topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website  (Read 40930 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
DC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:21 PM »
It's long overdue that we started a thread like this I think.

If you have a website (or two or ten), or help to run one, tell us about it!
Whether it's a commercial site or not, I don't think it matters.

Only one condition: You have to have made at least one other post on the forum about something NOT related to your website first!  In other words, don't be rude and make your first post on the forum all about yourself (and if you haven't found any interesting posts to comment on before now, check out the newsletters for ideas).

If you don't run a website but are dreaming of starting one, feel free to talk about that instead.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I've designed numerous web site for customers (in another life), but I'm now concentrating on just one: www.sqlnotes.net, which provides information, documentation, discussion forums, bug tracking and download for my information manager, SQLNotes (code name).

It is based on DotNetNuke (DNN) CMS for the most part (SQL Server based), with Mantis for the bug tracking part (modified from stock, MySQL based) and WikiSpaces for the collaborative documentation.

It was opened exactly 1 year ago. It was hosted on Brinkster and now on 1X Web hosting. Usage is typically 1000-2000 pages per day, and 150 unique visitors. Stats here
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:49 PM by PPLandry »

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Since you asked.  Below are the websites I developed and maintain as my own collection of fun and utility types websites.

Camera Summary:
Camera Summary is basically an online exif data extractor that provides information like: camera make / model, detailed information about how the picture was taken and even the thumbnail that was embedded in the file.

Distance Check:
Distance Check locates the distance and information about two Zip Codes. The distance is calculated and general information about each zip code, a map for each zip code and approximate driving time is displayed.

Make ASCII Art:
Convert any image into ASCII art. This online application will convert any color image into an image where all color pixels have been replaced with text.

Make Password:
One of the easiest online password generators which can generate a single random password or lists of hundreds of random passwords. You choose the character sets, password length and the quantity to create. Hash values can also be created for your convenience. This password generator is useful for getting a random password for personal use or for generating large lists of default passwords.

Page Headers:
Page Headers will return the http (server) header information from any valid URI. The http header information contains information about the webpage like: last modified, what type of server, if a redirect occured (and the location of the redirect) and the content length that will follow.

Quick Highlighter:
Doesn't get any easier than this to create a webpage from your source code.

Quick Thumbnail:
The fastest way to resize your pictures and images. Choose an image file, select some resize options, and hit Resize it. Your image will be uploaded to the server and resized, and then any or all of the resized images will be provided in a single convenient view. Not only can you get simultaneous generation of different sizes but you can enlarge your images too.

Whats Its Color:
Whats its color is an image-color processing utility that will evaluate an image and give you the image's primary and complementary dominant colors of an image, how many visually unique colors are in an image, and the top ten visually unique colors in an image.

Plus some random tools at: http://www.veign.com/tools/ like Ultra Fast Whois and Page Strength Check

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:06 PM »
In addition to these, there is probably another 25-30 websites in various stages of development sitting on my hard drive, and a bunch out there on the web that I don't remember creating.

App's Apps  
My software site containing a bunch of small applications, mostly in the time management & productivity category.

App's Trapps
Going in the opposite direction of my software that helps you get more done is this site that helps you waste more time. (Yes, it's a trap!) ;D

It's a work in progress and will become a world of addictive random randomness. Currently, it's just a endless gallery of random amusing images...just keep clicking.  ;)

(average visitor clicks about 73 times)

The SourceCode
This is the old website for my chatroom, containing old projects that some members worked on, old news, and other misc stuff.

For many of the members, the projects on that site is their "Hello World", or darn near close to it. (mine included)  :-*

The blog is still occasionally updated with a few interesting things. (A new site is in the works.)

RussoGraffix
My old art site, and one of the very first websites I ever made that still exists. Contains desktop wallpapers made by both my daughter & myself, screensavers, classic Winamp skins, Paintshop Pro tubes.

Free Programming Ebooks
This is my directory of free programming & technology related ebooks. My goal is to list every free programming book available on the web, in order to make it easier for the people that need them to find them.

There is absolutely no pirated books here.

Cranial Soup
My personal blog of thoughts, ideas, rants, web finds, and other misc stuff. A real mixed bag of stuff.

