ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Poll: Did you install Windows or was it pre-installed?

<< < (4/6) > >>

f0dder:
My first PC came with DOS6.22 and optional Win3.11 floppies, and my second PC came with Win95 (I think the vanilla version? I'm afraid I threw out the disc + license when I moved out on my own) preinstalled.

On every machine since that, I've installed Windows myself, and I've used nLite ever since I found it to enjoy the tweaks it can do (before that I did manual unattended setup, but nLites hotfix integration is just too nice not to use it).

I'm probably buying a laptop by September, which will no doubt come with windows preinstalled. Dunno if I'll keep it or install myself, depends on things like driver support etc.

4wd:
I've always installed Windows myself on my machines - the only exception being a laptop that came with a bog-standard XP Home OEM install.  That lasted about half a day before it became an nlite'ned XP installation.

On every machine since that, I've installed Windows myself, and I've used nLite ever since I found it to enjoy the tweaks it can do (before that I did manual unattended setup, but nLites hotfix integration is just too nice not to use it).-f0dder (June 25, 2008, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too  :Thmbsup:

Plus the fact I can get rid of all those necessities that Microsoft thinks are absolutely essential to your well being.

app103:
Every PC I have owned has come with Windows pre-installed...but only 1 of them was a factory install.

All of my computers have arrived at my home by making a detour to my dad's house for a bit, first.

In addition to installing Windows, and configuring it all to the way HE likes it, he has a habit of installing the OEM Bundle from Hellâ„¢ which means he hits some download site and grabs everything he can and keeps installing stuff till he falls asleep at the keyboard. The rest of the setup files of things he didn't get to, are included on their own partition.

Only after this, does the PC make its way from his house to mine.

The exception to this was the last PC he gave me, which didn't arrive in time for him to take out of the box, nevermind install the usual bundle. That had a nice factory pre-installed Windows, and a much smaller OEM bundle.  ;)

zridling:
CLARIFICATION: Even if your computer came with an OEM copy and you reinstalled it yourself, I'd count that more on the side of 'installing it" rather than "came with."

oldfart:
After the momentous battles I went through with Win95 and 98, installing XP is such a breeze that I wipe my drive regularly.  I remember having to remove every peripheral on the machine, installing 95 or 98 and then adding modem, sound card, video card, 3D accelerator, printer and scanner one at a time so it wouldn't confuse poor Windows.  Even then I often had to stop and go back to square one when Windows choked on one of the peripherals and bollixed up everything   It took a couple of days of blood, sweat and lots of cursing to do a complete wipe and reinstall.  Now I can get it done in a couple of hours.  Of course I have a broadband connection for downloading updates now instead of the old 54k dial-up of yesteryear.  The first time I did an install of XP I left all the peripherals except the printer and scanner attached and XP handled them with style.  I wanted to kiss Bill Gates right on the lips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version