ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Weather Watcher 5.6 - now better than ever!

<< < (4/7) > >>

mouser:
another thing we as a community have to come to terms with is this:
i'll bet you anything he would rather not put this adware into his program.

this is just a guess, but i'll bet you he'd be much happier just getting an occasional donation.
but the sad reality is with few exceptions, people just do not donate.  we're trying to make a little bit of headway on that front here, with some success.

try to put yourself in the shoes of an author who wants to write freeware but can't afford to pay the rent, and is trying to find an alternative.  not an alternative way to get rich - but an alternative way just to pay bills.  there are so many authors out there who would gladly work their hearts out (including me) if they could get enough donations just to live above the poverty line.  right now that's just about impossible to do through donations.  even this site which i think works relatively well could not come close to getting enough revenue to pay even a single person minimum wage.  note even HALF minimum wage.  think about that for a moment..

here's what i'm going to do now, and i suggest if there are people who've used weather watcher for over a year do the same.  i'm going to go to the singer creation's site (http://www.singerscreations.com/Donate.asp) , and i'm going to make a small donation of $5, and tell him thank you for the adfree version.  and i'm going to also point him to this thread - maybe he wants to make a comment.

mouser:
Weather Watcher forum thread on the adware issue, good reading:
http://www.singerscreations.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=962

(note there are 5 pages in that thread, change pages on lower left).

clif_notes:
Thanks for the answers Mouser. I asked an even harder question in the security forum.  :D

Try this one on for size. You really don't have to answer, but I wanted to make a point there so that they might accept my view a bit easier. I'd recommend the freeware as you said, with a warning.

Dr. Zxx is evil. In fact, he's an evil genius. While working in his hidden laboratory for 20 years he has killed dozens of test subjects and subjected many to treatments that would be considered torture by any standard. The test subjects were human.

Dr. Zxx has come out of hiding and has revealed to the world his new wonder drug. It can cure cancer. Any cancer. It's cheap, easy to make and he's not taking a patent on it. In fact he wants the world to use it.

The evil doctor has also revealed his methods of discovery and the world is shocked and rocked. What should they do with the new wonder drug?

Ban it because of the evil method of it's discovery?
Use it to save millions of lives?
Bury their head in the sand and forget the question?

It's up to you ...-clif
--- End quote ---

mouser:
definitely a hard question, and relevant in the current day with all the talk of torture.

i guess for me, the most important thing is the principle of discouraging such practices.

if that means destroying the cure, so be it.  if it means otherwise punishing the doctor to the extend that no one would dare do what he did again, but still using the cure, that would work too.

these kinds of things happen a lot, and the most commmon solution taken in real life seems to me to be the worst - we bury the truth about how the material was gotten, cover it up, create a false history and pretend nothing wrong was ever done.

redmaledeer:

There is also Weather Pulse as an alternative.   When I compared Weather Pulse (WP) against the previous version of Weather Watcher (WW),  the two seemed very similar to me.   I chose WP because I preferred some small detail of its presentation.   When I chose WP I don't think I was aware of malware issues with WW.   Does anyone know of malware issues with WP?

Pricelessware,  which I think highly of,  lists Weather Watcher but not Weather Pulse (http://www.pricelessware.org/).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version