ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.

<< < (24/42) > >>

Outertech Support:
A new Donationcoder Linkman Pro discount coupon is available:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=13127.new#new

cyberdiva:
Hmm. That should be interesting to try.  Does it give you a yes/no option ? Does it look like it uses content matching under the domain ?  From above it looks like a Pro-only feature, since validation is part of the differences. If so, it is a nice plus for pro.-Steven Avery (March 30, 2009, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think there's a yes/no option, but I could be wrong.  I appreciate the updating when it occurs, so I never looked for a way to turn it off. 

What irked me so much before was that Linkman could give the user the impression of adding and updating (and it would keep the new adds and updates visible for the session in memory) and that the additions would vanish on closing.  This I believe is improper.  If something is not going to be saved it should not give the appearance of being accepted. -Steven Avery
--- End quote ---

I agree that this does not seem like a reasonable way for the software to behave.  I wonder whether it was just a glitch rather than Outertech's intended policy.  They've seemed so sensible about most things.... 

Checking to see what is in the Pro that I need or will use some.  I can definitely see a single-license for a separate USB installation.  The other pro-feature aspects above are bit deep for me right now (each one is a paragraph discussion with its own research. I think the Pro version metatag feature may, by default, bring in too many metatags, who wants dozens ?).  While the "Replace feature" is not on the list of differences at the Linkman site om 12/2008 (and the replace and edit features seem to work fine in Lite).-Steven Avery
--- End quote ---

For me, the URL validation is so good and so useful that I'd buy the Pro version just to be able to get that.  The other features are currently of less interest to me.  And I agree with you about metatag retrieval.  In fact, when I started using Linkman last spring, I quickly turned off metatag retrieval for both keywords and description.  I felt it provided a lot of irrelevant tags that would screw up my searches.  I much prefer to assign whatever information I think is useful.  Perhaps some day I'll want to use Linkman in a USB installation, but not at present.  I did eventually buy a second license so I could put Linkman Pro on my laptop as well as my desktop

Meanwhile I took Jing pics as well to send to Trialpay and RingCentral, asking why they do not give proper response and honor the offer.  Lots of runaround. Outertech says their experience with Trialpay has been good unraveling offer difficulties. -Steven Avery
--- End quote ---

Good luck getting all that sorted out.  Though now that Outertech has offered a substantial discount, perhaps the best thing would be for Trialpay and RingCentral to continue to ignore you  :)

Outertech Support:
I don't think there's a yes/no option, but I could be wrong.  I appreciate the updating when it occurs, so I never looked for a way to turn it off. -cyberdiva (March 30, 2009, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is an option directly in the URL Validation dialog ("Update moved pages").

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

I agree that this does not seem like a reasonable way for the software to behave.  I wonder whether it was just a glitch rather than Outertech's intended policy.  They've seemed so sensible about most things....  -cyberdiva
--- End quote ---

My theory - there was an historical dynamic in the bifurcation of the two programs-- free and pro -- and the dialectic resulted in the synthesis of the aberrant behaviour. :)

While the "Replace feature" is not on the list of differences at the Linkman site om 12/2008 (and the replace and edit features seem to work fine in Lite).-Steven Avery
--- End quote ---

Additional info. Outertech tells me there is is a search and replace feature in pro, a nice feature that you might use occasionally.  e.g. to combine two similar words to eliminate the Boolean need, similarly a bad speller might clean up that way or, to shorten a long name, or to give a common two-word phrase a unique name so they don't show up in the individual words.  Clearly not a necessity but a nice feature to know it is there.

For me, the URL validation is so good and so useful that I'd buy the Pro version just to be able to get that. -cyberdiva
--- End quote ---

Good to know.  I still wonder if they search the domain for the updated page, or what.

And I agree with you about metatag retrieval.  In fact, when I started using Linkman last spring, I quickly turned off metatag retrieval for both keywords and description.-cyberdiva
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I am doing that now, at least definitely keywords.  Is there another setting in Pro for the metatags ?

Linkman tells me about the pro:

"You can e.g. extract the "Language" meta tag from webpages and put it to say the User Defined field 2."

So you have a bit of lite programmability. Not sure how I would use that (although the multi-lingual possibility is one valid usage for those with a lot of diverse language usage).

Perhaps some day I'll want to use Linkman in a USB installation, but not at present.  I did eventually buy a second license so I could put Linkman Pro on my laptop as well as my desktop ...Though now that Outertech has offered a substantial discount, perhaps the best thing would be for Trialpay and RingCentral to continue to ignore you  :)
-cyberdiva
--- End quote ---

Right.  They have a day or two to figger it out.  And the biggest Linkman new discount (tanx, Outertech !) is through the 4th.  So assuming Trialpay and RingCentral remain obtuse, the big question is which Pro license to buy.  The discount is a good incentive to go for the 2-license, the second license then is under $10.  The 5-license is probably overkill for me, the 1-license a bit sketchy, considering the heavy usage on a couple of computers.

Now I am playing with priorities a little.  Outertech and I had some discussion about response time under various circumstances, now I have Process Tamer to "Force High" which seems to help quite a bit  (I had similarly put Powermarks on "Force Above Normal".)  The idea is that there is quick processing post-keyboard-hitting (unlike a browser which is doing and waiting for online stuff or an email program which could slow you down for five minutes while downloading) and the differences can be large.  When you hit a query you want the puter to drop pretty much everything and read your words and start to process. Since Linkman is not doing much other than the couple of seconds of a search or link addition (and the auto-save which I have at 15 minutes) I believe it is a natural for the high priority, without hurting other programs.

Shalom,
Steven

superboyac:
Steven, I love your posts.  Always informative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version