ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

<< < (3/7) > >>

zridling:
I've built dozens of sites over the years born out of my interests at the time, and I know very, very little about website building! The longest running are these two:

Books with paper will eventually become extinct, but this site is a nice gateway. The Great Books is a compilation of over 240 great authors and their works. The Access Foundation List is liberal in scope, robust in its cataloging, and voluminously linked to other sites that help readers access and study great literature. This list devotes notable attention to works of philosophy and science, and is unrivaled in its organizational structure, background, and biographical content on the authors listed.... ACCESS FOUNDATION holds that time spent reading the Great Books is time well spent. Great books lists are not meant to be exclusive of any tradition or culture, but rather form a foundation of knowledge on which to stand. Reading the great books allays the "busyness" of modern life; encourages self-examination, increases reflection, and provokes intellectual curiosity. What follows is a list compiled by ACCESS FOUNDATION from a variety of sources, and based most notably from the one developed for the Great Books collection of the Encyclopædia Britannica by Robert M. Hutchins, Mortimer J. Adler, and Mark Van Doren. It is strongly recommended that the reader visit The Center for the Study of the Great Ideas for background on the ideas and formation of this list. To actively participate with others in a local discussion group, visit The Great Books Foundation, whose goal is "to build communities of readers who explore important ideas through enduring literature."

This list advocates great software along with notable Open Source software. It is composed of high quality programs that share most or all of the following features:
— (1) Ease of use based on a well-designed user interface;
— (2) A generous array of keyboard shortcuts (preferably customizable);
— (3) Customizability where applicable; and
— (4) Affordability.

CWuestefeld:
Aside from my personal blog...

http://hancockgaslease.com/ just went up last week. It's an information outlet of local interest only for residents of the Hancock, NY area. Energy companies just started leasing mineral rights from residents to drill for natural gas. The site is to keep everyone informed so they don't get taken advantage of -- and so they understand what the environmental impact is, to keep that protected as well.

Tangentially, I already commented to some friends how much easier this site was to set up compared to others I've done in the past. I wanted a blog and forum for the site, and GoDaddy really simplified this. They have automatic install scripts available for a half-dozen blogs, several forums (including SMF), and many other apps (e.g., photo galleries). All you've got to do is, from a control panel web page, select the app you want to install. The installer asks basic questions like DB password desired, and sets everything up for you. It made this a very pleasant experience.

allen:
I maintain a few...
Theprawn.com is my primary personal repository, with links to my (generally useless, if not pseudo-luddite) web toys including a wiki, some harder-to-use image generators and my pseudo-1995 chat script.

rereplace.com is my most useful, it's a web based PCRE search and replace solution

protempore.org really hasn't been used in several years, but was my hand-rolled poetry hosting solution for myself and a few friends who had a falling out with pathetic.org's pensiveness over free speech.

jarday.com Really should be my personal website, as it's an acronym/composite of my name but instead stands as the placeholder for my not-updated web development portfolio and services offered. I'm rather embarassed by it, not so much because of the design (I'm no designer, I like to stick with the backend development) but the general spiel there is... lousy. Ack.

y0himba:
I am quite boring actually.  My website is just whatever hits me at the time, I post it.
Nothing to see here, move along.

tomos:
As a noncoder who wanted to start an "IT_Analphabetic's" club with Curt (but I was too un-organised to get it together :-\) I think I qualify to start a series of post's highlighting dc member's sites which have very little to do with software :)

First (I only have two sites in mind so feel free to contribute!) is Brett's photos (link for site @ end of post)

One of the things I like about dc is the variety of people from all over the world that are involved. Well, Brett is the other side of the world from me so I find myself fascinated by these photographs of foreign landscapes

I'm not the best of critics but I just really like these photos
Having some small connection with the person who took them helps too of course (no disclaimer required :P)

go have a look!
outback pics

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version