topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.  (Read 212048 times)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 11:43 PM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:57 AM by SKA »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08 PM »
Anyone by any chance know of a linux equivalent of PowerMarks? Maybe something that's even compatible (longshot, I know)...

markstone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45 AM »
I believe most of the features mentioned by Superboyac and others are added to <Power Favorites> now. Please just list your requests if you need some new features to rock with your bookmarks :).

Eno

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2008, 09:51 AM »
I also use powermarks but the since upgrading to IE v7.0.5730.13 I cant seem to get the powermarks toolbar to show I have tried reinstalling powermarks but no joy.  :(

I have tried Power Favourites but find the lack of a last visited column restrictive
Also the lack of time added in the Add date column
miTaggedMarks imported the times visited strait from powermarks Power Favourites didn't
I also find the lack of the rating column annoying

Powermarks is the benchmark for any program I am looking for, no bells and whistles just a program that does its job  :)

I have tried linkman pro and once I got rid of the bits I didn't want on screen found it really good
again though it did not import the visited numbers from powermarks
What I do like about it is from the linkman tool bar in IE7 I can add URLs easily but I can also type into the search as you type box and as you type it shows the results in a box next to it so more that not I do not even need to open the linkman main screen for most of my searching.
If I do need to I can use a hotkey or just open the main screen from the toolbar

I would like to get the toolbar for powermarks working but if not so far for me linkman pro comes next then Power Favourites

As others have said Power Favourites is getting there it just needs to copy all the features that make powermarks so good ( more customisation etc ) and then it could be a winner 

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 10:22 AM »
I believe most of the features mentioned by Superboyac and others are added to <Power Favorites> now. Please just list your requests if you need some new features to rock with your bookmarks :).
Great news.  I'm going to check it out.  Thanks!

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11 AM »
I also use powermarks but the since upgrading to IE v7.0.5730.13 I cant seem to get the powermarks toolbar to show I have tried reinstalling powermarks but no joy.  :(

I have tried Power Favourites but find the lack of a last visited column restrictive
miTaggedMarks imported the times visited strait from powermarks Power Favourites didn't

Powermarks is the benchmark for any program I am looking for, no bells and whistles just a program that does its job  :)

I have tried linkman pro and once I got rid of the bits I didn't want on screen found it really good
again though it did not import the visited numbers from powermarks
What I do like about it is from the linkman tool bar in IE7 I can add URLs easily but I can also type into the search as you type box and as you type it shows the results in a box next to it so more that not I do not even need to open the linkman main screen for most of my searching.
If I do need to I can use a hotkey or just open the main screen from the toolbar

I would like to get the toolbar for powermarks working but if not so far for me linkman pro comes next then Power Favourites

As others have said Power Favourites is getting there it just needs to copy all the features that make powermarks so good ( more customisation etc ) and then it could be a winner 

Strange, Powermarks works perfectly with IE v7.0.5730.13 for me.

Eno

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Patteo - THANKS After your reply I had another go at reinstalling powermarks
I used End It All to close down everything but the system 
I then used Revo uninstaller to uninstall and clean the registry
I then did a clean install

AND IT WORKED  :Thmbsup:

I now realise again how good it actually is - It just works

Thanks Patteo I thought I had lost it  :-[

Eno
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:41 PM by Eno »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Patteo - THANKS After your reply I had another go at reinstalling powermarks
I used End It All to close down everything but the system 
I then used Revo uninstaller to uninstall and clean the registry
I then did a clean install

AND IT WORKED  :Thmbsup:

I now realise again how good it actually is - It just works

Thanks Patteo I thought I had lost it  :-[

Eno

Thank you Eno, for mentioning End It All.

I downloaded it like 3 years ago but never got around to install or use it because I was using the free tools from www.sysinternals.com (now absorbed by Microsoft but still free).

By the way, I stopped cleaning my registry years ago because of the controversy over registry cleaning. Which cleaner do you use if I may ask, not that I'm going to start cleaning registry again, but who knows, if I get desperate again one day I may.

Eno

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 05:42 AM »

Which cleaner do you use if I may ask,

TuneUp Utilities every day on a schedule, seems very stable and have used it for some years now
occasionally CCleaner's registry cleaner I also use CCleaner every day just to clean
I defrag everyday with perfectdisk again very stable

I use XP home and if I don't use the three programs above I notice a difference so am very pleased with them

I use end it all but have just downloaded (but not tried) smartclose from
http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/

Eno

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Wow, excellent work there.  You really implemented those new features!  This is turning out to be great.

I am running into a little error right now, I'll explain later...