Mom's Cookbook
Originally started as a place to post recipes that my daughter called me up and asked for, I decided to keep it going after she moved back home and just keep posting stuff as I have the time & desire to do it...which is not all that often. Occasionally the recipes are accompanied with photos taken by my daughter.

omgplzstfukthx  
Watch what you say in public chatrooms. You could end up becoming forever trapped in a blog.  :P

I started this one when I got tired of Bash rejecting all my submissions. And, yes, there are some from our very own DonationCoder IRC channel.  :D

Read My Email  
We all have at least 1 friend that loves to forward us a ton of crap...jokes, virus warnings, hoaxes about microsoft donating burlap sacks stuffed with hay to people without a body only if you forward the email to everyone you know, etc.

Rather than forwarding this crap and becoming another annoying person that stuffs the inboxes of friends with unwanted stuff, I decided to post some of what I get here. Most of it is jokes that were sent to me by one single person...a friend's mother.  I still have about 500 of these emails from her that I haven't posted yet.  :o

So, if none of your friends send you stuff like this, or not enough of it, you can have your fill of it with mine whenever you want, without any of it cluttering your inbox.

Snailware  
A long neglected blog containing a few reviews of software that will run well on older, slower computers. (I really do need to start writing for this one again.) :-[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:11 AM by app103 »

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 04:14 AM »
hey yeah this is a great idea!

I own or operate these websites:

nrrd.dea friend and I started this as a nerd portal site, it will shortly be heading this direction again
nrrd.de/dasbuchis our largest project; it is supposed to be a project to collaboratively write a book about irc, and has lately been used mostly as a personal blog of several friends. Along with putting nrrd.de back on course, Das Buch will refocus on collaboration.
housetier.crew.c-base.orgis my crew page from my club c-base. The c-base reconstruction project (cbrp) is rebuilding a space station that crashed a couple of billion years ago and now lies under Berlin
seculogix.comis the website of the company I work for, the company belongs to another friend of mine

I own a couple of more domains, however they are dormant have no content whatsoever.

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:40 AM »
follvalsch.dethe entry point to my pet projects. right now there's only one of them listed, but there's more to come. The name is a pun in itself, in english it would be something like 'wotallytrong'
voobar.follvalsch.demore or less random open source stuff by moi, you'll find the lasted unofficial Mircyption/XChat code there
unlimitedmileage.neta friend an I did a west-coast roadtrip and were planning on doing a travel-log, we ended up traveling more than writing about it, and haven't gotten the chance to revive the project yet due to time constraints on both ends
nerddeutsch.dethis was a birthday present I got this year from housetier, now nerdy is that?! (it's a pun on 'Norddeutsch' the accumulative term for all northern German dialects), right now it's housetier's battleground for testing a new kind of drupal setup, but soon this will grow into something bigger ;)

there's a couple of other sites in the pipeline, but there's nothing to talk about, yet ;)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 07:44 AM »
Just Plain Super Its more or less just a personal site that I update with random things that I find interesting, and it has a forums page for people to just hang out.
[Insert really cool signature here]

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:39 AM »
icekin

That's my main site/ blog which I haven't updated in over 2 years. Now that I am out of uni, maybe that will get some work again, but looks unlikely as I have a job on my hands shortly. I've meanwhile written about nearly 30 articles in 2 years waiting to be published, but need refinement and formatting. That is the only site that I personally run.

In addition, I've done about 15 or so sites for various clients, but none of those sites are still being actively run by me. They were used purely as projects. One of my ideas at the moment is to go back into the web design business, but partner with someone else.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Basically the two on my signature.

Online TrID file identifier
It's a file identifier tool, one of the pages of the website where I put the various tools / apps / little projects I have coded.
You just upload a file, and it show his best guesses about what the file is (not just looking at his extension, off course).

File Extension Seeker
This is an alternative to the more known file extensions listing websites.
It let you make complex and very fast searches, and the DB is continuously updated from the above mentioned websites.
So for example you search for LID extension and you get the results from FILExt, FileInfo, File-Extensions and my TrID tool at the same time.

Bye!

