topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.  (Read 212445 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Yes, this has been mentioned, and yes it is there in Linkman. At least I see it in the Pro version. Tools>Settings>Browser: List all your browsers here; first is "User-Defined".  Then, Tools>Settings>Launch URLs: Top left box entitled, "Launch URLs with:"
Hi, Jim.  I think I probably didn't make myself sufficiently clear.  I know that Linkman will work with a variety of browsers, and I know that I can go into Settings and tell it which browser to use.  But what I'd like is for it to simply use whichever supported browser I happen to have open.  Thus, if I've set it so that it should open bookmarks with Firefox but I happen to have Opera open instead, I'd like to be able to have it work with Opera without my having to go back into Settings and change things.   

How would it do that? I don't know of any bookmark program that knows what browser you have open. Did Powermarks do that?

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2009, 11:26 PM »
How would it do that? I don't know of any bookmark program that knows what browser you have open. Did Powermarks do that?

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.  I no longer have Powermarks on my computer, so I can't check.  But I thought it simply worked seamlessly regardless of which browser was open.

Oh well, at least Linkman will make a bookmark from any browser without my having to do anything special...I suppose it's possible that that's all that Powermarks did as well.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2009, 01:02 AM »
There are 2 issues here:

1] adding a URL/link into PM from an open browser window:
yes PM would add URL/link  from topmost/open/active browser window -like magic

2] opening a stored link from within PM in browser of yr choice - had to be chosen manually via right click or it'd open in default browser set in PM.

PM+IE worked (badly) via COM, PM+opera worked another way.
PM got confused if multiple IE windows were open - it'd add "topmost" (active) window's URL mostly, sometimes no. (COM object woes/leaks)

SKA

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50 AM »
OK. I thought that sounded too good to be true. I would love a bookmark program to know which browser I have open and launch URLs there. Probably could be done but wouldn't be easy, I imagine.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2009, 09:59 AM »
2] opening a stored link from within PM in browser of yr choice - had to be chosen manually via right click or it'd open in default browser set in PM.

Thanks, SKA, for the clarification.  Actually, I'd be delighted if I could simply right-click to tell Linkman which browser to use to open a stored link.  That seems to me considerably less cumbersome than having to go into Settings-->Launch URLs each time I want to use a browser other than the one I've specified as "open with."

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2009, 10:34 AM »
I'd be delighted if I could simply right-click to tell Linkman which browser to use to open a stored link.  That seems to me considerably less cumbersome than having to go into Settings-->Launch URLs each time I want to use a browser other than the one I've specified as "open with."

LinkStash has a series of hotkeys to open in current/new window with a series of browsers - so I could open the same page in IE, Firefox and Opera at the same time by hitting different hotkeys.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2009, 11:37 AM »
LinkStash has a series of hotkeys to open in current/new window with a series of browsers - so I could open the same page in IE, Firefox and Opera at the same time by hitting different hotkeys.
Both Firefox and Opera have right-click options to open the viewed page in each other's browsers or in IE, but I think it would nonetheless be faster and more efficient if Linkman had a right-click option like the one SKA describes Powermarks as having.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2009, 11:47 AM »
OK. I thought that sounded too good to be true. I would love a bookmark program to know which browser I have open and launch URLs there. Probably could be done but wouldn't be easy, I imagine.

Thanks!

Jim

It's fairly easy to do, it just has not been requested so far.

p.s.

Linkman HAS a function to launch a URL into the non default browser: Right Click Menu -> Launch in New Window with (IE, Firefox etc).

You can also set a specific browser in the URL properties.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:18 PM by Outertech Support »

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Cyberdiva

In PM one had to setup which browsers PM would link to,settings saved to
pm.ini file. Then all browsers would appear as choices if rightclick a link in PM's window.

Edit: Linkman already has similar feature (see above msg).

SKA
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:27 PM by SKA »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Linkman HAS a function to launch a URL into the non default browser: Right Click Menu -> Launch in New Window with (IE, Firefox etc).
-Outertech Support (April 01, 2009, 11:47 AM)

That's terrific!  Thanks so much for letting me know this.  Even though I've been using Linkman for about a year, I didn't realize this feature existed.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2009, 02:54 PM »
The more I read this thread the more I want to try Linkman, thanx to all. For years I wanted better bookmark management, FF3's tagging and storing went a long way but Linkman seems very good compared to the numerous bookmark managers I have tried over the years.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:56 PM by rgdot »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Hi Folks,

... Linkman seems very good compared to the numerous bookmark managers I have tried over the years.
-rgdot

True.  Earlier, there was no comparison between Powermarks and the bunch, and now Linkman has changed the landscape and added many new versatilities (e.g. User Defined fields, printing formats and maybe 5-10 or more others) that we are just working with now.  Since you learn how to pull up data quickly in Linkman, you begin to use it as your PIM (at least I do) .. the big problem with PIMs was .. combining one with bookmarks !

