.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05 AM »
Real time monitoring and "display result as you type" have been in the program's todo list for a long time. Both will be implemented so that those can be turned on and off.

btw. RC2 is out:  http://www.uku.fi/~j...e32-2.99.6.10220.exe

fantastic. the best of both worlds being able to turn the 'real time' monitoring on and off. great idea.