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53 PM »
I run http://www.howtotuts.com/

Planning to revive it (co-blog) w/ icekin.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04 PM »
I've built dozens of sites over the years born out of my interests at the time, and I know very, very little about website building! The longest running are these two:

Books with paper will eventually become extinct, but this site is a nice gateway. The Great Books is a compilation of over 240 great authors and their works. The Access Foundation List is liberal in scope, robust in its cataloging, and voluminously linked to other sites that help readers access and study great literature. This list devotes notable attention to works of philosophy and science, and is unrivaled in its organizational structure, background, and biographical content on the authors listed.... ACCESS FOUNDATION holds that time spent reading the Great Books is time well spent. Great books lists are not meant to be exclusive of any tradition or culture, but rather form a foundation of knowledge on which to stand. Reading the great books allays the "busyness" of modern life; encourages self-examination, increases reflection, and provokes intellectual curiosity. What follows is a list compiled by ACCESS FOUNDATION from a variety of sources, and based most notably from the one developed for the Great Books collection of the Encyclopædia Britannica by Robert M. Hutchins, Mortimer J. Adler, and Mark Van Doren. It is strongly recommended that the reader visit The Center for the Study of the Great Ideas for background on the ideas and formation of this list. To actively participate with others in a local discussion group, visit The Great Books Foundation, whose goal is "to build communities of readers who explore important ideas through enduring literature."

This list advocates great software along with notable Open Source software. It is composed of high quality programs that share most or all of the following features:
— (1) Ease of use based on a well-designed user interface;
— (2) A generous array of keyboard shortcuts (preferably customizable);
— (3) Customizability where applicable; and
— (4) Affordability.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:07 PM by zridling »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Aside from my personal blog...

http://hancockgaslease.com/ just went up last week. It's an information outlet of local interest only for residents of the Hancock, NY area. Energy companies just started leasing mineral rights from residents to drill for natural gas. The site is to keep everyone informed so they don't get taken advantage of -- and so they understand what the environmental impact is, to keep that protected as well.

Tangentially, I already commented to some friends how much easier this site was to set up compared to others I've done in the past. I wanted a blog and forum for the site, and GoDaddy really simplified this. They have automatic install scripts available for a half-dozen blogs, several forums (including SMF), and many other apps (e.g., photo galleries). All you've got to do is, from a control panel web page, select the app you want to install. The installer asks basic questions like DB password desired, and sets everything up for you. It made this a very pleasant experience.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I maintain a few...
Theprawn.com is my primary personal repository, with links to my (generally useless, if not pseudo-luddite) web toys including a wiki, some harder-to-use image generators and my pseudo-1995 chat script.

rereplace.com is my most useful, it's a web based PCRE search and replace solution

protempore.org really hasn't been used in several years, but was my hand-rolled poetry hosting solution for myself and a few friends who had a falling out with pathetic.org's pensiveness over free speech.

jarday.com Really should be my personal website, as it's an acronym/composite of my name but instead stands as the placeholder for my not-updated web development portfolio and services offered. I'm rather embarassed by it, not so much because of the design (I'm no designer, I like to stick with the backend development) but the general spiel there is... lousy. Ack.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I am quite boring actually.  My website is just whatever hits me at the time, I post it.
Nothing to see here, move along.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Member's *non-software* sites starting with ...
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:51 PM »
As a noncoder who wanted to start an "IT_Analphabetic's" club with Curt (but I was too un-organised to get it together :-\) I think I qualify to start a series of post's highlighting dc member's sites which have very little to do with software :)

First (I only have two sites in mind so feel free to contribute!) is Brett's photos (link for site @ end of post)

Brett01.pngDC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

One of the things I like about dc is the variety of people from all over the world that are involved. Well, Brett is the other side of the world from me so I find myself fascinated by these photographs of foreign landscapes

Brett02.pngDC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

I'm not the best of critics but I just really like these photos
Having some small connection with the person who took them helps too of course (no disclaimer required :P)

Brett04.pngDC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

go have a look!
outback pics
Tom
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:41 PM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Member's *non-software* sites starting with ...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:12 PM »
tomos i'm going to merge this thread with:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13771.0

btw I really like the pictures.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:16 PM by mouser »

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I have only one somewhat relevant, and that is Delphi Scintilla Interface Components
It's just for my Delphisci component project, and has been somewhat unmaintained for a while due to various reasons, but
that seems to be possible to change now. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 01:07 PM »
myarmor, that's your component!?!
fantastic  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 01:17 PM »
myarmor, that's your component!?!
fantastic  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
Yes it is, and thank you.. :)
More about that in the bio.

