topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Router keeps having mysterious issues - help??  (Read 5311 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Router keeps having mysterious issues - help??
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Alright, this is REALLY starting to get on my nerves, so hopefully someone can shed some light on my issue.

I have a Linksys WRT300N wireless Draft-N router with a 4 port switch. It is about 2 years old, and up until a month ago it ran flawlessly. Amazing little router.

About 25 or so days ago the router started just dropping the internet altogether - no other changes, just no internet. No apparent cause, nor any warning; just gone. Resetting the power fixes the problem, but it reoccurs randomly. Doing a reset via the physical button fixes the problem, but it still comes back. Same with the router software (192.168.1.1) reset option. And last night my XP laptop totally lost the SSID - the other wi-fi computers had it, and my wired PC had internet, but the laptop just kind of fell off the edge into a black hole.

No changes to the router password, no SSID changes, no security changes, just loss of internet. And it is the router, not the modem or the internet itself.

I am somewhat suspicious of the next door neighbors attempting a hack of our internet, as they also have a router (with WEP2 security) - however I seriously doubt that they set it up themselves (Geek Squad, perhaps). I have beefed up the wireless security to WEP2 on our end as well, changed the router admin password and the password for wireless access. I will also go back to my old "difficult" setup of hiding the new SSID once the computers are setup, and also only allowing MAC addresses of our computers.

I still don't really think it is a repeated hacking attempt or DoS attack, but just a glitch in the router itself maybe. I am using the latest firmware (a year or so old, but still the latest)... and I have looked into open source firmware for Linksys routers, and it only works for the G series (and I have a WRT150G or something, our last router, but I need the speed/range of N, not G "with SPEEDBOOSTER").

Ideas? Thoughts? Advice? :tellme:

-Brandon

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Router keeps having mysterious issues - help??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:47 PM »
use http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php  bios. It resolved all my frustrations with linksys router including the issue you were having.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:02 PM »
I've had a very similar problem with my wrt150n. Sometimes, the router just shuts wireless down when there's too much trafic flowing through it.
Unfortunately, if you ask linksys, you'll probably get no answer (at least,the thread i saw about this problem had 4 pages of complaints and no answer from linksys).
I highly recommend dd-wrt. Although my router still crashes when there's too much traffic, now this doesn't happen everytime, only from time to time. It's still anoying, but not that much anoying.

PS: this is already my third linksys router, and all of them had problems along the way. The first one took 3 years, but now it's inoperable, the second one would get weak signal when i was 3 feet away from it, and i only bought this one because it looked like a good router.. Unfortunately, i think it'll be the last linksys router i'll ever buy. Not so much for the quality of the material (which sucks), but for the quality of the support, which i would expect to be better from such a renown company.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Guys please try the bios I linked in my previous post. I had the same issues now my 150n has not disconnected for a month(normally it would disconnect 2 times a day). dd-wrt has way nicer interface also upgrading is as easy as upgrading native linksys bios firmware.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:07 PM by kartal »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:26 PM »
I looked at the link and couldn't make heads or tails how to download the correct (and latest) firmware version... :huh:

Is there a tutorial somewhere I could follow to try this out? :read:

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31 PM »
http://www.dd-wrt.co...rted_Devices#Linksys

http://www.dd-wrt.co.../index.php/Index:FAQ

www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24/Broadcom/Linksys   Follow this link. You cannot use this link to goto their download page but use the titles in the link to go to correct page. Check out your model number and revision by looking at the bottom of your router. probably you will need to download mini bios version first. If bios is not compatible it wont upload to your linksys which is what happened to me at first.

This free bios just rocks, it is stable, nicer interface and robust features that is not available under shitty linksys firmware, this is like a ferrari compared to linksys gm cars.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Awesome! I was able to get it all up and running without bricking the thing! I am really impressed by the GUI and responsiveness of the options. Now just to make sure that the wireless PCs work...

Yep, perfect! :-*
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:17 AM by wreckedcarzz »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:13 AM »
just make sure that web gui is disabled. This is for accessing from outside of your network.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:18 AM »
Web GUI management is off - I messed with about 1/2 of the options; I do all the bandwith-intensive stuff so that QoS Gaming Mode option should definitely come in handy :)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:29 AM »
They have done some serious butt kicking work in there that puts all those big companies in shame. God knows how many hours I have lost because of needing to reset my router.