topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for web service that checks URLs and emails if URL breaks  (Read 6186 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's my use case. URLs are used in course materials as external reference sources. Those links often stop working and we want to be notified so we can update the course materials that use those broken URLs. I want to be able to maintain a list of the URLs, annotated or tagged or grouped by course name, and have the service email when the URLs no longer point to what they used to.

Anybody know of such a service that focuses on this?

I am going to look into using something like delicious for this, but that will be overkill and might be too complicated for the intended end user.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Perhaps you can place all the URLs in a html file, put it in a server and provide its URL in the text box here?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Should be very easy to create one, at least that is only accessible to you on your domain.

Use a script like:
function http_test_existance($url) {
 return (($fp = @fopen($url, 'r')) === false) ? false : @fclose($fp);
}

or better yet use:
http://us3.php.net/fsockopen

Then create a webpage, attached to a Cron job, that checks an array of URLs and sends emails out when they are dead.

Could probably be created in less than an hour.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:41 AM by Veign »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you can wait a day or so and have a domain running PHP with access to setup a Cron job I will create a CheckURL class in PHP that will accept a single URL or an array of URLs and perform a check and email or return the results.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can definitely wait. That would be a cool service. Could you turn it into one of your websites? Then it might justify your time spent.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not worried.  The reason I wouldn't make it one of my sites right now is time to create a user management system and any issues that may arise from sending lots of emails from my server.

I will create a class and sample usage page and put it in my web development section on Veign.  All you will have to do is download it, place it on your server, update the URL list, and setup a cron job to point to the sample file.  Run the job once a day and you should have what you need.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here it is;

Check if a url or group of URLs are valid:
http://www.veign.com...pe=web&codeid=65

Includes a sample page showing it working with a single URL and with an array of URLs.  There is also a Cron job page.  All you need to do is update the URLs and supply an email address for the email_report function call.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Did you get a chance to check out the code?  Did it work for you and do what you had needed?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I downloaded, but didn't test yet. I plan on doing that tonight. Also, mousers post about using URL snooper on docs and folders caught my eye. [I don't know if that post was sparked by this thread or not.] But my idea is to put it on a server, use URL snooper to go through all the .doc, .ppt, etc files and grab the URLs and then export as a page that will then be fed to your script. I may end up building something and hanging it on one of my own websites just to make it easier for them.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi tinjaw,
You have done a good question, it’s really interesting. If you get any good reply, so please let me know. So I’ll also get some good idea.
Thanks for your future help.

Sounds kinda of spammy to me (especially with the Video Editing link in the signature).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for web service that checks URLs and emails if URL breaks
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Veign.. Removed.

PS: it's the second time this guy makes spam like this.