topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program sensing and conditional execution  (Read 3931 times)

idean

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Program sensing and conditional execution
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:46 AM »
Now that I have a Sprint EVDO card, I'm finding that the normal auto-update nature of Windows and Windows applications is very annoying sometimes.  Programs always seem to want to download huge updates whenever I get on EVDO versus doing it while I'm on WiFi...

What I'd like is an automatic, scriptable way of stopping and restarting a list of programs (such as Foldersync, Skype, etc...) whenever I start and exit the EVDO modem dialup application.  Can FARR do this for me?  Or can someone recommend a better way?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program sensing and conditional execution
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:54 PM »
FARR certainly can do the "start" part. Just make an alias with all your programs (options -> lists -> Aliases/Groups), and give it some name. Then, type its name in farr, and press ctrl+alt+enter, and it'll launch all the programs listed.
It cannot be done automatically, though...

I think this is sounds more like a request for a coding snack than a feature of farr ;)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program sensing and conditional execution
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43 AM »
And the stop part could probably be done with something like Sysinternal's pskill http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896683.aspx, configured for the whole list of programs you want to stop, and execute with Ctrl+Alt+Enter as well. I guess there might even be tools that will ask and application to terminate gracefully.

Putting the two lists in a batch file each would be even nicer. There's a help topic entry in FARR's help file by the way called: "Tip: Use Batch Files and Scripts"

The whole thing still would need to be triggered manually though.