I really like the addition of the bookmark add, silent add in the tray.  Is there any way to have those 3 buttons in firefox so we can stick it in the toolbar somewhere?
Also, can we have an option where once we call up Power Favorites and select a bookmark, it will minimize the program automatically back to the tray so the window doesn't hang around in the back?
The error I'm getting is this:  When I select a bookmark from Power Favorites, it doesn't work and gives me a message dialog box "Cannot open clipboard" with just an OK button.  I use a clipboard manager (ARSclip) that may be causing this because if I close it, PF works fine.  Can this be solved on your end?

For everyone interested in a Powermarks replacement, Power Favorites is really close.  That's my official word.

markstone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 07:39 AM »

The new version has added the feature for customize column. Import the times visited from powermarks is also added now.
columns.png

For everyone interested in a Powermarks replacement, Power Favorites is really close.  That's my official word.

Thank you, Superboyac. Your words inspire me to code more. :)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Kudos to you, markstone, for listening to user feedback and requests! That's always nice and by no means something all software developers do :Thmbsup:

thorazine74

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Regarding PowerMarks, I tried it and at first sight I see three big limitations with it:

- When importing from Firefox, if you have several profiles, it chooses just one, without letting you import the other profiles' bookmarks.
 - All imported bookmarks end up in the tree root. A choice to select where do you want the imported bookmarks to be put would be nice.
 - I didnt find any way to reorganize folders: drag and drop doesnt work in the folder tree frame, and only bookmark items show up in the right frame.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2008, 02:13 AM »
In case anyone is interested.

Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily.

Power Favorites is a bookmark manager for Windows that helps you organize and synchronize your bookmarks. It takes bookmarks from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Opera, merges them into one file, and automatically synchronizes them between computers. You can use it to detect dead links and duplicates if you have many bookmarks.

Active Giveaway time left: 23 hours 50 minutes"
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

TexasT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Regarding PowerMarks, I tried it and at first sight I see three big limitations with it:
[snip]
 - All imported bookmarks end up in the tree root. A choice to select where do you want the imported bookmarks to be put would be nice.
 - I didnt find any way to reorganize folders: drag and drop doesnt work in the folder tree frame, and only bookmark items show up in the right frame.

That's just the beauty of Powermarks: it does not use folders at all!  :)  It uses keywords and an incredibly efficient and lightning-fast search engine. As you start to type a keyword, bookmarks start dropping off the list if they don't have those characters in their keywords.

You can also tag keywords and use those as "folders" if you wish, because they show up on the left pane, and if you clic on a tagged keyword, all bookmarks labeled with it will show on the screen.

If you've ever used Gmail with its tags instead of folders, you'll understand the Powermarks system -- one huge difference is that the PM search is much better than Gmail's, since it's instant and incremental.

Powermarks also does not allow duplicate URLs, so you don't have to worry about weeding them out. If you bookmark something that's already there, it'll pop up the existing bookmark window so you can add keywords or comments, etc.

Once you've used Powermarks for a while, going back to organizing in folders seems like a huge step back into the age of dinosaurs.  :D

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Nevertheless, as I said, tomorrow I'll try compiling my script and see if I can attach it to a button for the Firefox users who want one.

Twinkler, I've been off this thread for a little while as I've been too busy. I would like to refocus this thread back to Powermarks work arounds.

Have you managed to compile the script and attached it to a button for us Firefox users ? Thanks

vizacc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2008, 08:12 PM »
hi,
one of our staff here wrote this:

[attach=#2][/attach]

[attach=#1][/attach]

based on keywords instead of folders.

when you surf to this site, it also auto-logon for you.

coming shortly, will start beta test soon.

liberal license agreement. install on as many PCs as you want*

* may be subject to change without notice

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:28 PM by vizacc »

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 09:36 AM »
superboyac, I suggest doing the following:

1. in your Powermarks options, in the Startup section, check "Start Powermarks when Windows starts"
2. in your Powermarks options, in the Hotkeys section, set "Add bookmark from browser" to alt+ctrl+=
3. if you haven't already, install AutoHotkey and read the tutorial for basic info on how it works
4. create a new file called hotkeys.ahk, copy the code below into it (modified for your hotkey), and save it
5. set the hotkey to be defined for your system at startup by adding a shortcut to hotkeys.ahk to your startup folder
6. reboot