Edit: Removed some unnecessary detail which doesn't seem to fit the thread.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:43 PM by myarmor »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 04:40 PM »
My site is BinaryNotions.com but my primary project is very much Halite, a bittorrent client.

haliteicon.png

nudone from here designed the icon. Thanks again nudone :Thmbsup:

destiny_ruler

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 01:32 AM »
Nothing so fancy about mine. After a good gap I have planned to go for blogging again. All credits to DC and mouser. Following is a link to the blog I have setup.

http://abhi.dcmembers.com/blog/

xbeta

• Friend of the Site
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • http://xbeta.info (blog of freeware)
    • View Profile
    • 善用佳软 the best freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11 AM »
my website, or call it a blog, is http://xbeta.info
the aim to write & publish, is to share my experience on freeware:
- find the best freeware, to alternate the not so good ones (free/share/commercial), to help people avoid crack
- share the principles and skills of using software
the Chinese name of the site 善 用 佳 软 means:
善 kindly & skillfully
用 use
佳 nice
软 software

maybe there are not so many Chinese readers here ( but I do meet some, even also my reader), so I help to exchange ideas and information between DC & Chinese.
- I translated some posts and homepage into Chinese:
  + Screenshot Captor homepage: http://xbeta.info/screenshot_captor.htm
  + how to use Screenshot Captor:http://blog.sina.com...6dac66f010004y3.html
  + translate of notetaking software review, http://blog.sina.com...6dac66f01000b55.html
  + translate of best text editor review: http://blog.sina.com...6dac66f010006k9.html
  + recently finished the translation of SQLNotes UI & homepage: http://xbeta.info/sqlnotes.htm

- publish some article of WPS, an office suite similar to MS Office, but only 40+MB

my friends, maybe these Chinese(or Chinses related) softare are familar to you:
- Maxthon, Avant Browser, Green Browser, the world,   they're all IE based rich featured broswer
- myBase, a free form note taker
- foxit reader, a lite and fast pdf reader
- Fast Stone Capture and so on
- download managers: netants, flashget, etc

If any friend want more Chinese to know your software (freeware best) or ideas, I'd like to help.

Also, welcome to Beijing. Welcome to 2008 Olympics.
▌ I use & promote <b>freeware</b>:
▌ vim/7-Zip/Firefox/IrfanView/Wink/Audacity/EverNote/AutoHotkey/GIMP/PDFCreator.........
▌ just at  <b>http://xbeta.info</b>

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 03:27 AM »
xbeta you rock.  : :Thmbsup:
Eóin and destiny ruler, really nice  :up:

i'm really loving this thread, i hope we can keep it going for a long time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 07:46 AM »
I've got quite a few, but most are pretty much neglected.

My main site is RenegadeMinds.com:

RenegadeMinds.pngDC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

I really like the next site. Design and graphics are from nudone here at DC.

Fair Warning. It is offensive to some people and uses coarse language in places. There is no nudity.

NSFW

FuckSatan.com

FuckSatan.pngDC Forum Members -- Tell Us About Your Website

I've got a bunch of others as well that basically run themselves. I'll have another one coming out relatively soon for a book I'm writing.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

xbeta

• Friend of the Site
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • http://xbeta.info (blog of freeware)
    • View Profile
    • 善用佳软 the best freeware
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 04:38 AM »
I do that, because your work, both DC & your software, are really great  :up: and helped me a lot.
Best wishes to this forum, all developers, and all readers do better and better.

xbeta you rock.  : :Thmbsup:
Eóin and destiny ruler, really nice  :up:
i'm really loving this thread, i hope we can keep it going for a long time.
▌ I use & promote <b>freeware</b>:
▌ vim/7-Zip/Firefox/IrfanView/Wink/Audacity/EverNote/AutoHotkey/GIMP/PDFCreator.........
▌ just at  <b>http://xbeta.info</b>