ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Weather Watcher 5.6 - now better than ever!

<< < (3/7) > >>

clif_notes:
I've updated my comments about Weather Watcher to include a question to the readers that I'd like to get an answer to. http://freewarewiki.pbwiki.com/WeatherWatcher

Should I recommend a good clean freeware program even if the authors also host or create adware infested programs? Yes No other.

Every software author has the right to ask for compensation. Adware is just another way of asking. If it's done right, most people don't mind. If it's done with deceit and disregard for the end user, people get righteously angry. Sometimes, you find one somewhere in the middle, like this one.

Let's hear what the DonationCoder people think.

brotherS:
Should I recommend a good clean freeware program even if the authors also host or create adware infested programs? Yes No other.
-clif_notes (November 12, 2005, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes - but tell that coder that one would simply prefer a "Donate" button in the program (@mouser: idea for you too?).

mouser:
my view:

there is nothing wrong at all with properly labeled adware (that downloads and displays ads in the program) that does not otherwise infect the users system. nothing. it's merely an alternate way to get compensation other than charging people.  it's just important that it be properely labeled.

programs that secretly install adware, or secretly install things like ad toolsbars in browsers, or any installation of spyware stuff that sends info back to to the company or another, should be illegal.

clif_notes:
Hi Mouser, well thought and stated. I agree with every point. I posted the same question in a security forum. I wonder if they'll feel the same way.

The problem they will see, (using my esp), is that WhenU and SaveNow are bad words to them. I'm not familiar with them but I've got the idea that they are not simple programs that display an advertisement in the host program. They both affect how Internet Explorer works in some ways. Doing a search on the internet may not give you an accurate picture of what these two programs currently affect because the adware companies have been changing the way they work recently.

These two adware programs are bundled with the other version of Weather Watcher which neither BrotherS nor myself have tried.

Knowing these additional facts, would you change your opinion?

I'll go further and ask this ...
If the authors of the Weather Watcher had a spyware version hosted right next to the freeware version or a donationware version, would you still recommend it? By spyware, I do mean applications that report back to the mothership and sometimes open the doors to other hidden installs.

mouser:
yeah then it gets trickier...

let's start by saying something, i've used weather watcher for a couple years now, and i have the new version installed now.  no sign of anything bad from it.

but i do see a WhenU/SaveNow version of Weather Watcher on the website, and as you say this is not simply displaying adware in the application, but rather it does stuff to your internet explorer or otherwise lives on your system and pops up ads.

although this is not spyware i view such extreme adware as unacceptable, and i would never install such a program that included it on my computer.

however i cant help but be sympathetic to an author who it seems to me is just trying to get a little money back from software that he has always made available (and continues to make available without ads) free.

where i would fault the author of weather watcher is not more clearly on the website explaining the consequeunces of installing the adware version.

all things considered, i would not hold back a recommendation of weather watcher because of this, but i would make VERY clear to people that they should NOT install the adware version.

if it was just ads inside the app i would have different advice, i'd say install the ad version if you dont mind ads and want to support developer.  in this case if you want to support developer, he has a donation button - send him a donation and include a note encouraging him to stop using such adware.

he's probably going to get plenty of hate mail from people who accidentally install the adware version and are quite upset so go easy on him :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version