^+=::
   Clipsave = %Clipboard%                    ; save the current clipboard contents
   WinActivate Firefox                       ; move to the Firefox window
   WinWaitActive Firefox                     ; wait until the Firefox window is active
   Send !d^c                                 ; copy the page's URL
   Send !^=                                  ; simulate the hotkey for "Add bookmark from browser"
   WinWaitActive Bookmark Properties         ; wait until the new blank powermark appears
   Send {Tab}                                ; move to the URL field
   ControlGetFocus, ControlName              ; wait until we're at the URL field
   loop
   {
      if ControlName = Edit7
         break
      sleep 50
      ControlGetFocus, ControlName
   }
   Send ^v                                   ; paste in the URL
   Send !f                                   ; hit the Fetch button
   WinWaitActive Updating Powermark          ; wait until the fetch finishes
   ControlGetText, ButtonText, Button1
   loop
   {
      if ButtonText = OK
         break
      sleep 50
      ControlGetText, ButtonText, Button1
   }
   Send {Enter}                              ; close the fetch window
   WinWaitActive Bookmark Properties         ; wait until the fetch window closes
   Send {Tab}{Del}^+{End}{Del}               ; delete the fetched keywords so I can enter my own
   Clipboard = %Clipsave%                    ; restore the previous clipboard contents
   return

Now, Powermarks and AutoHotkey will run in the background. Hitting shift+ctrl+= will run the code associated with that hotkey. One of the things that code will do is simulate pressing alt+ctrl+=, which you've set in Powermarks as the hotkey to add a bookmark. You don't have to mess with compiling the script.

A: Additional line needed for code
I found that it is necessary to add this line to the top of the script

SetTitleMatchMode 2

The reason is that if you do not, then autohotkey will not be able to find the Firefox window unless Firefox appears as the first word in the title bar.

See extract of the autohotkey help file below
----------------
Sets the matching behavior of the WinTitle parameter in commands such as WinWait.

SetTitleMatchMode, MatchMode
SetTitleMatchMode, Fast|Slow

Parameters
MatchMode
 One of the following digits or the word RegEx:

1: A window's title must start with the specified WinTitle to be a match.
2: A window's title can contain WinTitle anywhere inside it to be a match.
3: A window's title must exactly match WinTitle to be a match.
-----------------

B: Errors in Powermarks Bld 387 menus and also in the help file (Shortcut Keys portion)

Another point to note is that in Powermarks Bld 387, the second and third items are incorrectly labeled. The hotkeys are also incorrect. Crtl+Ins does not work and should have been Alt+ A instead

Add from Clipboard          Alt+A
Fast Add from Clipboard   Crtl+Ins

In fact they are both the same items so the correct labels are :

Fast Add from Clipboard    Alt+A
Fast Add from Clipboard    Alt+A

Note that in the help file, which has not changed since Bld 344, the help file says under shortcut keys says

Ctrl+Ins    Fast Add - Add bookmark from browser with no editing
Alt+Ins     Add URL from clipboard

In fact both the listed shortcut keys Ctrl+Ins and Alt+Ins do not work. So you can safely ignore them.

Too bad, there were no bug fixes for them

But no matter, if you follow twinkler's ahk script and just use Twinkler's shortcut hotkeys, Powermarks will work as advertised.

When I have sometime, I'll likely take a closer look at Power Favorites to determine if it is worthy of being a Powermarks alternative, or even better, hopefully surpass it.

But in the meantime, I'm at least back in Powermarks heaven.

Hopefully, someone will find a way to create a button for Firefox, to attach a autohotkey command to it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:09 AM by patteo »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 01:09 AM »
Just released Linkman 7.60 (Freeware and Shareware versions available).

Here is a screenshot of the Firefox 3 integration (IE intergration is similar to this).

linkman_firefox.png

100 Page PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf

More information here:

https://www.donation...x.php?topic=12687.75
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:21 PM by Outertech Support »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2008, 01:10 PM »
We have a new Linkman Build (7.6.0.16) available.

Among further improvements to Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer integration we have also created an introductory Linkman video.

Video:

http://www.outertech...rststeps_firefox.wmv

Direct download:

http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.zip

Webpage of Freeware version:

http://linkmanfree.outertech.com

Webpage of Shareware version:

http://linkmanpro.outertech.com

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Hi Folks,

Nice thread, been off-forum a bit.  I also use Powermarks, one of the 50K users, and it is my defacto PIM, password manager, research assistant and soup kitchen as well.  I would definitely keep Firefox in the 2.whatever rather than lose Powermarks functionality.  I just tried the 3.0 upgrade at work and saw the loss of the toolbar.

(Ironically the Firefox toolbar was a Powermarks workaround that turned out to be a lot better than the normal Opera and IE Powermarks add and so I hope to follow suggestions here for creating similar functionality in Opera). Btw, SeaBiscuit, oh wait, SeaMonkey also failed in an earlier try, but nobody cares much about that.  I think I tried to fake it out to be Netscape but it only worked in one direction (two directions = opening web pages and adding bookmarks, the 2nd is the critical one.)

