topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: HTMLViewer and CSS  (Read 4327 times)

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HTMLViewer and CSS
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Is there any way to get a webpage to open in the viewer and then apply a local CSS file to it.

It seems to me that a lot of webpages have useful information on them but just occupy too much space on screen to work nicely in the viewer. I was wondering if you could specify the URL and the CSS name in the FARR's Alias. FARR would then open the URL in the mini-viewer and then apply the CSS. The CSS would then strip away all the unwanted bits.

I guess there are ways to do this with some of the existing add-ins or a new add-in. I just wondered if there was something more simple available.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: HTMLViewer and CSS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27 AM »
i think this is a great idea. let me think about ways this might be done.

herojoker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I think this is very closely related to the requested greasemonkey-like addon.
In my opinion the user-specified CSS file should be loaded after the ones specified in the document. You could also add the possibility to add user made Javascript files.
There should be per-site and global settings for each.

mouser: If you implement this, please write a plugin (do not add it to the core functionalities; of course APIs may be added for this, if not already there)

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:55 PM »
I don't have an opinion as to whether it should be a plugin or part of the core FARR, thats is for mouser to decide the best way to do it (if he decides this is a worthwhile addition).

From an end user's point of view I think the ideal would be to download a package which included the alias, css file and javascript file all in one go. I guess it would also be nice if the package could contain more than one set of alias/css/javascript files together. In addition DCUpdater would be able to update the package replacing the CSS/Javascript files if, for example, the layout of the webpage changes.