There may be some folks who don't tailor to Linkman well, and one or two other programs mentioned look like good, solid bookmark programs.  (To be fair to the others, e.g miTaggedMarks seems to be a worthy program, many/most bookmark programs though are just light nothings.) However with bookmarks as our central net-thought-repository, a sharp bookmark sword is very fine and so we like to really learn how to use the program.  Thus the discussions here.

On top of all that we have the programmer's responsiveness and willing to mix it up with folks in thoughtful dialog (both on forum and private) and then bring new ideas to fruition.  Very sweet, and builds a lot of confidence.  A lot of the recent features relate directly to discussions with DC folks.  And real substantive enhancements, such as the word-search toggle alternative mentioned here.

Oh, thanks for the kind words above, guys.  I really appreciate the thoughtfulness on DonationCoder, like folks want to use their puters like art and music and song .. humming nicely .. as well as simply solid good tools, wrenches and engines.  This neat tude makes it worthwhile to think through the posts and to read carefully.

Oh, I started to use Linkman for the Windows functions (remember I asked about the internal urls, which it turns out were already a feature).  System Restore and System Info and such.  A minor thing, and I still like XP Syspad which I sometimes keep open, and most of that stuff is not toooo hard to find. I would use Linkman as a launcher, a pseudo-Start-Menu except I have that well organized to my specs already. (e.g Start-->Utilities-->File Managers--> TotalCommander).

The internal feature is more for .html and .pdf and .jpg and .dbf and other files that you have on your disk for which you want to have quick recall, in the long run I could see some moderately heavy usage, perhaps in tandem with one of the net-notes type programs (Canaware, Surfalator,  Scrapbook or Zotero if they save to your disk would be the internal function, if to the net the normal URL bookmark function).  Anybody who forges ahead in those realms of net-note / bookmark combining, share away !

Shalom,
Steven 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:10 PM by Steven Avery »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Steven, I myself prefer using my bookmark manager only for exactly that purpose...going to bookmarked sites.  I can see how it functions naturally as a PIM also.  My problem is once you start getting into PIM stuff (which is a very complex thing in itself), it starts getting in the way of the simple functions.  So, I keep my PIM completely separate.

On the other hand, since the bookmarks themselves are PIM material and contain a lot of information, maybe a program like InfoQube can sync up with it and keep track of it in it's database.  For example, one of the "Grids" in Infoqube can be the bookmark grid and it can regularly sync with the Linkman bookmark file and get automatically updated using the Linkman fields.  I'm sure this can be implemented, IQ is very flexible like that.  That way, you will have your bookmark manager, but then when you need to do some more heavy duty PIM things, you can use your normal PIM program.

Kind of reminds me of Suruflator also, which is like a bookmark and PIM program combined.  But when it comes to PIM, IQ does so very much more.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2009, 11:11 PM »
I'm sure this can be implemented, IQ is very flexible like that.

I could not find the database format used, but if an ODBC driver exists (and one exists for most formats), then you can push this info into your IQBase on a single click. The same with the native FF bookmarks, which uses SQLite (as I use Foxmarks to sync with IE favorites, then both browsers bookmarks could be pushed to an IQBase.

Details avail upon request.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07 PM »
This seems to have become the de facto place for Linkman Pro support on DonationCoder so I'll post my small problem here. I haven't had time to explore solutions yet, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone had a good idea on where to look for a solution.

I'm running the latest registered version of Linkman Pro with Firefox v3.08 on (and this may be the cause of my problem right here) Windows 7 build 7068. The problem is that in Firefox clicking on any of the icons provided by the Firefox extension do absolutely nothing. The only thing that seems to work is right-clicking to get the menu and selecting "Visit Linkman homepage."

