ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Poll: Did you install Windows or was it pre-installed?

<< < (3/6) > >>

jgpaiva:
Only now did i notice i didn't actually reply to the question  :-[
On my personal computers, i always install a new windows not only to change partitions, remove crapware and etc, but also because most of the time i replace the original OS with the pro/bussiness version supplied by my university :)

cranioscopical:
Apart from one IBM ThinkPad I've installed Windows myself on every Windows-capable machine that I've owned.

jgpaiva:
Well, the results are pretty conclusive (this assuming that the trend will continue).
But i wouldn't expect anything else from this community :)
In terms of the general public, i'd say that the people that actually install their own OS are a very small minory, probably arround 10% or less (that's just a random number based on the people i know, which is just as good as any other statistic :P).

fenixproductions:
2jgpaiva
You counter is not good enough. You forgot about the rest of the world.

I could assume opposite way. Back in Poland I've seen hundreds of PCes with OS installed by owners / administrators. Many of them bought pretty new machines and "forgot" (or hoped for friends) about buying Windows itself. The most of them owns theirs computers from second hand. Only very small amount of people I've met bought PC with pre-installed operating system.

After all there is some kind of strange feeling which comes to me when I tell someone that I've spent more than one salary to own my Win XP Prof BOX ;)

Carol Haynes:
I have only ever bought one system with Windows pre-installed (98SE). Bad experience but at least at that time I got a proper copy on CD with the computer so I could wipe it and install it without all the rubbish.

Since then I have built my own systems.

I tell a lie - my laptop (bought in March) had Vista pre-installed but somehow XP magically appeared after I phoned the company and complained (they sent me an OEM XP Pro disc instead so I was happy to reinstall). I have to say the system was MUCH faster with XP (it only had 1Gb and Vista as preinstalled took up 70% of that). I have since added an extra Gb of memory and XP flies now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version