So I will try to try the suggestions here in the next days, getting the autosuperduperhotkey kludge button working on Firefox :) and also PowerFavorites or Linkman or whatever might do the job.   I doubt that my full functionality will be maintained in the newbies but it is worth a try.  And I might end up with two tools.

It is nice to at least see that a number of people know that this is the most superb, clean program around, with Fineprint a nice second.   Maybe, maybe .. somebody will take the idea and run even further, as I can see all sorts of potential enhancements, if anybody could ever get up to the standard Powermarks functionality.

Oh, 50K bookmarks, working as a PIM is .. FAST.  Using the task booster (maybe the one from here) helped with the only one slowdown problem, that the first keystrokes can be slow on loading when the program is asleep, perhaps swapped out by Windows.  Once the program is awake, 50K bookmarks is twiddles.

The programmer was responsive to a question or two, helping with the registration issues when he was retiring the program, perhaps like with Keynote the problem of tools and code and data files changing too much became a burden not worth the small income.  Or personal and life things may have simply changed direction.  It would be nice if he would share with a smidgen more, however either way thanks for a program that has helped make my years of Internet browsing and research much smoother and neater. 

(On forums where I post sometimes other posters seem a bit surprised at how well I can find information .. little do they know that I bookmarked the basic sites two years ago or five years ago in Powermarks with a couple of simple keywords.  Once you learn the keyword methodology and become comfortable you simply develop your own systems, whether for signons or research or this or that.)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:26 PM by Steven Avery »

bettersnr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I'm delighted to have found this thread.
Powermarks is, hands down, the best bookmark tracking tool that I've used and I've used many since I started when web browsing did.
Thanks to those who have contributed here toward extending powermarks' lifetime and stimulating the development of similar programs like Power Favorites and Linkman.
I really don't understand how people get much benefit from large bookmark collections without tools like these since any cataloging approach invariably fails due to difficulty of determining an enduring item classification.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Linkman 7.70 is out:

<ul><li>Firefox 3.1 compatibility and integration enhancements</li>
<li>Added feature to Internet Explorer to add all Tabs at once to Linkman</li>
<li>Over 20 new mouse and keyboard Shortcuts</li>
<li>Improved USB Stick installation: Linkman will find his link databases even if you move them between different USB Sticks and Computers</li>
<li>User Interface tweaks and speedups</li>
<li>More Screenshots added to CHM and PDF tutorials</li>
<li>Query search improvements: and search is now active by default (instead of phrase search)

Example:

Before you had to type: hardware and news and not 3d

Now it's enough to type: hardware news not 3d

if you want to search for the phrase hardware news type "hardware news" instead</ul>
Web: http://linkman.outertech.com

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2008, 11:14 AM »

Today I did the download and the import of 50K bookmarks, that went really nice.  The speed is definitely acceptable, I think a smidgen slower than Powermarks, overall fast enough and better than expected.

Here is a suggestion. Since I end up using this as a multi-database as well, how about a few user defined fields ?  The ability to add a spot of specialty data and then sort on it as well would be very nice. Even if you had 3 to 5 such fields they might be used in 20 or 50 different ways (taking advantage of the fact that the keyword brings down like records).  I use my bookmark program as a database program and research assistant. (Clump 20 bookmarks together under my own recognizable keyword and open them up when it is time to work on the project.  Something as simple as a Bible verse number might be the keyword.) 

Any support/web/email forum around, where we can chat, or should we use Donationcoder threads for all this type of stuff, at least for the forseeable future ?

One feature I do not see is the ability to decide when opening a URL is which browser and whether you are opening a new window or new tab.  The "which browser" especially is used a lot, I realize you can go in and temporarily change the default browser but that is not elegant.  Am I missing something, or maybe this is coming soon ?

Impressive.  I will consider bypassing the AutoHotkey ideas for Powermarks (or staying with Firefox 2.0).  And simply doing the Power Favorites move.

Hopefully, more shortly.  Just wanted to give the preliminary response.  Impressed on the ease of setup and import with my existing 50K bookmarks.  And having the full key-by-key search capability that a Powermarks user must have in a new product, with decent speed..  With that working, and the program is alive and enhanced and solid and moving along, this could be exactly what the Bookmark doctor ordered.

Shalom,
Steven

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2009, 06:52 AM »
So... any chance of a DC discount? ;)

Quite liking how Power Favorites is developing, so would be excellent to see a discount, although the price isn't too bad I should add.