I'm thinking it's an UAC issue of some sort, but ideas/comments welcome.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2009, 10:04 PM »
We are using Windows 7 Build 7057 x86 and the Linkman Firefox 3.0.8 buttons work fine with default UAC settings.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2009, 07:46 PM »
I think there have been some changes in the way UAC works between 7057 and 7068. The only thing that makes me say this is I use Internet Download Accelerator with Firefox & the FlashGot extension. With 7057 clicking on download links worked as expected. With 7068 I get a UAC message to let ida.exe to make changes to my computer. I suspect there is some kind of UAC interference with Linkman as well, but no UAC message pops up for your program.

I'll be glad when Win7 hits RC status. At least things will be locked in and software developers like you can quit trying to hit a moving target.

QUICK EDIT: I want to stress that I don't blame OuterTech for things not working. I know Win7 is still in a state of flux. I don't regret buying Linkman at all...just a little frustrated things aren't 100% integrated right now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:48 PM by Innuendo »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Installed Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7068 x86 today. No changes were made after the installation. Installed Firefox 3.08 and Linkman 7.80. All Linkman buttons in Firefox are working fine.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2009, 02:46 PM »
Hmm...well, thanks for taking the time to check out my problem anyway, OuterTech Guy. I shall have to dig deeper and see what's interfering. It may well be one of the other extensions I have installed. Thanks for the help.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2009, 06:17 PM »
It's me again...back with more information, OuterTech Guy. It's true that the Linkman buttons in Firefox are working fine...IF I install everything to default locations. However, under my preferred way of setting things up Firefox is in D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox, Linkman is in D:\Program Files\Linkman, and my Firefox profile is in D:\Data and Settings\Firefox.

Under that setup the Linkman buttons in Firefox do not work at all.

EDIT: Curiouser and curiouser...from a fresh install installing to my file locations does not work. However, after installing everything to default locations and then later starting Firefox with the -p parameter and pointing it to my profile in D:\Data and Settings\Firefox which did not work at all before....now everything works in regard to the Linkman buttons in Firefox! Glad I'm not the one to have to debug why it's working now and it didn't before.

Thanks again, OuterTech Guy....without your message stating that it did work with Firefox 3.08 under Windows 7 build 7068 I wouldn't have kept on with the trial and error.

EDIT2: The odd behavior seems to be an interaction between Linkman Pro and Roboform Pro. I've got it working for now. Hopefully, it will keep working.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:06 PM by Innuendo »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I think I've eliminated Roboform Pro as a culprit, but I have 34 other extensions in Firefox and I don't have the energy to go through them all. Besides, as crazy as it sounds I use nearly every one of those extensions every day so every one is essential. Like I said, it's all working now so don't worry about it anymore, OuterTech Guy.

BTW, I was reading some of the early posts on this forum (maybe even in this thread) about earlier versions of Linkman Pro and how functionality that was in IE could not be duplicated exactly in Firefox due to the way the OS handled toolbars and such. I'd like to say that the way you composed the Firefox extension to bring Linkman's full functionality into Firefox is a very elegant solution. I wish more software authors were as inventive as you guys.

I daresay I actually prefer the Firefox extension over the IE toolbar as the extension doesn't take anything from the browser area screen real estate. It all sits down in the status bar out of the way....counting all four Linkman buttons I've got 10 buttons down there. :)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2009, 05:26 PM »
We have a new build out, 7.8.0.12.

Major changes:

- fixed import of Firefox 3 bookmarks modified by external programs
- fixed import of Favorites modified by Foxmarks
- removed Chrome import, until Google decides to stop playing around with the data format
- Linkman now auto-corrects links to local files with wrong space convertions in file names

Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite):

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...iles/linkmanlite.exe

--

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2009, 02:26 AM »
Coming back to the issue of PowerMarks replacement, I think, I have narrowed down my search to LinkMan (offline) & Diigo (online: http://www.diigo.com). I was rather reluctant to keep my bookmarks online, but Diigo has been such a perfect replacement for PowerMarks, that I have been won over :-). It offers me more or less all the features, which made PowerMarks such a gem.

This brings me to a query. Is there a way to synchronize LinkMan and Diigo bookmarks, with all the tags intact. I tried a google search, and found a couple of references to this query, but with no satisfactory answer.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2009, 02:33 AM »
As far as I know Dingo has no developer API.

m9833

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2009, 08:44 AM »
I guess that means no synchronization in the near future :-(. Ah well!!! That would have been too good to be true: Two Near Perfect Solutions, able to communicate with each other :-). I guess, I will simply continue using both separately, until then. Thanks for your quick reply.

BTW: I did a search for Dingo, just to be sure that it wasn't a typo, and came across pictures of a Dog species I did not know about earlier. Every Typos can be very educational :-D