topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A tip about creating your own "C:\ProgramFiles" directory vs "C:\Program Files"  (Read 11083 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've written about this before on this thread, but i wanted to mention it again because of it's relevance to using FARR efficiently.

When programs are installed onto your PC using an installer, they by default go into your "C:\Program Files" directory (or if you are using windows x64 something similar).

Such programs always create start menu items, and you remove them using an uninstaller.

Now, occasionally you will download a program that has no installer.  That you are meant to copy yourself to a permanent directory somewhere.

My advice, and the point of this post, is to recommend that you do NOT put such programs in your "C:\Program Files" directory.

I'm advocating that you make your own directory (I use "C:\ProgramFiles" no space, but you could use anything).  By keeping these files in a separate directory, you will know that these files do not have uninstallers and so you can delete them manually, and do not have entries automatically put in your start menu, etc.

For FARR this is useful because you can add this directory to your search folders and it will be scanned very quickly since it is so small, vs. trying to add the massive "C:\Program Files" directory which should be kind of pointless anyway since the programs there should already have start menu items.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
very good tip  :Thmbsup:

personally my own program files directory was at some point in My Documents folder ! ;) not anymore...

For FARR this is useful because you can add this directory to your search folders and it will be scanned very quickly since it is so small

it will be even better when we will be able to filter what files should be searched, i'm talking about the extension filter feature that we are waiting for ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like to keep the C: drive clean, but I've used a variation on this for years. I put all the small installer-less apps in C:\Program Files\Mini-Tools

I also keep a copy on the (easy to sync single) Mini-Tools folder on my ThumbDrive so I have quick access to key utilities when I'm on-site.

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
Quite a good suggestion, but for those who have already been using the C:\Program Files Directory, I suggest not adding it to the FARR scanned directories. Instead, place a shortcut to the program executables in the start menu and FARR will index those. I still keep my start menu organized in case i need to look through my list of programs.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
My unattended XP setups have been modified to change "Program Files" to "Programs", and "Documents and Settings" to "Settings" - and I keep all the non-installer stuff in "c:\usr\prg", and small commandline utilities in "c:\usr\bin". Works like a charm :-*
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm very crazy, and all programs go into "Program Files" (well, the Spanish equivalent). Then again, I also create Start menu entries for those programs without installer, as it's easier to remember "Help" than "index.htm" as the keyword to access the program documentation.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Neat idea! A possible drawback: some program update helper utilities like http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ also finds, and look for updates for, some non-installed programs if they are in the system's default programs folder. Process Explorer for example. I'm not sure if update helpers would find such programs if they were placed in some other root folder.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The filehippo one will let you add custom locations so it works ok (its the only 1 i'm using)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that's good news grorgy!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a cool tip! i myself put all the extracted programs in a sub-folder inside "Program Files" and reference that folder instead. :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What I do is : put all these programs without an installer in the usual folder (program files), add a shortcut to each of them inside the "Favorites" directory or the  "...\Start Menu\Programs\" one, and "tag" these programs' folders with a special suffix so that I can differentiate them from those other programs installed with an installer. A bit more complex...  :-[ But it works to.

manimatters

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why don't you use ZipInstaller?

The ZipInstaller utility installs and uninstalls applications and utilities that do not provide an internal installation program. It automatically extracts all files from the Zip file, copies them to the destination folder you select, creates shortcuts in the start menu and in your desktop, and adds an uninstall module to allow you to automatically remove the software in the future.
http://www.nirsoft.n...t/utils/zipinst.html

I personally zip whatever application there is, and then use zipinstaller to install it in the default Program Files directory, it gives me an uninstall option as well as startmenu icons, so *all* my programs go in that directory. Plus zipping the original files gives a more organised way of storing the program, kind of like an installer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:21 PM by manimatters »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I have a program that doesn't include an installer and I am confident that I am going to keep it and continue using it (so it isn't a "Oh that's that one thing I used that one time... *Delete*" kind of program) then I just make an installer for it myself via Inno Setup. It is time consuming but then I move my self-made setup files to my backup drive, and it works wonders on reformats...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What I do is : put all these programs without an installer in the usual folder (program files), add a shortcut to each of them inside the "Favorites" directory or the  "...\Start Menu\Programs\" one, and "tag" these programs' folders with a special suffix so that I can differentiate them from those other programs installed with an installer. A bit more complex...  :-[ But it works to.

i too prefer a less-cluttered 'start menu' and 'add-remove programs' panel hence i go for portable or 'green' programs. and for back-ups and restores, Skrommel's Text2Shortcut comes in handy. :up:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why don't you use ZipInstaller?

Good idea.