topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR Won't Start Programs - Vista  (Read 13173 times)

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR Won't Start Programs - Vista
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:18 AM »
I installed the program on the recommendation of PC Magazine. The code worked and it shows it registered to me under 'Help About'. It will list the program names when typing begins, however it will not launch anything. Hitting Enter or the Number beside the program only makes FindAndRunRobot disappear.

Sorry but this is far too much hassle for this type of program. It is back to Launchy for me. Thank you for the opportunity to try it.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)
    www.nscave.com
www.sammidoo.blogspot.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Won't Start Programs - Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:37 AM »
i'm sorry for you troubles..

an issue was found in the latest version which resulted in it not launching programs for some people; if you still have the patience you might try redownloading and see if it solves the problem:
https://www.donation...AndRunRobotSetup.exe

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:36 AM »
I appreciate the quick response.

Unfortunately the results were the same. I tried overwriting and then uninstalling and reinstalling from the link supplied, generating the key again, etc. without success. Sometimes with so many different configurations things just don't work the way they should and it looks like I am in that category this time.

Thanks again.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40 AM »
feel free to stop experimenting with FARR if you get frustrated.  as long as you are willing to test though i will try to fix and promise not to give up.

there is another option to check out, see this post:
https://www.donation...42.msg71626#msg71626

it's the "Always launch shortcuts directly instead of resolving links" option on the General options tab.

---

my experience is that for every 1 reported problem, there are dozens or more experiencing the same problem -- so i really do appreciate when people are willing to report such things as test.  feel free to email me at: [email protected] if i can help more directly.

anyway like i said, don't feel obligated to keep testing, but if you feel like it then i'll keep bugging you with things to test until we get it working :)

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Mostly successful this time. Unchecking the suggested box worked for all programs except Microsoft programs.

If you type in 'Excel' for example, "Microsoft Office Excel 2003.lnk" appears at the top of the list. This will not start the program.

Directly below "EXCEL.exe" is listed. This will start the program.

This seems to apply to all Microsoft programs which will only start from the exe selection whereas all others will start from the lnk or the exe selection.

At this point in time let me say that FARR starts all the programs much faster than Launchy and uses much less resources, which is the program I had been using. Being heavily involved in web activities I am a keyboard person and these types of programs are very important to me. This makes the program usable and I will continue using it to see how it goes. If I run into any other oddities I will let you know. After a period of testing on this Vista machine I will try it on one of my XP machines.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30 AM »
ok, progress!

try this version with that same option (no need to uninstall, just install new version on top of old):
https://www.donation...AndRunRobotSetup.exe

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44 AM »
100% Success!

That version works with the Microsoft programs and all other programs. The fastest loading of programs I have seen so far and I have tried quite a few.

I will give it a couple days work out, and if all goes well I will add a short review to my site(s) for all your efforts. Very much appreciated.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48 AM »
 :beerchug:

it's kind of bizarre how the different methods of launching work for some people and not others..
the new version that worked for you seemed to cause issues for others, so until i find a surefire single method that works for everyone, the next release will contain another option setting to choose the method.

again i want to thank you for taking the time to post and being willing to try out these different versions and settings -- it helps me make a better program for everyone and it's a huge help to me in resolving some of these tricky issues.  :up:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 09:50 AM »
bobblehead: nice that you didn't just give up, but stepped by here - might even end up benefiting other users as well :Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Wooo welcome to the forum bobblehead :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Won't Start Programs - Vista
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Note that as of 2.12.03 this has become an option -- so after you update to the next version you probably will have to go to general options tab and change launch method to method #2

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:42 PM »
I have used and tested this program extensively the last few days(currently including V2.12.03), since our previous posts and found it to be the best ever in the launching/research line. As mentioned above, method #1 works fine with XP, method #2 was necessary for the Vista laptop.

I also convinced several of my friends to try it and they have had very favorable reactions. Hopefully you will get some donations and I myself hope to do so before the six months runs out. As mentioned I wrote a small review for FARR on my website (http://xrl.in/7og), and a short blurb about it in yesterday's blog (http://xrl.in/7ts). I also  added a few Donationcoder buttons throughout my site.

As mentioned on my site, I have tried a lot of launcher type programs, and this one is the best yet.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)
    www.nscave.com
www.sammidoo.blogspot.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13 PM »
Thank you so much for such a nice write-up  :-* :-* :-*
It's impossible to describe how much such things help motivate me (or any coder) to keep working on a program -- it really does mean a lot to me.  Thank you.

ps. you might want to try a smaller dc image/button if you want to put one on your site, i think we have to retire those big ones.

some small ones:

and:

and:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:25 PM by mouser »

bobblehead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Good suggestion, I like the little white guy. 8) I will change them with tomorrows updates.

The credit is well deserved, I can tell by the latest version you have been putting a lot into it.

-=Geo=-
  (¯`·._.·ns¢ävË·._.·´¯)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53 AM »
So we can hunt this bug down, i've been testing the launch methods on my vista64 machine.

With the "use document launch helper utility" on,
 - method one launches everything with no problems.
 - method two can't launch .doc files decently, word opens but doesn't have any file open. Notepad files are opened correctly, and so are .lnk and executable files.

With the option  off,
 - method one launches everything correctly.
 - method two has the same effect as above.

So, one could say that in my system, the option has no effect, and the method one is preferrable.