ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A tip about creating your own "C:\ProgramFiles" directory vs "C:\Program Files"

<< < (3/3)

Armando:
What I do is : put all these programs without an installer in the usual folder (program files), add a shortcut to each of them inside the "Favorites" directory or the  "...\Start Menu\Programs\" one, and "tag" these programs' folders with a special suffix so that I can differentiate them from those other programs installed with an installer. A bit more complex...  :-[ But it works to.

manimatters:
Why don't you use ZipInstaller?

The ZipInstaller utility installs and uninstalls applications and utilities that do not provide an internal installation program. It automatically extracts all files from the Zip file, copies them to the destination folder you select, creates shortcuts in the start menu and in your desktop, and adds an uninstall module to allow you to automatically remove the software in the future.
--- End quote ---
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html

I personally zip whatever application there is, and then use zipinstaller to install it in the default Program Files directory, it gives me an uninstall option as well as startmenu icons, so *all* my programs go in that directory. Plus zipping the original files gives a more organised way of storing the program, kind of like an installer.

wreckedcarzz:
If I have a program that doesn't include an installer and I am confident that I am going to keep it and continue using it (so it isn't a "Oh that's that one thing I used that one time... *Delete*" kind of program) then I just make an installer for it myself via Inno Setup. It is time consuming but then I move my self-made setup files to my backup drive, and it works wonders on reformats...

lanux128:
What I do is : put all these programs without an installer in the usual folder (program files), add a shortcut to each of them inside the "Favorites" directory or the  "...\Start Menu\Programs\" one, and "tag" these programs' folders with a special suffix so that I can differentiate them from those other programs installed with an installer. A bit more complex...  :-[ But it works to.
-Armando (June 28, 2008, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

i too prefer a less-cluttered 'start menu' and 'add-remove programs' panel hence i go for portable or 'green' programs. and for back-ups and restores, Skrommel's Text2Shortcut comes in handy. :up:

Armando:
Why don't you use ZipInstaller?
-manimatters (June 28, 2008, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version