ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stardock doesn't treat you like a criminal!

<< < (2/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Awesome, hope we can get something!

Deozaan:
I just emailed Stardock to inquire about a DC discount on their programs.  I'll let you all know when I hear back from them.
-cthorpe (July 01, 2008, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool! I hope if they give us a discount it will include their games. :)

cthorpe:
Cool! I hope if they give us a discount it will include their games. :)
-Deozaan (July 03, 2008, 11:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I made sure to specifically ask for discounts on their games as well as their utilities.  I am really interested in Sins, and my wife wants Political Machine.

Carl

J-Mac:
Sorry, but Brad is fudging a little there.  OK, OK - Brad is fudging a lot there!!

When WindowBlinds V.5 was in beta and right through the first full release, many users came to the forum and posted about having problems with WB.  Brad would always ask them to post what it said on a specific Settings page.  When they did, if it referred to a specific line of text as being a problem, that meant that they were using a crack to run it.

Brad would then berate them up and down.  Problem was, many legitimate users also complained about other rendering issues that they suspected were related to the crack blocking code within WB.  Brad denied that his code could do that to subscribed users, but I think they lost quite a few over this issue.

Now maybe he decided to change that policy and embrace the statements shown in the original post here.  I haven't been there much in the last year.  But if you look through their forums about 1 to 2 years back you'll see all that.  If not, I'll try to locate specific threads and post links here.

Jim

cthorpe:
When WindowBlinds V.5 was in beta and right through the first full release, many users came to the forum and posted about having problems with WB.  Brad would always ask them to post what it said on a specific Settings page.  When they did, if it referred to a specific line of text as being a problem, that meant that they were using a crack to run it.

Brad would then berate them up and down.  Problem was, many legitimate users also complained about other rendering issues that they suspected were related to the crack blocking code within WB.  Brad denied that his code could do that to subscribed users, but I think they lost quite a few over this issue.

Now maybe he decided to change that policy and embrace the statements shown in the original post here.  I haven't been there much in the last year.  But if you look through their forums about 1 to 2 years back you'll see all that.  If not, I'll try to locate specific threads and post links here.

Jim
-J-Mac (July 03, 2008, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see where there is a problem.  First, the interview was specifically about games and not WindowBlinds.  Furthermore, there is nothing in there that states, explicitly or implicitly, that the company is going to embrace pirates and treat them with the same respect as paying customers.  The interview never states that Stardock is completely ignoring piracy problems.  On top of that, users who had cracked versions of WindowBlinds and then were audacious enough to ask the company for technical support deserved to be berated.  Perhaps it shouldn't have been done publically on the forums, but how would you handle someone who clearly stole something from you and then asked for help with it in public?  You mention that some legitimate users suspected that it was anti-piracy features that caused then problems.  Did any users ever find that it was, in fact, the crack blocking or did they just assume that it was the problem?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version