topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [Bug] Farr no longer auto completes custom alias after "tab" (v2.12.03)  (Read 30535 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how did you arrive at the 'precise' number of 534 - was it a result of some elaborate doctorate-level calculations? ;D

Could he have been counting down, using the same technique he employs in bug fixing?

[there goes my hope for another update]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So far so good  :Thmbsup:

then we can return to the issue of a more interactive completer for aliases with arguments, i had a few more ideas about it i will talk about later.

Sounds promising

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have you tried typing 543 in Farr?

Mouser this update is better and thanks for adding the "space" to alias completion

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
543 doesnt show anything, but i have heard that FARR knows about pretty people and good music..

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well I was hoping that you would have put something along the lines of "I am the greatest I am mouser!" :)

543 doesnt show anything, but i have heard that FARR knows about pretty people and good music..

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scratch that. Still having problems launching some aliases. For example if i type standby from nircmd alias pack and hit tab i get:

"nircmd.exe qboxcom "Do you want to Standby the computer?" "question" Standby"

and pressing enter doesnt launch the alias. To make things more confusing using the "Lock PC" alias from the same alias pack works fine?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My aliases are working. I have tried aliases with different structures. Would you mind posting yours so we can test them?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i have found the problem snewwave described.. update is coming.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok please one more time if i could get some testing and reports id appreciate it.
up to v2.13.06 btw
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:56 AM by mouser »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.13.06 is broken.

-Auto completing works
-Adding extra space after completion is gone
-Launching from alias command list via f keys is gone.

It feels like it is reverted to couple version back
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:54 AM by kartal »

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It fixes the problem i had above however as kartal mentioned it does not add a space after completing the alias. Also it no longer automatically launches the alias if there is only one result.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also it no longer automatically launches the alias if there is only one result.

are you sure? if you hit enter it should launch.

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Doh! It was actually one of my aliases that was using reststartsearch instead of dosearch  :-[

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Huh...  this one's got me baffled.  Just installed 2.13.06 from the link above.  I have two similar custom aliases (both of which are set to score 1000) and both of them are broken in a different way.

Group Alias Name:  disable
RegEx Pattern:  ^disable (.*)?
Results:  disable $$1 | c:\shortcuts\disable.bat $$1

When I type di and hit tab, FARR shows disable, but does not put a space after the auto-completed entry.  The results window shows 1 - disable $$1      Alias disable.  If I manually add a space, an argument, and press Enter, then it does work.

Group Alias Name:  enable
RegEx Pattern:  ^enable (.*)?
Results:  enable $$1 | c:\shortcuts\enable.bat $$1

When I type en and hit tab, FARR shows C:\Shortcuts\enable.bat  (including the space after the auto-completed entry).  When I type my argument and press Enter, nothing happens.  The results window shows only 1 - enable      C:\Shortcuts\.

Ideally, when I enter di or en and press tab, the entry should auto-complete (and show just the alias name, not the path to the program it's supposed to launch), and automatically add a space to the end of the entry.  At least, that's my preference.

Hope that helps.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CatamountJack: I think the only problem is that your "enable" script is in the directories farr search. I suppose you never want to launch the bat file directly, so, just remove it from the "c:\shortcuts" and you should be fine ;)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@CatamountJack
this one's got me baffled too

your "enable" alias autocompleting to a path ???  :tellme:

+ i don't understand why your aliases would not work
i have similar ones that work nicely...

mouser we need you ;)

what i suggested to mouser :
-autocomplete to the alias name + a space
OR
-autocomplete to whatever the user specified in a new autocomplete box in the alias edit dialog

that way we could give very meaningful names to an alias, so that we could "search" for it...

for instance :
Group Alias Name:  disable windows services hardwares
RegEx Pattern:  ^disable (.*)?
Autocomplete: disable{space}
Results:  disable $$1 | c:\shortcuts\disable.bat $$1

so you could type windows services to find you alias, but it would autocomplete to the correct "regex pattern"
today the best is to always keep the same name for the alias and the beginning of the regex pattern...

if the autocomplete box stays empty, then FARR autocompletes to the alias name + a space...

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@jgpaiva:  Yes, I do include C:\Shortcuts in my search folders, but I have a lot of other things in that folder I'd like to continue indexing*.  Currently I'm assigning a score of +200 to anything in that folder to give it an extra boost.  I suppose I could rename my batch files so they didn't have the same name as my aliases, but I would think the purpose of scoring is to take care of that.  If there isn't a fix, I might end up doing just that, but I'm hoping mouser will create a different, trivial bug so he can fix this one!  But thanks for the suggestion.

* Having that folder is a hold-over from when I used Launchy.  I used it to force an index of  important places by placing shortcuts to files and directories in the folder.  It also became a dumping ground to put a bunch of launcher-based utilities I often run.  Really, I could probably do without it now, but I'm lazy and it is still pretty convenient.

@nitrix-ud:  Sounds like that would certainly give the program a bit more added flexibility!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, i really didn't express myself correctly. I meant that you move on "enable.bat" out of the folder, if you're not using it directly (except through aliases) anyway.
Does increasing the score of the alias fix the problem?

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As someone who makes a living in doing computer tech support, I feel pretty stupid for not trying something so obvious already.  Yes, increasing the score of the "enable" alias does make a difference.   1041 seems to be the magic number to make it work.

Actually... I now just deleted enable.bat out of my scoring history and that seems to make the original 1000 score work again.  Sorry to hijack the thread over that issue.

Thanks for the help jgpaiva  :up:.

(Still hoping that mouser can make an automatic space after the auto-complete though!  :))

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the help jgpaiva  :up:.

(Still hoping that mouser can make an automatic space after the auto-complete though!  :))
-CatamountJack (July 01, 2008, 08:14 PM)
You're welcome!
I also agree with adding a space.
Actually, i think this autocomplete needs a global rethinking, because it doesn't really cope well with regular expressions :S

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, i think this autocomplete needs a global rethinking, because it doesn't really cope well with regular expressions :S

exactly right.

i'm going to have it always put a space, but we need to revisit this autocompletion thing soon since there is no perfect simple solution in all cases.  let me finish some other stuff and we can come back to this issue of autocompletion and multi-step wizards.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
but we need to revisit this autocompletion thing soon since there is no perfect simple solution in all cases.

@mouser,

probably i don't see all the potential issues, but i think you should not overdo it...
a small autocomplete box in the edit alias dialog where you let the user specify what FARR should autocompletes seems simple and a perfect solution for everyone

i, for one, won't mind taking 2 seconds to specify what FARR should autocompletes, plus it makes the autocompletion thingy more transparent...

s.newave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also it no longer automatically launches the alias if there is only one result.

are you sure? if you hit enter it should launch.

Still having trouble with this.

For example if i create an alias with the name "test" and "https://www.donationcoder.com/" as the result if i type "te" and hit enter it was my understanding that FARR would automatically launch the result because there is only one result for the alias. Instead it completes the alias to "test" and hitting enter then will launch the site. Same thing happens with any of the nircmd aliases.

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yup, same here.

Heh, I thought it seemed like I was having to hit enter a lot more to make my computer standby (I'm using the nircmd aliases too)...  but I hadn't realized why.