Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 20, 2014, 11:03:37 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Searching network shares  (Read 4910 times)
macs
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »

If, for example, I type "C:\" then I can browse through the c drive. I can also get to sub folders by typing "c:\windows\" for example

Is there any way this can be done for network shares without mapping them to a drive letter. For example if I type "\\servername\" then can FARR list the shares on the server. Windows explorer can do this sort of thing so I assume suitable APIs exist.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »

right now FARR specifically tries to avoid network shortcuts because it tends to result in slowing down search.  but i will try to re-enable it as an option soon.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »

right now FARR specifically tries to avoid network shortcuts because it tends to result in slowing down search.  but i will try to re-enable it as an option soon.
Well, browsing SMB shares by typing in UNCs (ie, \\server\share\folder) and having the same kind of completion as if you typed in a local path would be nice. But it's probably a good idea to not follow UNC paths in shortcuts (like you currently are avoiding) exactly because of the slowdowns...

- carpe noctem
macs
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »

I was specifically thinking of typing in the UNC name rather than following UNC paths in shortcuts. Its mainly because I have a few shares on my server and the kids' machines which I occasionally need to access but which I don't want to assign a drive letter to due to Windows only having 26 drive letters available. It is mainly so I can type "\\servername\share" and have windows explorer open rather than anything else. What I do at the moment is type "c:\" into FARR press Enter, then when explorer opens I press home and then type "\\servername\share" which whilst working is a bit more work than I'd like.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

if you map the network path to a drive then it works. sorry didn't read properly.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »

macs: I'm with you here smiley - have the same needs. I only have two small (but fast!) drives in my workstation, and keep the motherlode on my fileserver.

- carpe noctem
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

i'll put this higher in my priority and see if i cant get it in, in the next couple of weeks.
melvynadam
Participant

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »

Any updates?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

sorry this escaped my memory, i will try to have another look asap.
DrCurl
Participant

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:50:27 AM »

have you had the chance to look into this mouser?
pigeonlips
Participant

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.08 ]