ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

(1/33) > >>

brotherS:
Check out http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Locate/1044509669/1 (if you want to install the latest beta you need to install the latest full version from the Locate homepage (listed there too) before you install the beta)

Publisher's Description:
Locate saves names of all files in your hard drives to file database. After that you can locate files. This program works like updatedb and locate in Unix systems. Win32 based locating program also included.

Is that the perfect replacement for Windows' Win+f search? It is!  :-*

Only needing ~5 seconds (yes, that includes typing your search) to find a file? Great!!

I tested Locate waaaay back and didn't look at it again for a long time - it's unbelievable how great it works now; and it only uses 2 MB RAM! This is how Locate could look for you (the great (and free!) FastStone Image Viewer is in the background):

By clicking the Presets button (or using its keyboard shortcut, which I prefer) a menu pops up, showing you the searches you already saved, and allowing you to remove and add presets. Presets are very helpful for those searches that you are using again and again. A preset could include filenames, extensions, size limits... you name it. Very helpful!

This is the latest settings window - you can now set the first two "Locate dialog" settings to always have Locate running in the tray when you hit ESC or click the close button - then just press Windows+f to have it pop up again - very handy:

Here you see the Database settings. A Database could be one partition or just one or three directories - you decide! You could also exclude certain paths. It's very easy to create several databases with include and exclude options. Clicking on one and clicking "Edit" will get you to the details:

In the Auto update settings you can choose when which database is supposed to be updated - for example, you can set one not-so-interesting database to be only updated once a day (should you really need an up to date database you can just right-click the tray icon, indexing is quite fast) and another one every hour - splitting them up saves time in this case:

What I also like about Locate is that I can set it to close to the tray when I hit ESC. I'm using AutoHotkey to start it (bring it back from tray) instead of Windows' own search when I press Win+F, and I use Shift+Win+F to run a second instance of Locate when I need it:

--- ---#Persistent
#f::
IfExist,C:\Programme\Locate
  run, C:\Programme\Locate\Locate32.exe
return

#Persistent
#+f::
IfExist,C:\Programme\Locate
  run, C:\Programme\Locate\Locate32.exe -i
return

Update: Searches like *URL.txt;*lol*.jpg work in the latest beta now!

Update: I asked "how to set Locate to 'activate' the first found file when the search is done (like in the Windows search) or maybe even already when the first file is found." - thanks to the nice coder this features has been added!

[edit by mouser: please upload pictures instead of linking to them!]

Carol Haynes:
Looks interesting - could it be used as a backend for find and run (rather than GDS) ???

By the way the homepage location for this is http://locate32.webhop.org/ which also has a daily builds section ... no source code unfortunately ...

m_s:
I have used Mythicsoft's Agent Ransack for a few years, and found it to be very good.  Recently upgraded to their FileLocatorPro, and I am incubating a mini-review of that, which I'll hopefully have up in a few weeks' time.  Thanks for pointer to Locate, which I'm trying now...

Veign:
Give Seeker a try and tell me what you think..

It does not create index files but is an active search and replace tool. 

Features:
    * Search for files based on a file name mask, multiple file extensions, date restriction, or size restriction
    * Replace text inside of files
    * Command line parameter support
    * Regular expression support
    * Preview all search results in a convienent highlight view mode (from detailed or structure report mode)
    * Powerful reporting with four different modes

I use this tool all the time for doing mass find and replace in website I design.  Also good for locating code quickly in web dev projects. 

A new version will be worked on next year that will introduce special file handlers to search inside of proprietary files with their native search tools (like Word and Excel documents).

Edvard:
Since experimenting with replacement shells, I have been on a hunt for file finder apps for a long time. I am familiar with the Unix thingummys, I'll give Locate 3.0 a try. If you like the Unix way of doing things, you might also try the tools from the CygWin Project and pipe your Locate through Grep to get multiple 'hits'. On the other hand, things I have found so far as useful replacements for file finding:

the ever-venerable Agent Ransack
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

newcomer ScanDir (and current favorite...)
http://www.skybird.net/ScanDir/

supposed-to-be-really-cool-but-never-worked-for-me XFind (from the makers of power tool X-Setup)
http://www.xteq.com/products/xfnd/

$.02

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version